Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

KKK Cross-burning photo stripped of first prize at county fair in Ohio

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:25 PM
  • 9 Replies

Quote:

KKK Cross-Burning Photo Stripped Of First Prize At County Fair In Ohio

07/31/13 09:38 AM ET EDT AP

XENIA, Ohio — A photo taken at a 1924 Ku Klux Klan rally with burning crosses was stripped of its winning blue ribbon at a county fair after a complaint that it was offensive.

The photo, which won first place in an antique photo category at the Greene County Fair in Xenia, depicts robed and unrobed KKK members kneeling in a circle at a Dayton rally. Burning crosses are visible in the background of the white supremacist group's gathering. On the photo is written "Dayton Klan 23 ... Realm-of-Ohio ... September 27, 1924."

The photo was removed from the western Ohio fairgrounds Tuesday after someone complained to a fair board member about what it showed and said it shouldn't have been rewarded by the fair, the Dayton Daily News () reported. http://bit.ly/131C2nn

Officials want to make clear that the fair in no way was endorsing what the photo depicted.

"We stripped the first-place placing and we have removed the photo from the fairgrounds," said Jeff Barr, Greene County Agricultural Society director. "The photo was not something we support at all. ... We're here for everybody."

He said judges in such contests are considering artistry and antiquity when awarding ribbons.

"It could have been the oldest antique there," Barr said.

The photo was returned to its owner, who wasn't identified by the fair.

___

I can certainly understand why any one would find this photo offensive and otherwise.

But, in all honesty, considering the photo contest was based on antique photos, and if this photo was indeed the oldest photo there, I can see why the judges would award the photo with first prize.  They were not awarding the contents of the photo.

But even still, it does seem wiser to stay away from such things.

by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
tnmomofive
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:27 PM
I agree with you.
lga1965
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:31 PM
1 mom liked this
It's a piece of history. And we should never forget the past, especially horrible things so that we will try not to make those mistakes again.
I can see it would be upsetting so I suppose they had no choice but to remove it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
yourspecialkid
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:31 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't think it should have been stripped of the prize.  Art isn't always pleasant.

Wicked.Jester
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:32 PM

So now documenting history is offensive?  We are doomed.

When did someones "offense" trump the right to free speech.

No one has the right to not be offended.

MomTiara19
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Yes its a relic.

But the kkk just like a cock roach... its hard to squash completely.

People who want to offend get more out of this picture than any offense on me as a black person.

tnmomofive
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:39 PM
1 mom liked this

On another note it is truely saddening to see that many people involved in those rallies.I mean I knew it was a lot but to see it.The sickening and inhuman things the klan did to other human beings is appalling.Sometimes it is just hard to believe how we can be so evil.

Mrs.Sparkle
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:40 PM
Interesting simply because will they next remove things from museums for being offensive? The sad fact is as much as anything about the clan bothers me it is a piece of history. To know your history is to know your future. Now I don't think a fair is the place to show that but maybe a museum?
prommy
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:00 PM

County fairs usually have a lot of innocent children running around, I don't think it's an appropriate venue for this kind of display. A museum or an antique show not related to a family event that includes young children would be more appropriate.

joyfree
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow! This made national? Our fair one county away had THIS photo win a blue ribbon, too, just two weeks ago...  I had to use  my Photosyth app to get the whole photo. Would have done a better job but my kids were bugging me about riding the rides.

I think this "winner" and the one in the OP were taken by the same photographer due to the fact that Greene County and Clark County border each other. The photo with the burning crosses is much more disturbing to me, for some reason.

My parents are long-time antique collectors and know many of the people on the fair board in Clark County, so I think I'm going to suggest that they should have clear directions about what is considered "acceptable" for entry... I find the photos interesting, but it is disturbing to know that there were so many Klan members in Ohio in the 1920's...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)