Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Crisis Pregnancy Centers in VA have a problem...

Posted by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 4:07 PM
  • 25 Replies

...with the truth.

NARALVA's 2013 CPC report is out:

http://www.naralva.org/what-is-choice/cpc/revealed.shtml

Quote:

Investigation Findings

The investigation, conducted by NARAL Pro-Choice Virginia Foundation staff and volunteers, included 77 phone calls and 10 in-person visits to 56 of the 58 CPCs in the Commonwealth. The study’s findings demonstrate that the vast majority of Virginia CPCs continue to relay medically inaccurate information to potential and current clientele about infertility, fetal development, sexually transmitted infections, contraception, pregnancy, and abortion. Of the 56 centers identified and investigated in Virginia, 71 percent (40) shared some degree of medically erroneous information.

Investigation Findings of Misleading and Medically Inaccurate Information:

• 40 CPCs shared medically erroneous information that abortion causes long-term psychological damage, including suggesting that women who have abortions can ‚get eating disorders, become alcoholic, or become drug addicts,?3 and that ‚the sound of a vacuum would always bring back flashbacks of the abortion.?4
  • 18 CPCs shared medically inaccurate information that abortion causes breast cancer, including several that issued the following warning on their respective websites: ‚A number of reliable studies have demonstrated a connection between abortion and later development of breast cancer.?567
  • 25 CPCs falsely reported a link between abortion, infertility, and later pregnancy complications. One in-person investigator reported: ‚The counselor said that if I was a certain blood type, an abortion could cause my body to create antibodies that would attack my baby the next time I got pregnant.

by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 4:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
snookyfritz
by Platinum Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 4:21 PM
2 moms liked this

I think we saw this last week.  An "investigation" by this means about as much to me as my local crisis pregnancy clinic doing an investigation of Planned parenthood would mean to you

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 4:42 PM
The numbers seem off to me. 77 phone calls and 10 visit create these numbers? I am just not buying it.

jaxTheMomm
by Platinum Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 5:24 PM

I'll give you that.  However, remember that it's not just NARAL that finds these types of outcomes.  It's numerous organizations and private citizens.  This is not an anomaly.

If I were more active in NARAL I'd have probably received an invitation to take part.  The volunteers are trained, and they must document their experience as soon as they are done with the phone call / visit.  If they wished to somehow slant their information, we'd see a lot higher percentage.  If I had taken part I'd have been dutiful and honest, and quite happy when the results of a particular interview showed the CPC was not dissiminating innacurate information.

Cause that's what they are supposed to do - not lie.  I want them to not lie.

Also remember that some of this information is taken directly from these group's websites and the literature they distribute - you can view the screen shots.

I think it's great when a CPC can assist a young mother or mother to be if she's in need.  That's a fantastic thing.

But they should never lie or be improperly trained.  It's just dangerous.

Quoting snookyfritz:

I think we saw this last week.  An "investigation" by this means about as much to me as my local crisis pregnancy clinic doing an investigation of Planned parenthood would mean to you

jaxTheMomm
by Platinum Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 5:26 PM

77 phone calls and 10 visits to 56 out of the 58 CPCs in VA.

They have documented them all in the footnotes.  Dates and names.

Quoting yourspecialkid:

The numbers seem off to me. 77 phone calls and 10 visit create these numbers? I am just not buying it.

punky3175
by Punky on Jul. 29, 2013 at 5:51 PM
That just makes my head hurt.
jaxTheMomm
by Platinum Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 7:19 PM

What makes my head really hurt is the innacurate information regarding BC - it's scary.

Quote:

Medically Inaccurate Information about Contraception and STIs

NPCVF’s 2010 report determined that a total of nineteen CPCs gave medically inaccurate information about contraception, and a total of fourteen told investigators unfounded statements about sexually transmitted infections (STIs). In addition, twenty-two CPCs told investigators that they did not provide or refer for birth control, citing the following reasons: 

• HIV can pass through a condom.1
  • The AIDS virus is smaller than the holes in condoms.

Quoting punky3175:

That just makes my head hurt.

..MoonShine..
by Redwood Witch on Jul. 29, 2013 at 7:24 PM

CPCs in more places than just VA have that problem. 

jaxTheMomm
by Platinum Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Yes I know, but I'm a Virginian so I'm just trying to keep up with my state.

This issue seems to be a theme throughout the US, but I'm a NARALVA member so that's what I've got in front of me.

Quoting ..MoonShine..:

..MoonShine..
by Redwood Witch on Jul. 29, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Wasn't trying to be a smart ass. I get the local thing. I've heard terrible things about the CPCs in my area and so this was the first thought that popped in my head. 

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

This issue seems to be a theme throughout the US, but I'm a NARALVA member so that's what I've got in front of me.

Quoting ..MoonShine..:

jaxTheMomm
by Platinum Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 7:53 PM
2 moms liked this

Oh, I didn't take it that way, no worries!

I just continually wonder how some people think it's ok to lie.  About really important stuff, like how to not get pregnant or avoid STDs or what to do once you are.

Quoting ..MoonShine..:

Wasn't trying to be a smart ass. I get the local thing. I've heard terrible things about the CPCs in my area and so this was the first thought that popped in my head. 

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

Quoting ..MoonShine..:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)