Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Thoughts?

I find hoarding especially those few in our society that hoard wealth to be immoral.

Its a problem that is getting to be very widespread.  Whether it be containers or cash do you think hoarding is healthy?

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:11 AM
Replies (31-40):
survivorinohio
by René on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:24 AM

I dont think that they are obligated to give anything away.  I do think that there may be a moral obligation to reinvest.  For instance lets say someone make a lot of money selling shoes and all the equipment where out and the workplace becomes dangerous.  There then becomes an obligation to make improvements and it becomes immoral to cause .

If you made all your money off chemicals and find it cheaper to pay epa fines and settle with the poisoned than to properly contain your waste thats immoral.

Saving money at all costs is immoral.

Quoting katy_kay08:

Does it matter where it's kept?   Are people obligated to give away what is more than they may need?

Quoting NWP:

There are folks who hoard cash. This is not the same as saving for a rainy day.

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting NWP:

You are discussing something complete different.

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Oh my.  I don't call it hoarding, I call it saving for a rainy day.  My life may not always move so smoothly and I don't want to have to depend upon whatever the govt is doling out at the time.

Besides...it is MY responsiblity to provide for myself and my family.

AND..it is MY money, money I worked for, took risks for, focused on needs and not wants for...........what I choose to do with it really isn't anyone else's business.  If that makes me immoral okey dokey.  At least I am immoral with a plan.

The OP said "cash" in her post.  That is what I replied to.

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:25 AM
2 moms liked this

I think some people can not fathom the wealth of mega millionaires or billionaires- and how they can manipulate and affect governments, markets and the economy.

We're not talking about those with a paltry 5 million-

Quoting survivorinohio:

Well, when we have the super-rich who are continuiing to build and hoard their own super wealth on the backs of all the rest of us while failing to reinvest in America thats a problem for everyone.

Quoting furbabymum:

There are people who hoard animals and people who hoard bags of their own feces. I don't see why they should be used as an example to everyone else not to get animals or poop.

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting furbabymum:

If we want to shove the money we EARN into money market accounts and the stock market then I don't see what you can possibly have to bitch about. It was ours, never yours.

What of the fabled old man who lived in absolute poverty, no heat, eating at food kitchens and was found to have millions in his mattress?  Thats an illness not healthy savings.

katy_kay08
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:27 AM

I don't necessarily see this as hoarding.  Unscrupulous business practices does not equate to hoarding/hoarder.  

Quoting survivorinohio:

I dont think that they are obligated to give anything away.  I do think that there may be a moral obligation to reinvest.  For instance lets say someone make a lot of money selling shoes and all the equipment where out and the workplace becomes dangerous.  There then becomes an obligation to make improvements and it becomes immoral to cause .

If you made all your money off chemicals and find it cheaper to pay epa fines and settle with the poisoned than to properly contain your waste thats immoral.

Quoting katy_kay08:

Does it matter where it's kept?   Are people obligated to give away what is more than they may need?

Quoting NWP:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting NWP:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Oh my.  I don't call it hoarding, I call it saving for a rainy day.  My life may not always move so smoothly and I don't want to have to depend upon whatever the govt is doling out at the time.

AND..it is MY money, money I worked for, took risks for, focused on needs and not wants for...........what I choose to do with it really isn't anyone else's business.  If that makes me immoral okey dokey.  At least I am immoral with a plan.

katy_kay08
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:29 AM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't necessarily make that assumption.  Some of us are quite able to fathom their wealth.  Some of us have even seen how it is accumulated through investment in both people and areas.  Often people will blame the person while enjoying the benefits reaped from their work.  I watched this happen for years in Northern Idaho.  People love to hate on the man that revitalized the area, but it's hard to ignore what his dream and his money did to create wealth and opportunity for others.  

Quoting Sisteract:

I think some people can not fathom the wealth of mega millionaires or billionaires- and how they can manipulate and affect governments, markets and the economy.

We're not talking about those with a paltry 5 million-

Quoting survivorinohio:

Well, when we have the super-rich who are continuiing to build and hoard their own super wealth on the backs of all the rest of us while failing to reinvest in America thats a problem for everyone.

Quoting furbabymum:

There are people who hoard animals and people who hoard bags of their own feces. I don't see why they should be used as an example to everyone else not to get animals or poop.

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting furbabymum:

If we want to shove the money we EARN into money market accounts and the stock market then I don't see what you can possibly have to bitch about. It was ours, never yours.

What of the fabled old man who lived in absolute poverty, no heat, eating at food kitchens and was found to have millions in his mattress?  Thats an illness not healthy savings.

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:33 AM
Hoarding is a mental disorder. What you discuss is not te same thing.

Quoting katy_kay08:

Quoting NWP:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting NWP:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

survivorinohio
by René on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:36 AM

If the business man is hoarding cash for a compulsive need to have it its hoarding. Greed can be the trigger for such behavior.

We have had a few landlords that fit this very well. There was a landlord here who was a hoarder and a slumlord who built an empire on taking advantage of the poor.  She was ill, and evil.

Quoting katy_kay08:

I don't necessarily see this as hoarding.  Unscrupulous business practices does not equate to hoarding/hoarder.  

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting katy_kay08:

Quoting NWP:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting NWP:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

BrookieCookie1
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:37 AM
1 mom liked this

Good Topic!

I think there's 2 types of hoarders-those that hoard wealth, and those that hoard junk. I feel that the former can be attributed to greed and the latter can be attributed to a combination of neurochemical predisposition combined with life events-thus becoming an illness.

However, I had a friend that was a hoarder. SHe had gotten a new place as I was moving out of state. WHen I returned home and visited her, I was apalled-she was living in squalid conditions, hoarding everything she could get her hands on, hoarding animals, etc. It was very troubling, plus she was not into cleaning up. Anyway, I figured she was the latter of aforementioned types of hoarders.

However, I soon found out (she was getting all the PA benefits-FS, CS from the ex, medical, cash, free housing) the only work she was willing to do was under the table, she would sell her foodstamps to buy weed and other drugs, wouldn't get the full amount of CS she was entitled to so she could keep getting these things, and in an untimate display of greed, she would go to the foodbank. Even though she had plenty of food, she never missed a week. They would hand out that ROC face cream (which is about 20+ bucks a tube) even though she didn't need it, hardly left the house and was not working at anything, she would gom get a ton of food she didn't need, and take bottle after bottle of face cream. I thought this was greedy as hell. So, Now I'm torn, but am beginning to think it may just be greed all the way around but don't know enough people like that to be certain.

furbabymum
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:24 PM

Those who refuse to do for themselves and isntead rely on society to provide for them are also a problem. I'm not being purposefully dense either. I know what you are trying to say.

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting furbabymum:

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting furbabymum:

survivorinohio
by René on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:28 PM

In the sect of people you are speaking of you have those who are incapable physically or mentally.  Then there are those who are desperately trying, then there are those who have no hope.  Hope matters.  I suppose somewhere you can find those who proudly use their food card and are content but I think they are the minority.

Quoting furbabymum:

Those who refuse to do for themselves and isntead rely on society to provide for them are also a problem. I'm not being purposefully dense either. I know what you are trying to say.

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting furbabymum:

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting furbabymum:

redheadstar
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:29 PM

You don't have to be rich to hoard items in your house, maybe a financial disaster but not rich.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)