Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Australia takes tough new stand on non visa holders arriving by boat

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 1:44 AM
  • 3 Replies

Quote:

by RAY CLANCY on JULY 22, 2013

in AUSTRALIA IMMIGRATION

Australia is taking a tough new stand on asylum seekers by announcing that those arriving by boat without a visa will never be allowed to settle in the country. In a joint media release Prime Minister Kevin Rudd, Attorney General Mark Dreyfus and Immigration Minister Tony Burke declared: ‘Asylum seekers who come here by boat without a visa will never be settled in Australia’.

Australia has signed a new agreement with Papua New Guinea, called the Regional Settlement Arrangement, which means that unauthorised arrivals will be sent to Papua New Guinea for assessment and if found to be a refugee will be settled there. ‘Arriving in Australia by boat will no longer mean settlement in Australia. Australians have had enough of seeing people drowning in the waters to our north. Our country has had enough of people smugglers exploiting asylum seekers and seeing them drown on the high seas,’ the joint statement said. 

‘We are sick of watching our servicemen and women risking their lives in rescues in dangerous conditions on the high seas. Regional processing arrangements in Papua New Guinea will be significantly expanded and people will be sent to Manus Island as soon as health checks are complete and appropriate accommodation is identified,’ it added.

Quote from AustraliaForum.com : “I got an invitation to apply for a 190 visa today but I have a query regarding making my visa application.”

The new arrangement means that PNG officials will assess claims on Manus Island where the facilities will be expanded and there will be no cap on the number of people who can be transferred to Papua New Guinea. ‘The Australian Government, in partnership with the PNG Government, will support settlement services for those with refugee status, as safe and appropriate accommodation and services are identified. We are a compassionate nation and we will continue to deliver a strong humanitarian programme,’ the statement continued. ‘There is nothing compassionate about criminal operations which see children and families drowning at sea. Access to our humanitarian programme must be through the international organisations which resettle people around the world, not through criminal operators who have pushed people onto unseaworthy vessels with tragic consequences’.

The aim is to crackdown on people smugglers who charge people huge amounts of money with the promise of a new life in Australia ‘The new arrangements will allow Australia to help more people who are genuinely in need and help prevent people smugglers from abusing our system. The people smugglers themselves are constantly changing the way they operate and we need to be flexible enough to anticipate and match their actions to avoid the terrible consequences of this trade,’ the statement explained. ‘No doubt there will be some people smugglers who now encourage asylum seekers to test our resolve. Be in no doubt. If people are paying thousands and thousands of dollars to a people smuggler they are buying a ticket to a country other than Australia,’ it concluded.

thoughts?

by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 1:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
canadianmom1974
by Gold Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 2:33 AM
I understand the idea behind it, but I just wonder if those people who are so desperate to get there that they use means like 'people smugglers', will really care? Will it really deter them?

Is it that they want to get to Australia or that they want to get away from wherever they are? I mean they'll still be settled, just in PNG rather than Australia. Will Australia just become a way station, a stop where they're given health checks and then sent on to their final destination of PNG?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Jul. 30, 2013 at 3:28 AM

Quoting canadianmom1974:

I understand the idea behind it, but I just wonder if those people who are so desperate to get there that they use means like 'people smugglers', will really care? Will it really deter them?

Is it that they want to get to Australia or that they want to get away from wherever they are? I mean they'll still be settled, just in PNG rather than Australia. Will Australia just become a way station, a stop where they're given health checks and then sent on to their final destination of PNG?

im sort of sitting on the fence with the issue as it stands....to me they could very well be that desperate and fearful that they use the people smugglers.

However, these people pay them thousands of dollars.  Thousands that other asylum seekers dont have and they want the destination to be Australia.  Most come through Indonesia from Afghanistan, Syria, Iraq etc.  So they dont want to go to Indonesia and settle.  

Manus Island is like a detention centre....where they are processed, checked and biometrics are used for data collection.  They used to go there and then come to Australia for settlement.  It is 100% paid for and run by Australia.  

This new agreement will still have Australia paying for Manus Island and the officials that run it, as well as Settlement money for startup in PNG (relocation costs, startup funds etc).  The difference will be PNG officials running Manus Island.

I like the idea and the Australia people seem to like the idea.  It is to deter crossing the seas in shanty boats, if Australia isnt likely to be the destination, people wont pay the people smugglers.  Less will cross and less will die.

If refugee's can make it to Indonesia...they will be more likely to settle there, as PNG is not even fully civilized or westernized (whichever may be applicable) 

BeautifulFey
by Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 3:46 AM

They are illegal immegrants. They will not be settled here, ever again, thank goodness. The people smugglers make a ridiculous profit off these people, and they use boats that shouldn't sit in a bath, let alone the pacific or indian ocean! We want them to stay home, and we want their own government to get their act together.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)