Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

"Just pump and put it in a cup!"

Posted by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 3:39 PM
  • 203 Replies
3 moms liked this

That's the typical response when someone doesn't think a child should be nursing beyond a certain age (1 or 2, usually), correct?    I've always countered that with the fact that most moms can't pump much beyond the first year and that it's hard to maintain, but I've never actually experienced it firsthand, until now.

My 13 mo old daughter is on day 11 of a monster nursing strike.   She has not nursed once in 11 days.   I've been pumping to have milk to give her, and to hopefully maintain supply as much as possible, but it was clear that would be near impossible within the first few days.  

The first day I pumped 4 times and got 9oz total.   Great!

Second day, I pumped 4 times and got 6oz...

Third day, pumped 4 times and got 4 oz.  

I'm currently down to about an oz of milk per day.   Luckily, a good friend has an ample freezer stash that she has donated to my stubborn little girl so she's still getting about 9oz of mama milk a day (plus cheese and yogurt, & water and other foods, etc..)... but it just made me think about that line: "just pump and put it in a cup!", as if it's SOO easy!

If you have ever used that line when discussing full term breastfeeding, does my experience help you to understand how unreasonable such a suggestion is for many moms?

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 3:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stormcris
by Christy on Jul. 29, 2013 at 3:42 PM
22 moms liked this

No disrespect intended but if she is stopping nursing on her own why are you trying to force it upon her?

stringtheory
by Gold Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 3:44 PM
12 moms liked this
Uh, would a "nursing strike" that long maybe be self weaning? Pardon my ignorance, but I guess if I stopped producing milk because DD decided on her own not to nurse, I would chalk it up to the natural progression of things...
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jul. 29, 2013 at 3:47 PM

It is not my business if a mom nurses, or not, or for how long.

If I find the length of time to be longer than what I find to be reasonable, I do not carry a sign around offering my opinion.  Unless asked, and I have yet to be, my opinion remains with me.

Unless, of course, I am talking here on CM, where we all state our opinions. lol

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jul. 29, 2013 at 3:48 PM
2 moms liked this

So here is a question, if she has stopped nursing on her own, why are you making the attempt to force the issue?

SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Jul. 29, 2013 at 3:53 PM
2 moms liked this

In reply to all: 

Because she still needs milk and I have a personal minimum goal of 2 years of nursing for my kids... if this happened a year from now, I'd say great and that would be that... but, I don't think it's fair to rob her of the important nutrients and comfort that she will need over the next year.   She's not old enough to make a decision like this and it would be irresponsible to just "let it go", especially since she will probably begin asking to nurse again in the coming weeks.   (she got hand foot mouth and the sores made nursing painful, so we're basically hoping once they heal she'll go right back to it). 

PamR
by Pam on Jul. 29, 2013 at 3:55 PM
1 mom liked this

It sounds like she's ready to wean.  Why not just go with it?  She's old enough to be fine without breastmilk.  I understand your desire to continue for a few more months, but sometimes the child just lets you know when they're ready.

celestegood
by Silver Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 3:58 PM
Babies have nursing strikes. It doesn't mean shes physically ready to wean.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Jul. 29, 2013 at 4:00 PM

Quoting PamR:

It sounds like she's ready to wean.  Why not just go with it?  She's old enough to be fine without breastmilk.

Weaning happens over the course of months... not overnight.   There's a big difference between a nursing strike and weaning, and going on a strike doesn't mean that the child is ready for weaning.   As the parent, it's our job to do whats best for them whether they like it or not, right?   ;)

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Jul. 29, 2013 at 4:01 PM

There are techniques that make it possible for never-pregnant women, and women whose last babies stopped nursing more than 30 years ago to produce an adequate supply for a newborn...

... so it's a cool idea, but it's unrelated to reality.

The reality is, no matter how good a pump is, it's not good at stimulating the nerves that tell the body to make more milk, period. It's extremely difficult to build or maintain a supply with a pump alone.

fireangel5
by Gold Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Sounds like she is ready to wean. I am all for breastfeeding but it has to end sometime. Some babies stop sooner than others. Why not accept that she may be done and move on to the next phase? When my boys were small, my Dr. let me put them on whole milk after a year. Not sure if things have changed since then, but you may want to inquire. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)