Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Hoarding is immoral

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:11 AM
  • 100 Replies
1 mom liked this

Thoughts?

I find hoarding especially those few in our society that hoard wealth to be immoral.

Its a problem that is getting to be very widespread.  Whether it be containers or cash do you think hoarding is healthy?

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:17 AM
1 mom liked this

I think hoarding in general is part of a mental disorder.

elkmomma
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:24 AM
1 mom liked this

Not sure what answer you're looking for.  Hoarding the all mighty $$ is greed and that would fall under immoral by biblical standards.  However ccontainers (assuming boxes of stuff) probably would fall under mental health for many.

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:24 AM
4 moms liked this

Oh my.  I don't call it hoarding, I call it saving for a rainy day.  My life may not always move so smoothly and I don't want to have to depend upon whatever the govt is doling out at the time.

Besides...it is MY responsiblity to provide for myself and my family.

AND..it is MY money, money I worked for, took risks for, focused on needs and not wants for...........what I choose to do with it really isn't anyone else's business.  If that makes me immoral okey dokey.  At least I am immoral with a plan.

coronado25
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:25 AM
I think hoarding items is bad but not necessarily immoral. And hoarding money? That means saving money, yes? Which is smart.
2Gs
by Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:25 AM
1 mom liked this

I think it could be.  This kind of goes along with "Thou shalt have no other gods before me."  Stuff can become your god.  

I think it is liberating to get rid of stuff.  

Wicked.Jester
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:26 AM
2 moms liked this

Having a savings account and planning for a comfortable retirement I earned is immoral?

Mmmkay.

Raintree
by Ruby Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:29 AM
2 moms liked this

I think it definitely can be, but it can also be just a mental issue.

My brother-in-law is a hoarder. Not a scary/house-full-of-trash hoarder, but he doesn't know how to throw anything away. He's usually fairly organized, but there is so much of it that he has two storage units full of his stuff. Also, he lives alone, but buys all his food from Sam's Club. Ridiculous.

Raintree
by Ruby Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Quoting 2Gs:

I think it could be.  This kind of goes along with "Thou shalt have no other gods before me."  Stuff can become your god.  

I think it is liberating to get rid of stuff.  

Absolutely. I caught myself collecting things when I was coming out of college and it was sort of a dark period of my life. I remember having this epiphany that I was entering some kind of crazy-place, and I needed to just start getting rid of a lot of stuff. At this same point, a "friend" of my sister dumped all of her college crap in my garage when she moved out of town. Just left me to clean all of it up. It was totally awesome.

It was also a good way to get mad at the situation and get rid of things. I did it.

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:48 AM
3 moms liked this
You are discussing something complete different.

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Oh my.  I don't call it hoarding, I call it saving for a rainy day.  My life may not always move so smoothly and I don't want to have to depend upon whatever the govt is doling out at the time.

Besides...it is MY responsiblity to provide for myself and my family.

AND..it is MY money, money I worked for, took risks for, focused on needs and not wants for...........what I choose to do with it really isn't anyone else's business.  If that makes me immoral okey dokey.  At least I am immoral with a plan.

SuperChicken
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Hoarding is a mental illness, imo.    The immorality would be in not seeking help for that mental illness once you know you have it.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN