• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parents with teens AND young children

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:38 PM
  • 26 Replies

Do you/did you have teens and younger kids that needed to be watched during the summer while you worked?  How did you handle those babysitting needs?  Did your teenager watch their younger siblings or did you get daycare for the younger kids so your teens wouldn't be stuck watching their brothers/sisters?  

Is it unfair to teens to have them watching their younger siblings during the summer?  This question is predicated on the teen being older (16-19).  

by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
smalltowngal
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:45 PM
My brother is 11 years older than me and would occasionally watch me. He let me stay up and watch Poltergeist when I was 8. Unfortunately, my parents pulled up when the tree was eating the kid so I had to quickly wake up my brother and run to bed so he wouldn't get in trouble. I had nightmares for months. He also taught me to pour my first beer. We are still pretty close to this day. :)

I know my sister, 13 years older watched me but I don't remember it much. I get the feeling she was not happy getting stuck watching the younger siblings.
OHgirlinCA
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:49 PM
1 mom liked this

My kids are 6, 15, and 18.  My husband and I take my youngest to daycare during the summer while we work.  I, personally, do not feel my older kids should be expected to watch their younger brother. 

On occasion, I'll ask them to watch their little brother, but I pay them as if they were a babysitter if it is more than an hour or two.   

katy_kay08
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:51 PM

Does your 18 y/o work during the summer?  

Quoting OHgirlinCA:

My kids are 6, 15, and 18.  My husband and I take my youngest to daycare during the summer while we work.  I, personally, do not feel my older kids should be expected to watch their younger brother. 

On occasion, I'll ask them to watch their little brother, but I pay them as if they were a babysitter if it is more than an hour or two.   

OHgirlinCA
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:56 PM
She worked at the local county fair for about a month, but is currently not working. She's been having a hard time finding work. She's going off to college in a few weeks.
Quoting katy_kay08:

Does your 18 y/o work during the summer?  

Quoting OHgirlinCA:

Peanutx3
by Ruby Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:17 PM

Hmmm I don't know what I would do in that situation.  I currently have my oldest watch the younger two for a few hours at most if I am close to home.  I plan on during the school year having her watch the younger two for a few hours after school until I or John get home.  I don't think I would expect an older teenager to watch their siblings every day during the summer.  

lizmarie1975
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:22 PM
My kids are 17, 8, 4, and 2.

I work full time from home so my 17 year old is responsible for picking the 8 year old up from camp every Thursday to get her to gymnastics practice.

My youngest two still attend daycare during the summer months.

For this, he gets $$ for Pizza Hut.
canadianmom1974
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:23 PM
My oldest is 15 and I have a 10 and 7 yo. I work part time during the summer, varying shifts, so he only has to babysit once or twice a week for a few hours. It would be different if I worked full time, but as it stands he babysits.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JTROX
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:23 PM

My older kids would watch my younger kids occasionally but never for work.

My kids are 27, 25, 21, 17, 9.

Now the 17 yo watches his niece for his brother and sil.

stringtheory
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:29 PM
Just interested in responses...dd is eleven and little bro is due in Sep.
SilverSterling
by MrsSilverusSnape on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:30 PM

I have a 17yr 12,11, and 5yr... my 12yr watches over the 5yr better then the 17yr.. She has "watched" them for me for short amount of time and she takes her to the park or around the neighborhood to play with the kids... 

I dont think its unfair to them as long as they are allowed to do things with their friends sometimes or have them over... 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)