Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

a truck has just exploded in NYC's Flatiron District.

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 6:00 PM
  • 20 Replies

We're sad to report that a truck has just exploded in NYC's Flatiron District.

Firefighters are currently on the scene.

Truck Explodes In NYC's Flatiron District (PHOTOS x VIDEO)

Posted 6 hours 39 min ago by Rachel Samara for Global Grind Staff

We're sad to report that a truck has just exploded in NYC's Flatiron District.

Firefighters are currently on the scene.

Details to come...

video

http://globalgrind.com/news/truck-explodes-fire-new-york-nycs-flatiron-district-photos-video-vine

by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 6:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stormcris
by Christy on Jul. 31, 2013 at 6:04 PM

My first thought: Was it a semi or box truck carrying volatile liquid that hit someone or made a hard stop and ruptured something?

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 6:08 PM

The video shows a white van ..from the looks of it you can't see anything that it hot..but it's a short video that doesn't show much

Quoting stormcris:

My first thought: Was it a semi or box truck carrying volatile liquid that hit someone or made a hard stop and ruptured something?

ashellbell
by shellbark on Jul. 31, 2013 at 6:10 PM
Eek
JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Jul. 31, 2013 at 6:12 PM
2 moms liked this

Van Explodes In The Flatiron District But Two Delivery Workers Avoid Injury

Two delivery workers narrowly escaped injury late Wednesday morning when a sanitation worker warned them to step away from their van, shortly before it exploded near Madison Square Park in Manhattan.

Moses Huggins was delivering meat around 11:30 a.m. Wednesday at Fifth Avenue between 23rd and 24th Streets when Wilson Jimenez, a sanitation worker for the local business improvement district, warned Huggins and his co-worker to get away from the van.

"He said 'the truck is burning underneath,' so I saw the drippings from the fire burning from underneath the engine," Huggins said. "The cops came over, said, 'Get away, get away,' from the truck, and then, about 20 seconds later, the whole thing is blazed up."

Less than a minute after Jimenez's warning, the van caught fire and smoke filled the street.

Everyone in the area, including Huggins and his helper, avoided injury.

"We didn't know it was on fire," Huggins said. "If I were to pull off, don't know what would've happened to the next light. I feel that that saved my life."

Jimenez said in Spanish that he was glad to save lives.

"He feels good about it because he got a chance to save somebody and pretty much because, pretty much the van had a gas leak," Jimenez said through an interpreter. "If they would've kept on going, pretty much nobody was going to help them."

Stephen Pujols, who saw the truck go up in flames, said the incident could've been a whole lot worse.

"That was when everybody started to get scared. Even I got a little scared when that happened," Pujols said. "I thought it was going to be a bigger, bigger explosion. Even when they were throwing more water, it kept getting worse even with the water."

Huggins agreed, and is incredibly grateful he got out without a scratch.

"I said, 'I'm blessed, man.'" he said. "It could've been worse. Somebody could've got burnt. I could've lost my life."

Huggins personally thanked Jimenez and then took a picture with him. He said he did that so that he can always remember the man who helped save his life.

http://www.ny1.com/content/top_stories/186416/van-explodes-in-the-flatiron-district-but-two-delivery-workers-avoid-injury

stormcris
by Christy on Jul. 31, 2013 at 6:13 PM

Oh now that I see the video, I have seen that before when engines catch fire. Sometimes it does appear to be an explosion. When magnesium in the motor comes into contact with water it gives one heck of a show.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

The video shows a white van ..from the looks of it you can't see anything that it hot..but it's a short video that doesn't show much

Quoting stormcris:

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jul. 31, 2013 at 6:30 PM

And one in SF too-

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 6:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Thankfully it wasn't a terrorist attack

oddgirl
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 6:58 PM

They think the explosion in SF was caused by someone throwing firecrackers under the truck.

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/local/san_francisco&id=9191359#&cmp=twi-kgo-article-9191359

Quoting Sisteract:

And one in SF too-

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:06 PM
1 mom liked this
My hubby's first car when he was a teen started smoking real bad and the smoke started filling the car..fast!! Scariest feeling ever I thought we were gonna blow up!!

Quoting stormcris:

Oh now that I see the video, I have seen that before when engines catch fire. Sometimes it does appear to be an explosion. When magnesium in the motor comes into contact with water it gives one heck of a show.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting stormcris:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:07 PM
Who in the heck would do that

Quoting oddgirl:

They think the explosion in SF was caused by someone throwing firecrackers under the truck.

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/local/san_francisco&id=9191359#&cmp=twi-kgo-article-9191359

Quoting Sisteract:

And one in SF too-

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)