Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Let's talk Mental Health

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:28 AM
  • 22 Replies

A nice change from race and religion I guess. What are your views on mental illnesses. Do you think certain disorders are over diagnosed or really don't exist? My brother is a paranoid schizophrenic and I've been reading up on it and there are articles that say Schizophrenia doesn't really exist or it's hard to diagnose. Just wanted to get some other opinions.

by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Where I used to live, my young neighbor was a paranoid schozophrenic. Yes, it's real. But his Mom had shared alot with me about him, so I saw how it developed.

I assume mental illness' exist. Why wouldn't they?

caito
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:49 PM

Of course mental illnesses exist. I have no patience or tolerance for people who claim that people with mental illnesses are making it up. It's disgusting that they think it. There's nothing quite like being told I'm being dramatic when I say I have depression and anxiety.

Ms.KitKat
by Ruby Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:52 PM

I have worked with schizophrenics. The paranoid ones are the most difficult. But mix into that group drug addiction?! I think what is so difficult is the medication. There are so many side-effects that makes it so that the person does not want to contiune on their meds. And when they are in a full blown episode, they are not of their sound mind to even realize that their meds can heklp them. It just ends up being a vicisious cycle.

It DOES exist and it's not all that diffcult to diagnose at all.

I feel for you and your family. There are support groups available for the family members of the mentally ill.

Those who are most diffciult to diagnose (and treat) are those with the personality disorders.

mommy2Kailey
by Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:56 PM

I believe it's real.  I have 2 friends diagnosed with schizophrenia.  Off meds, holy crap. Anyway, I'm glad there are treatments.

mommy2Kailey
by Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:57 PM

NAMI is a good support group.

ChancesMommy07
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:59 PM
My mil was bipolar schizophrenic. Its what actually cost her her life in the end. She refused to seek treatment for a lump in her breast and by the time she did it was too late. She was convinced the drs were out to poison her. She heard voices, saw things, had violent rages, spoke in her own language, was a hoarder, and the list goes on. I think mental illness is very real and the ability to get help for people suffering from it in this country is sorely lacking.
Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jul. 31, 2013 at 4:02 PM

Worst affliction, ever- People, and the world are not kind to those with broken processing systems- and you can not "force" treatment on adults... Adults who can not process properly and people who think that everyone ELSE has a problem and not them. Let's not even talk about insurance and how "mental" illnesses are generally covered. What a mess.

Friday
by HRH of MJ on Jul. 31, 2013 at 4:06 PM
1 mom liked this

I do believe mental disorders exist but I also think some are over-diagnosed. Some people are truly, clinically depressed but I think many ar just going thru normal life issues. Unfortunately in our quick fix society with docs pushing pharmaceuticals many people are given meds that might not need them. Same with ADD/ADHD and even bi-polar. I have a friend whose son had problems adjusting to their divorce and was very difficult for his new step-mom. Step-mom claimed he was bi-polar and wanted him medicated when some diet and exercise adjustments, along with counseling worked just fine.

Thank God......it's Friday!!!

snookyfritz
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 4:06 PM

I certainly believe mental illness exists. And I understand that certain disorders are very hard to treat and the patients difficult to keep in treatment

romalove
by Roma on Jul. 31, 2013 at 4:07 PM

Mental illness is a nightmare.  It exists.  It is difficult to treat.  It damages the person affected plus all those around them who care about them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)