Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tennessee Cemetery Keeps Racism Alive Even After Death, Desecrates ‘N***er’ Graves To Bury White Clients

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:16 AM
  • 31 Replies
1 mom liked this
Make no mistake, racism is still very much alive in America today and conservatives want African-Americans to be the victims of racism from cradle to grave… literally. Image by Amy Smotherman Burgess  @ Knox News

Make no mistake, racism is still very much alive in America today and conservatives want African-Americans to be the victims of racism from cradle to grave… literally. Image by Amy Smotherman Burgess @ Knox News

Republicans may have declared racism dead but it is still alive and well, even after death. Two former gravediggers are suing Baker’s Forge Memorial Cemetery in LaFollette, Tennessee for instructing them to desecrate “n*gger” graves in order to bury white clients.

When they refused to follow orders, Edward and Kenneth Taylor were fired by their employer in July 2012 according to Courthouse News Service. The lawsuit also names “Coolidge Baptist Church, Cedar Hill Baptist Church, Demory Baptist Church, and eight trustees and operators of the cemetery.”

According to the two Taylors, cemetery trustee Bob Housley allegedly ordered them to dig up the graves of African-Americans so that white clients could be buried in them instead. Courthouse News Service reports,

The permanent records of the cemetery contain two pages designated as the ‘colored section (Negro).’ [Defendant] Bob Housley would refer to the corpses buried in the ‘colored section (Negro)’ as ‘niggers.’ Bob Housley joked that all plaintiffs would find when he disinterred those graves was ‘black dirt.’ The Taylors claim that Housley’s plan to dig up the bodies in the “Negro” section of the cemetery was part of “an unlawful scheme and plan to resell to white persons the gravesites designated in the permanent records of the cemetery as the ‘colored section (Negro).’

This isn’t the first time the Baker’s Forge Cemetery has been in trouble with authorities. In 2012, the Knoxville News reported that the cemetery allegedly buried some clients on top of previously buried ones and allegedly forced at least one family to repurchase plots that had been purchased by family members decades before.

If the allegations are true, it would appear that racism is still alive and well, despite Republican claims to the contrary. In fact, what Baker’s Forge Cemetery is allegedly doing sounds awfully like something out of the South during the Jim Crow era, when it was illegal to bury African-Americans in the same ground occupied by whites. As a result, ‘colored’ cemeteries, or separate sections of a cemetery, were reserved for black people. Now it seems that even those graves are under assault by racism.

This news comes at the same time that Tennessee conservative Christians are declaring that majority rule gives them the power to discriminate against and violate the rights of others.

The allegations in Tennessee are just another example of the deep racism that still plagues southern states to this day, nearly 50 years after the civil rights era and nearly 150 years after the Civil War. Many southern states are now implementing extreme voter suppression laws after the conservative-leaning Supreme Court stuck a dagger into the heart of the Voting Rights Act of 1965. Such laws have been designed to keep minorities from voting, as well as college students and women. Republicans like Rand Paul have even called for the repeal of the Civil Rights Act.

Then there are the ‘Stand Your Ground’ laws which have clearly been misused to allow racists to get away with killing blacks while simultaneously being rejected as a defense for African-Americans who make justified self-defense claims.

And that’s just the policies in conservative states. Let’s not forget the constant racist rhetoric that Republicans have been proudly spewing these last few years since President Obama first took office in 2008. The most recent episode of racist ranting came from the prejudiced lips of Texas Tea Party Congressman Louie Gohmert, who compared the civil rights of African-Americans to animal rights during a House Judiciary Committee hearing earlier this week. In addition, conservatives have been openly singing the praises of the Confederacy and white supremacy. Not only have Republicans been declaring Confederate history months in their states like Virginia Governor Bob McDonnell did in his, House Republicans held their convention to discuss minority outreach at a former slave plantation.

Racism is unacceptable and totally outrageous in today’s civilized world. It’s certainly not a desired quality in a politician who is supposed to legislate in the interest of all Americans no matter their race. But Republicans are racism deniers as much as they are climate change deniers. They want Americans to believe them when they say racism is dead so they can continue being racists and passing racist policies under our noses, all while claiming that such attitudes and policies are patriotic and strengthen America. Their beliefs are wrong, their ideas are wrong, and their attempt to fool Americans is also wrong, and conservatives should be punished for it. Make no mistake, racism is still very much alive in America today and conservatives want African-Americans to be the victims of racism from cradle to grave.

Read more: http://www.addictinginfo.org/2013/07/27/tennessee-cemetery-keeps-racism-alive-even-after-death-desecrates-ngger-graves-to-bury-white-clients/#ixzz2abL4HHAI

by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MomTiara19
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:03 AM
2 moms liked this

I cant even begin to wrap my mind around the amount of energy it must take to live,eat,and breath such hate for a race different than yours.

There is a place for those shameful people that desecrated these graves.Racist people are the victim because I could care less about them...they are the ones focused on blacks.

They have no life...just racism...very pathetic.

mommy_2_be_2010
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:15 AM
I'm mixed and will not tolerate the bs with my blue eyed black child because she is more than that she's a human being
fivegirls333
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:18 AM

do you have anything positive or helpful to say?  i would go crazy living in your mean spirited, race hate mind!  you DO realize that by posting these things you are doing EXACTLY what these bigots want you to do?

Della529
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:50 AM

Doing what these bigots want her to do? "  Who are the bigots and what do they want people to do?

Do you think it isn't possible that a cemetery would do something like this?

Quoting fivegirls333:

do you have anything positive or helpful to say?  i would go crazy living in your mean spirited, race hate mind!  you DO realize that by posting these things you are doing EXACTLY what these bigots want you to do?

Carpy
by Emerald Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:52 AM
1 mom liked this

Considering the source, I will disregard the article.

Carpy
by Emerald Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:07 AM

Despite recent controversy, Eddie Taylor remains optimistic about regaining his position as caretaker at Baker’s Forge Memorial Cemetery.

<div class="source">Chris Cannon</div><div class="image-desc"></div><div class="buy-pic"><a href="http://web2.lcni5.com/cgi-bin/c2newbuyphoto.cgi?pub=261&amp;orig=IMG_2959.jpg" target="_new">Buy this photo</a></div>
Chris Cannon

“We’re still hoping to get our jobs back,” Taylor said. His brother, Kenny Taylor, was also a part-time caretaker at the cemetery.

Last fall, Taylor was terminated for cause, attorney Kathy Parrott said. Parrott represents the BFMC Board of Trustees.

“It’s a right to work state, and they will not be rehired,” Parrott said.

The board of trustees has already hired a full-time caretaker to fill the vacant position, Parrott said.

Taylor was terminated after he and his brother wrote a letter to the board of trustees requesting Bob Housley, chairman of the board of trustees, be removed from his position, Parrott said.

Housley was elected chairman of the board of trustees in 1976.

“Bob Housley has served as the supervisor over the caretaker since 1976, and has never been paid,” Parrott said. “All the board serves as volunteers.”

Taylor has repeatedly expressed complaints about Housley’s conduct as supervisor. He alleged Housley told him to bury people in occupied graves. Housley told Taylor to dig shallow so nobody would find out, Taylor has contended.

“I was backed against a wall,” Taylor said. “Every time I’d tell Bob, ‘I’m not selling that because there’s bodies in there,’ he’d get mad.”

The board didn’t comply with Taylor’s request to remove Housley.

“They weren’t successful in getting their boss fired,” Parrott said.

“They didn’t believe me and they said Bob was too valuable to lose, and they said I had to quit,” Taylor said. “I wouldn’t quit.”

The board of trustees was prejudice against Taylor in making its decision, Taylor said.

“Grover (Housley) and Bob (Housley) got to them first, and probably slandered me,” Taylor said. “They might not like the way I look. They had their mind made up that I was a trouble maker.”

The board of trustees gave Taylor the option of returning to work, but he didn’t, Parrott said. Taylor said when he did return to the caretaker’s shed, he found it padlocked.

Taylor’s termination wasn’t for personal reasons, Parrott said.

“The employment problems were related to cause,” Parrott said. “It wasn’t a personal problem with the supervisor. It was issues with work, and the quality of work.”

Taylor believes he hasn’t been terminated.

“They wouldn’t fire me,” Taylor said. “They said I had to quit.”

Taylor admitted to collecting unemployment benefits, which are only available to employees who have been terminated or laid off.

Since his termination, Taylor has brought people, including multiple news agencies, to the cemetery, and voiced allegations of intentional double burials. Taylor has also taken part in public meetings where these theories were discussed. However, he has since stopped attending the meetings.

“I’m keeping quiet,” Taylor said on Tuesday.

In addition to going back to work at Baker’s Forge, Taylor hopes people will believe his claims.

“The board’s coming forth, and anything that’s valid and supported in writing, we’ll look at,” Parrott said.

However, the allegations made by Taylor and others who have affiliated themselves with him aren’t true, Parrott said.

“They say outrageous lies,” Parrott said. “I have looked at all of these allegations, and there’s no support for them. There’s no written evidence of any of this.”

Baker’s Forge is a reinterment cemetery. In 1934, 22 acres were purchased for $1,500 and dedicated for burials, Parrott said. The Tennessee Valley Authority moved bodies from other cemeteries to BFMC so the areas could become Norris Lake.

“All TVA deeds were recorded in 1938,” Parrott said.

The TVA burial sites are located on the top of the hill, Parrott said.

When bodies were reinterred, they were grouped in 10-grave sections, so the families of those reinterred could later be buried with them, Parrott said.

“These plots are still used by descendents of the (families),” Parrott said.

Historically, BFMC has been treated as a family cemetery, Parrott said. Families were responsible for taking care of their family plots on top of the hill until 1976, when the Perpetual Care Fund was established.  The Perpetual Care Fund was established for the upkeep of the cemetery. It wasn’t until the past decade there was a full-time caretaker at the cemetery, Parrott said. Unless the families deeded plots back to the cemetery, the board of trustees can’t sell them. Therefore it wouldn’t be involved with selling the plots, Parrott said. There are federal archives that record all bodies moved by TVA, Parrott said.

There is one double burial the board of trustees is aware of, Parrott said. However the board of trustees isn’t responsible for it.

“My clients had no control of that,” Parrott said.

The burial involved TVA plots.

“It was not anything that was sold by the board of trustees,” Parrott said.

The board of trustees hasn’t knowingly sold any used plots, Parrott said.

While the board of trustees previously only oversaw the selling of plots, it will now oversee burials in the whole cemetery, Parrott said. This is because of the recent stream of accusations, Parrott said.

Taylor is making allegations because of his termination, Parrott said.

“That’s where all the controversy originated, that’s how it started, and that’s how it continues,” Parrott said. “It’s because somebody doesn’t work there anymore. That’s what it all stems from.”

“It’s sad that there’s this kind of situation,” Parrott said. “When I go to meet with my clients every month and their monthers and fathers and husbands are buried there.”

The board of trustees doesn’t desire to take legal action at this time, Parrott said.

“Right now, they hope that is not necessary,” Parrott said. “Taking it on a month by month basis.”

There is currently a restraining order against Taylor, he said.

“I was told if I moved three feet away from my dad’s grave, if I’m anywhere else in the graveyard, I will be arrested,” he said. “I can’t go anywhere else, without a proper authority, to point this stuff out.”

Taylor doesn’t have a lawyer, he said.

http://www.lafollettepress.com/content/cemetery-sees-controversy

prommy
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:13 AM

Can someone please explain how this is the fault of Republicans??? I didn't get the all of us Republicans are racists memo...

prommy
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:16 AM

Quoting Carpy:

Despite recent controversy, Eddie Taylor remains optimistic about regaining his position as caretaker at Baker’s Forge Memorial Cemetery.

" rel="lightshow[newsSlides]"><div class=Chris Cannon
" title="Click for slideshow" height="345" width="230" />
Chris Cannon

“We’re still hoping to get our jobs back,” Taylor said. His brother, Kenny Taylor, was also a part-time caretaker at the cemetery.

Last fall, Taylor was terminated for cause, attorney Kathy Parrott said. Parrott represents the BFMC Board of Trustees.

“It’s a right to work state, and they will not be rehired,” Parrott said.

The board of trustees has already hired a full-time caretaker to fill the vacant position, Parrott said.

Taylor was terminated after he and his brother wrote a letter to the board of trustees requesting Bob Housley, chairman of the board of trustees, be removed from his position, Parrott said.

Housley was elected chairman of the board of trustees in 1976.

“Bob Housley has served as the supervisor over the caretaker since 1976, and has never been paid,” Parrott said. “All the board serves as volunteers.”

Taylor has repeatedly expressed complaints about Housley’s conduct as supervisor. He alleged Housley told him to bury people in occupied graves. Housley told Taylor to dig shallow so nobody would find out, Taylor has contended.

“I was backed against a wall,” Taylor said. “Every time I’d tell Bob, ‘I’m not selling that because there’s bodies in there,’ he’d get mad.”

The board didn’t comply with Taylor’s request to remove Housley.

“They weren’t successful in getting their boss fired,” Parrott said.

“They didn’t believe me and they said Bob was too valuable to lose, and they said I had to quit,” Taylor said. “I wouldn’t quit.”

The board of trustees was prejudice against Taylor in making its decision, Taylor said.

“Grover (Housley) and Bob (Housley) got to them first, and probably slandered me,” Taylor said. “They might not like the way I look. They had their mind made up that I was a trouble maker.”

The board of trustees gave Taylor the option of returning to work, but he didn’t, Parrott said. Taylor said when he did return to the caretaker’s shed, he found it padlocked.

Taylor’s termination wasn’t for personal reasons, Parrott said.

“The employment problems were related to cause,” Parrott said. “It wasn’t a personal problem with the supervisor. It was issues with work, and the quality of work.”

Taylor believes he hasn’t been terminated.

“They wouldn’t fire me,” Taylor said. “They said I had to quit.”

Taylor admitted to collecting unemployment benefits, which are only available to employees who have been terminated or laid off.

Since his termination, Taylor has brought people, including multiple news agencies, to the cemetery, and voiced allegations of intentional double burials. Taylor has also taken part in public meetings where these theories were discussed. However, he has since stopped attending the meetings.

“I’m keeping quiet,” Taylor said on Tuesday.

In addition to going back to work at Baker’s Forge, Taylor hopes people will believe his claims.

“The board’s coming forth, and anything that’s valid and supported in writing, we’ll look at,” Parrott said.

However, the allegations made by Taylor and others who have affiliated themselves with him aren’t true, Parrott said.

“They say outrageous lies,” Parrott said. “I have looked at all of these allegations, and there’s no support for them. There’s no written evidence of any of this.”

Baker’s Forge is a reinterment cemetery. In 1934, 22 acres were purchased for $1,500 and dedicated for burials, Parrott said. The Tennessee Valley Authority moved bodies from other cemeteries to BFMC so the areas could become Norris Lake.

“All TVA deeds were recorded in 1938,” Parrott said.

The TVA burial sites are located on the top of the hill, Parrott said.

When bodies were reinterred, they were grouped in 10-grave sections, so the families of those reinterred could later be buried with them, Parrott said.

“These plots are still used by descendents of the (families),” Parrott said.

Historically, BFMC has been treated as a family cemetery, Parrott said. Families were responsible for taking care of their family plots on top of the hill until 1976, when the Perpetual Care Fund was established.  The Perpetual Care Fund was established for the upkeep of the cemetery. It wasn’t until the past decade there was a full-time caretaker at the cemetery, Parrott said. Unless the families deeded plots back to the cemetery, the board of trustees can’t sell them. Therefore it wouldn’t be involved with selling the plots, Parrott said. There are federal archives that record all bodies moved by TVA, Parrott said.

There is one double burial the board of trustees is aware of, Parrott said. However the board of trustees isn’t responsible for it.

“My clients had no control of that,” Parrott said.

The burial involved TVA plots.

“It was not anything that was sold by the board of trustees,” Parrott said.

The board of trustees hasn’t knowingly sold any used plots, Parrott said.

While the board of trustees previously only oversaw the selling of plots, it will now oversee burials in the whole cemetery, Parrott said. This is because of the recent stream of accusations, Parrott said.

Taylor is making allegations because of his termination, Parrott said.

“That’s where all the controversy originated, that’s how it started, and that’s how it continues,” Parrott said. “It’s because somebody doesn’t work there anymore. That’s what it all stems from.”

“It’s sad that there’s this kind of situation,” Parrott said. “When I go to meet with my clients every month and their monthers and fathers and husbands are buried there.”

The board of trustees doesn’t desire to take legal action at this time, Parrott said.

“Right now, they hope that is not necessary,” Parrott said. “Taking it on a month by month basis.”

There is currently a restraining order against Taylor, he said.

“I was told if I moved three feet away from my dad’s grave, if I’m anywhere else in the graveyard, I will be arrested,” he said. “I can’t go anywhere else, without a proper authority, to point this stuff out.”

Taylor doesn’t have a lawyer, he said.

http://www.lafollettepress.com/content/cemetery-sees-controversy

Sounds like someone might be telling lies...

bellawomen
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:16 AM
2 moms liked this
Sounds like everyone involved is a bunch of shady idiots and now they are all pointing fingers at each other to make themselves seems less ignorant. They all look like fools.
bellawomen
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:18 AM
1 mom liked this
While I understand many conservatives have said racism no longer exists or is blown out of proportion, it didn't need to be stated for the purpose of the article. It was just to rile the crowds.

Quoting prommy:

Can someone please explain how this is the fault of Republicans??? I didn't get the all of us Republicans are racists memo...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)