• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Instead if a years supply of Rice A Roni, you get... a BABY!

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:59 AM
  • 6 Replies

Game Show Gives Away Babies as Prizes 

article image

“Aman Ramazan,” a prime-time game show airing in Pakistan, is giving away abandoned babies as prizes to contestants who correctly answer questions about the Quran, Islam's holy book.

The show has given away two baby girls to two couples, and will likely award a baby boy to another family this week, notes CNN

“I was really shocked at first. I couldn’t believe we were being given this baby girl. I was extremely happy,” gushed winning contestant and new mom Suriya Bilqees.

The show, which is broadcast live for seven hours a day during the month of Ramadan, claims it's actually a humanitarian effort with the Chhipa Welfare Association.

“Our team finds babies abandoned on the street, in garbage bins, some of them dead, others mauled by animals. So why not ensure the baby is kept alive and gets a good home?” Ramzan Chhipa, who runs the Chhipa Welfare Association, told CNN.

“We didn’t just give the baby away. We have our own vetting procedure. This couple was already registered with us and had four or five sessions with us.”

However, the couples do not know that they will win a baby until the live broadcast.

“These are the disenfranchised babies that grow up to be street kids and used for suicide bombing attacks. We have tried to show an alternative,” said the game show's host Aamir Liaquat Hussain.

It's not quite a done deal. The winning couples still have to apply for guardianship of the babies in court.

Source: CNN

by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
SuperChicken
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:15 AM

That's one of the saddest things I've ever read :(

IhartU
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:17 AM

A strange way to go about it but as long as those babies are given to couples who will love them and take care of them I think it's a great thing.

jupiter5
by Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:25 AM
Yay! Also that's horrible about the abandonment :(
frillyflower
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:33 AM

I am not sure what to think about this. It's a strange public way of adopting out babies, but at the same time at least the babies are being adopted out. It says that the couples are already registered and approved with their agency to adopt so it's not like they're giving babies away to random strangers on the streets. Guess this way it helps save the couples the money of adoption, but still think it's a weird way to go about doing it. 

lizmarie1975
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:37 AM

I was on the fence, at first. Then the more I listened the more I realized it wasn't such a bad thing. The couples are completely vetted prior to them receiving the baby. The only "surprise" is that they receive the baby at the show.

viv212
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:42 AM
Wow. I wouldn't think this was legal but if everyone's happy, great! I'm happy for them!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)