Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Sort of a S/O. When did saving for a rainy day become greedy and/or immoral?

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:37 AM
  • 145 Replies
3 moms liked this

I was raised to be responsible for myself, to save my money for a rainy day. As I get older it looks as if my rainy day will be my senior years.

It seems this is now a bad thing. When did this happen? If I give it all away what am I expected to do when I can no longer support myself?

by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
canadianmom1974
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:41 AM
5 moms liked this
I think there's a massive difference between saving for a rainy day/retirement and the type of money hoarding some extremely wealthy do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
furbabymum
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:43 AM
1 mom liked this

We aren't extremely wealthy, yet. My DH is most certainly a money hoarder. He hoards money just to have it. One day his hoarding will make us wealthy. I still don't see anything wrong with keeping what you have earned. *shrugs*

Quoting canadianmom1974:

I think there's a massive difference between saving for a rainy day/retirement and the type of money hoarding some extremely wealthy do.

illinoismommy83
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:44 AM
4 moms liked this

Yeah, I never understood why people think saving money is greedy. If I have $10 or $100,000,000, what I do with it is up to me. I have no desire to live out my days in some sub-standard nursing home. 

All semi-barely-wealthy people donate. We pretty much are forced to. You donate or you pay out the ass in taxes. We donate to who we want though. It might piss someone off that thousands go to a dog rescue group in December, but its really no ones business.

I hate the angry "If you have one cent more than me you are a bitch!" mentality.

smalltowngal
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:45 AM
I am a big fan of that. Both my parents lost their jobs in their 50's and were ok because they did save for a rainy day.

That being said, I know quite a few people who don't really have any disposable income to put away. My BIL is like that. He has come to us for help with a car repair and then does work for us as payment for the money. Poor kid can't get ahead even though he works 60 hours a week and has a roomate.
canadianmom1974
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:48 AM
4 moms liked this
When I say extremely wealthy I mean the .01% like the Gates, the Walton family. Though with the Gates, yes they're gojillionaires, but they also spend a lot of their money on good causes and they seem to treat their employees well. The Walton family, not so much.

Quoting furbabymum:

We aren't extremely wealthy, yet. My DH is most certainly a money hoarder. He hoards money just to have it. One day his hoarding will make us wealthy. I still don't see anything wrong with keeping what you have earned. *shrugs*

Quoting canadianmom1974:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SuperChicken
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:48 AM
1 mom liked this

There is a difference between hoarding and saving, imo.     Saving is a logical, necessary thing.     Hoarding is a mental illness, when things that are unnecessary, unneeded and useless are kept just for the sake of keeping them.    That can be money, but rarely is as so few people have actually saved enough money that they have more than they could ever possibly need for their own retirement.

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:48 AM
3 moms liked this

Quoting canadianmom1974:

So, it is okay as long as it isn't a lot of money?

That is ridiculous.  It is their money.  What they choose to do with it..whether it is spend or save is their business. 

I don't know about others, but I am now greedily hoarding money for my children.  I have no idea what the future will bring and I intend to do what I can to see they are provided for.  Those hoarded dollars will go into a trust, if my kids don't use it then it will go to my grandkids.  Somewhere down the road there will be a disaster.  I want to protect my family from it if I can.  I find it shocking that this is a bad thing.

smalltowngal
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:51 AM
11 moms liked this
There was a time when companies use to pass down profits to their employees so as long as you were hard working and did.a good job, you could at least support yourself. More and more companies no longer pass down those profits keeping wages flat even though we have had inflation. The government has made up the gap with welfare programs and in the process, creating a greater inflation issue. It is unhealthy for a very small amount of people to hold the majority of wealth. History shows us that situation never lasts long and when it does end, it rarely ends smoothly.

Quoting furbabymum:

Quoting canadianmom1974:

happinessforyou
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:52 AM
3 moms liked this

Apparently, W2 wage earners are greedy, 1% ers are hard workers who are wise investors, and PA recipients are lazy a$$holes who want everything handed to them. Only people who get up and go to work every day are G R E E D Y!!! Go figure...

SuperChicken
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting canadianmom1974:

So, it is okay as long as it isn't a lot of money?

That is ridiculous.  It is their money.  What they choose to do with it..whether it is spend or save is their business. 

I don't know about others, but I am now greedily hoarding money for my children.  I have no idea what the future will bring and I intend to do what I can to see they are provided for.  Those hoarded dollars will go into a trust, if my kids don't use it then it will go to my grandkids.  Somewhere down the road there will be a disaster.  I want to protect my family from it if I can.  I find it shocking that this is a bad thing.

It's only hoarding if you're not able to let it go without extreme difficulty.   If you're saving money with a purpose, even if that purpose is very far in the future, then it's not hoarding.    

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN