• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

This is just crazy- bank heist

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:08 PM
  • 6 Replies

Share on facebookShare on twitterShare on stumbleuponShare on emailShare on printMore Sharing Services
Robbery suspects accused of using Hollywood-style white masks during heist
Posted: Jul 31, 2013 11:18 AM CDT
Updated: Jul 31, 2013 11:18 AM CDT
By: Jay Dillon, Senior Digital Content Manager - email

compositeeffects.com

NEW YORK CITY -
A trio of robbers plunked down a significant amount of cash to buy life-like mask to transform themselves from three black men into three white guys.

The heist of a Queens check-cashing store in 2012 landed the suspects $200,000 and some shiny new bracelets.

The trial of Akeem Monsalvatge, Derrick Dunkley and Edward Byam opened Tuesday with witnesses describing how they were completely fooled. According to investigators, the perps spent two months planning the heist and dropped $2,000 each for the masks.

Intending to appear as white cops, the Queens perps wore the NYPD clothing and badges as they pulled up to a Pay-O-Matic in Queens in February 2012 in a Ford Explorer, prosecutor Maria Cruz-Melendez said.

The men followed frightened employee Liloutie Ramnanan as she walked inside for work.

"I was scared for my life,'' Ramnanan testified Tuesday.

One crook showed her a picture of her own house and a gun to let her know the robbers meant business, she said.

The masks were bought from a well-known special-effects company CFX Composite Effects — which has worked on such flicks as "2 Guns" and "Wolverine". The suspects told company reps that they need the masks for a music video.

Investigators say the crooks were inspired by the 2010 Ben Affleck flick "The Town." As in the movie, in addition to donning masks, the robbers dressed as cops, doused bleach at the crime scene to destroy DNA traces, and provided evidence to a victim to prove they knew where she lived in case she squealed.

The prosecutors plan to use clips from the film and a picture of one of the suspects wearing a shirt with a picture of one of the disguised men from the movie.

More from the New York Post
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Mrs.Sparkle
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:09 PM
Smh at the things people do for money.
autodidact
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:16 PM

oh, people stole FROM a bank this time?

that's almost a refreshing change of pace. 

Mrs.Sparkle
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:21 PM
Meaning?

Quoting autodidact:

Mrs.Sparkle
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:23 PM
I think if they put as much effort into job skills as they did heisting skills they would be on the path to a great job. Except for the fact that they got caught :/
autodidact
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:26 PM

so you never watch the news? 

meaning not forclosing on homes on which they have no claim whatsoever. 

meaning not refusing to pay restitution when they have done so. 

meaning not breaking into someone's house, changing their locks, stealing their belongings, then refusing to compensate them at a decent rate for what they have taken. 

and those are just small potatoes. (well to the banksters, anyhow, not so much to the people they have screwed.)

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/blogs/taibblog

Quoting Mrs.Sparkle:

Meaning?

Quoting autodidact:

Mrs.Sparkle
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:31 PM
Thank you for clarifying ;)
Wasn't sure which direction you were going with that and figured I'd ask instead of assuming. There's all kinds of foreclosed homes just sitting where I live and they sell for dirt cheap too. As to watching the news I have 4 kids the only news I seem to get anymore is what I run across on the net on my phone ---- heathen kids have taken over all TVs in the home with those blasted gaming boxes.

Quoting autodidact:

so you never watch the news? 

meaning not forclosing on homes on which they have no claim whatsoever. 

meaning not refusing to pay restitution when they have done so. 

meaning not breaking into someone's house, changing their locks, stealing their belongings, then refusing to compensate them at a decent rate for what they have taken. 

and those are just small potatoes. (well to the banksters, anyhow, not so much to the people they have screwed.)

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/blogs/taibblog

Quoting Mrs.Sparkle:

Meaning?

Quoting autodidact:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)