Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Thoughts?

I find hoarding especially those few in our society that hoard wealth to be immoral.

Its a problem that is getting to be very widespread.  Whether it be containers or cash do you think hoarding is healthy?

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:11 AM
Replies (41-50):
lifeforchrist
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:31 PM

my mil hoarded garbage, not sure how that's immoral

survivorinohio
by René on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:33 PM

Quoting lifeforchrist:

In some minds cleanliness is moral behavior and garbage is unclean.

I think that ilness FTR.  It comes from a need to have though.  Many a hoarders behaviors are born of loss.

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

survivorinohio
by René on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting redheadstar:

You don't have to be rich to hoard items in your house, maybe a financial disaster but not rich.

Yes I agree the very poor can hoard.

furbabymum
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:35 PM

I think they are out there more than you believe. I tend to see the worst of society at my job and I can tell you there are a lot of scummy people out there on PA. CM also helps cement this view as there are a lot of crazy biotches on this forum proud to be on PA.

The point is, they're both bad for society. One has money and one doesn't but they are all taking and not giving back.

Quoting survivorinohio:

In the sect of people you are speaking of you have those who are incapable physically or mentally.  Then there are those who are desperately trying, then there are those who have no hope.  Hope matters.  I suppose somewhere you can find those who proudly use their food card and are content but I think they are the minority.

Quoting furbabymum:

Those who refuse to do for themselves and isntead rely on society to provide for them are also a problem. I'm not being purposefully dense either. I know what you are trying to say.

Quoting survivorinohio:

Well, when we have the super-rich who are continuiing to build and hoard their own super wealth on the backs of all the rest of us while failing to reinvest in America thats a problem for everyone.

Quoting furbabymum:

There are people who hoard animals and people who hoard bags of their own feces. I don't see why they should be used as an example to everyone else not to get animals or poop.

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting furbabymum:

If we want to shove the money we EARN into money market accounts and the stock market then I don't see what you can possibly have to bitch about. It was ours, never yours.

What of the fabled old man who lived in absolute poverty, no heat, eating at food kitchens and was found to have millions in his mattress?  Thats an illness not healthy savings.

lifeforchrist
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:41 PM
1 mom liked this

to an extent I can agree. But there comes a point where being clean is a necessity to not die from the black plague. In my mils case her family had all sorts of weird things they enforced, mostly this 'dont be wasteful' thing. But the biggest factor was her mom died when she wad young and they threw all her stuff away and she never coped with that. So now everything stays. Its insane to see someone go to tears over an old mac n cheese box.

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting lifeforchrist:

In some minds cleanliness is moral behavior and garbage is unclean.

I think that ilness FTR.  It comes from a need to have though.  Many a hoarders behaviors are born of loss.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:51 PM

Both groups are entitled and a detriment to the health of our economy.

Quoting furbabymum:

I think they are out there more than you believe. I tend to see the worst of society at my job and I can tell you there are a lot of scummy people out there on PA. CM also helps cement this view as there are a lot of crazy biotches on this forum proud to be on PA.

The point is, they're both bad for society. One has money and one doesn't but they are all taking and not giving back.

Quoting survivorinohio:

In the sect of people you are speaking of you have those who are incapable physically or mentally.  Then there are those who are desperately trying, then there are those who have no hope.  Hope matters.  I suppose somewhere you can find those who proudly use their food card and are content but I think they are the minority.

Quoting furbabymum:

Those who refuse to do for themselves and isntead rely on society to provide for them are also a problem. I'm not being purposefully dense either. I know what you are trying to say.

Quoting survivorinohio:

Well, when we have the super-rich who are continuiing to build and hoard their own super wealth on the backs of all the rest of us while failing to reinvest in America thats a problem for everyone.

Quoting furbabymum:

There are people who hoard animals and people who hoard bags of their own feces. I don't see why they should be used as an example to everyone else not to get animals or poop.

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting furbabymum:

If we want to shove the money we EARN into money market accounts and the stock market then I don't see what you can possibly have to bitch about. It was ours, never yours.

What of the fabled old man who lived in absolute poverty, no heat, eating at food kitchens and was found to have millions in his mattress?  Thats an illness not healthy savings.

survivorinohio
by René on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Agreed

Quoting Sisteract:

Both groups are entitled and a detriment to the health of our economy.

Quoting furbabymum:

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting furbabymum:

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting furbabymum:

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting furbabymum:

SyllabaryBisque
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Nope, I think that material hoarding is a mental disorder, and cash hoarding is simply saving your money.

survivorinohio
by René on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:56 PM

I can agree that both are bad.

I dont know that so many qualify but if that is the case it is bad.

Quoting furbabymum:

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting furbabymum:

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting furbabymum:

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting furbabymum:

Sister_Someone
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:57 PM

I think that what I choose to do with wealth I've earned and/or the things I bought with said wealth is no one's business but my own.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)