Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

When Life Begins Based on Feelings, Not Science

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 9:05 AM
  • 102 Replies
1 mom liked this

When Life Begins Based on Feelings, Not Science, Says MSNBC's Melissa Harris-Perry 

article image

MSNBC host Melissa Harris-Perry claimed on Sunday that the answer to when biological life begins is not based upon science, but rather "depends an awful lot on the feeling of the parents."

Harris-Perry was trying to compare the birth of the royal baby to unwanted pregnancies of women in America, notes CNSNews.com.

“When a pregnancy is wanted by the mother, father, even the country, it is easy to think of the bump as a baby,” Harris-Perry said.

“But not every pregnancy is a fairy tale. There are other stories. An ultrasound reveals severe birth defects. A child is raped and becomes pregnant. Another baby would jeopardize a mother's ability to feed her living children. A woman decides she does not want a child at all. These are different pregnancies. They are reminders that an unwanted pregnancy can be biologically the same as a wanted one. But the experience can be entirely different."

“Eggs are fertilized. Embryos are implanted. Cells divide and multiply. Fetuses grow.  When does life begin? I submit the answer depends an awful lot on the feeling of the parents. A powerful feeling, but not science,” claimed Harris-Perry.

Source: CNSNews.com

by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 9:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 10:00 AM
9 moms liked this
Quoting IhartU:

When does life begin? I submit the answer depends an awful lot on the feeling of the parents.

I think "When does life begin?" is the wrong question.

What you're actually interested in is "When does this collection of cells have the following moral rights or status?", and that is possibly a more graduated answer, not susceptible to a binary chop off point 'before the life-start-event it has no status, and after the life-start-event is has every right under the sun'.

Citygirlk
by Gold Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 10:09 AM
1 mom liked this

I go by the bible of when life begins. And in it when god breaths air Into Adam he became a living soul. So life begins (at least to me) once you take that first breath and ends when you take your last. 

lizzy_ellie
by Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Life begins at the moment of conception... how is that hard to understand?

Citygirlk
by Gold Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 10:15 AM
1 mom liked this

Then that means that cancer cells are alive too. 

Quoting lizzy_ellie:

Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Jul. 30, 2013 at 10:20 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting lizzy_ellie:

you're opinion...

life begins when one takes their first breath.

which is my personal belief.

So, why is your belief more important that every one HAS to follow it, than mine?

AtiFreeFalls
by Silver Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 10:22 AM
2 moms liked this

The first reply had it right.  Your life, and the life of every embryo, actually begins when that embryo's mother was herself a fetus.  That is when she developed every egg she will ever have.  Those cells are living organisms, all on their own.  Sperm are created in a more "on demand" fashion, but are also alive long before conception. 

We all know that an embryo is alive.  The question is whether that embryo has human rights and, if so, if those rights supercede the mother's.

Quoting lizzy_ellie:

2Gs
by Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 10:23 AM

No kidding!  

Why do people pretend that abortion is just ending something that wasn't real?  EVERYONE knows that if you wouldn't have aborted it, that it would have been a person.  Why argue over words?  The reality is the same for everyone.

Anyone pretending otherwise is delusional.

Quoting lizzy_ellie:

Luvnlogic
by Silver Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 10:23 AM
For legal purposes, it seems viability is the most accurate measure of when to bestow citizenship rights. For religious and/or moral purposes, that's left to each individual. Just as, IMO, gay marriage is a civil right that should be legal for ALL citizens. It's morality and sin determined by individual beliefs. As other posters have pointed out, all life is not equal under the man's law
2Gs
by Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 10:24 AM

I agree.  I totally support a woman's right to choose.  But abortion is killing something.  And if you're going to go that route you better have sound reasons you can live with.  

Quoting AtiFreeFalls:

The first reply had it right.  Your life, and the life of every embryo, actually begins when that embryo's mother was herself a fetus.  That is when she developed every egg she will ever have.  Those cells are living organisms, all on their own.  Sperm are created in a more "on demand" fashion, but are also alive long before conception. 

We all know that an embryo is alive.  The question is whether that embryo has human rights and, if so, if those rights supercede the mother's.

Quoting lizzy_ellie:

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jul. 30, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Yep-

Quoting Citygirlk:

Then that means that cancer cells are alive too. 

Quoting lizzy_ellie:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN