Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it good that Plan B One-Step will be sold in aisles instead of over-the-counter?

Posted by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 9:06 AM
  • 33 Replies

Plan B Now Sold on Store Shelves & Women Like Me Don’t Have to Be Humiliated Anymore

by The Stir Bloggers 

Plan BAsking the pharmacist for emergency contraception has always the bane of my existence. Not that I take it all the time. I don't. In fact, I've only taken it twice to date. However, I'll confess that today's news that the FDA has approved Plan B One-Step for "off the shelf" sale has me giddy. Again, not because I'm a whore. Not because I don't use protection (because believe you-me, I do). But because I think women have a right to buy emergency contraception without having to ask for it, and I don't think any woman should be made to feel like a lesser human being because they choose to take it.

... I would know. I've most definitely felt that way.

It wasn't a friend of mine who made me feel bad. It wasn't the situation, either. The pharmacist made me feel horrible. I had been contemplating whether or not I should purchase the pill all day. I'm on birth control, yes, but a major part of me still gets very, very nervous when things get hot and heavy without other protection. After deciding that I'd be more at peace if I just sprung for the emergency contraception, I headed to my local drug store to pick it up.

I approached the pharmacy counter and no one else was around: success #1. As the pharmacist came over -- a woman who looked to be in her mid-to-late 50s with horrible blue eyeliner and a loose bun that had slightly fallen to one side -- I smiled. "I'd like to pick up Plan B, please."

... and she just stared. No response for a solid five seconds. I smiled more. After what felt like the longest pause ever, she replies, "Umm, you know that it costs $50, right?"

No, I have no idea about the astronomical price tag. OF COURSE I DO, lady! What, do you think I can't afford it? The way she looked at me up and down. The judgment in her eyes. She made me feel like a floozy and less of a woman. She didn't know my circumstances. She most definitely doesn't know my partner (God, I hope not). To say I was irritated was an understatement.

After I replied, "Yes" (although I wanted to smack her upside the head instead) -- she paused for another five seconds before leaving the counter to go get the pack. I paid for the medicine, walked away from the counter, and went on with my life. Regardless, I'll never forget the way she made me feel. Never.

That's why today, I think women deserve a little "hoorah!" Hopefully this decision will make women everywhere feel less awkward when they choose to pick this particular item up from the drug store. Boasting a new purple packaging, customers will most likely be able to find Plan B One-Step in the family planning aisle starting today, August 1.

Do you think it's a good thing that Plan B One-Step will be sold in the aisles now instead of over-the-counter? Have you ever had an awkward experience buying emergency contraception?

by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 9:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Aug. 2, 2013 at 9:19 AM

In the Pharmacy I work at we still keep it behind the counter. It's over $40 and I'm sure if it was on the shelf we would have them walk off.

colins_mom
by Silver Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 9:19 AM
I see it being a disaster waiting to happen. many stes say that under a certain age you need a script or parents consent for it, and I agree. the plan B pill can do some pretty nasty things if not taken properly.
SilverSterling
by MrsSilverusSnape on Aug. 2, 2013 at 9:26 AM

I think behind the counter is better... The last time I was in Walgreen's picking up something for one of my kids a men in his 50's asked the Cashier for something called the morning after pill.. With him was a teenage boy no older then maybe 15... Anyway I about dyed giggling that a Man that old was asking for it while I assumed it was for his grand/son's (mostly because the boy with him was looking guilty as hell) 

Anyways My story has a point... While I think that it should be behind the counter I think that the Pharmacist needs to come speak to whoever it is picking it up privately and make sure the instructions are followed

..MoonShine..
by Redwood Witch on Aug. 2, 2013 at 9:49 AM
I agree...mostly...my issue is that some pharmacists seem to think that they can use their beliefs to say no, to lecture, and to judge. I had to take Plan B once, and even in a liberal area as I live in, I got "looked" at. Nevermind that I was three years into a relationship with the man I would marry.

So IDK...I'm still on the fence. While I had no side effects from it at all, my roommate in college was throwing up all night long.

Quoting SilverSterling:

I think behind the counter is better... The last time I was in Walgreen's picking up something for one of my kids a men in his 50's asked the Cashier for something called the morning after pill.. With him was a teenage boy no older then maybe 15... Anyway I about dyed giggling that a Man that old was asking for it while I assumed it was for his grand/son's (mostly because the boy with him was looking guilty as hell) 

Anyways My story has a point... While I think that it should be behind the counter I think that the Pharmacist needs to come speak to whoever it is picking it up privately and make sure the instructions are followed

SilverSterling
by MrsSilverusSnape on Aug. 2, 2013 at 9:51 AM

I have those same fears I live in the south...nuff said... 

Quoting ..MoonShine..:

I agree...mostly...my issue is that some pharmacists seem to think that they can use their beliefs to say no, to lecture, and to judge. I had to take Plan B once, and even in a liberal area as I live in, I got "looked" at. Nevermind that I was three years into a relationship with the man I would marry.

So IDK...I'm still on the fence. While I had no side effects from it at all, my roommate in college was throwing up all night long.

Quoting SilverSterling:

..MoonShine..
by Redwood Witch on Aug. 2, 2013 at 9:57 AM
Yep.

Quoting SilverSterling:

I have those same fears I live in the south...nuff said... 

Quoting ..MoonShine..:

Quoting SilverSterling:

tanyainmizzou
by Platinum Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 10:12 AM
1 mom liked this
Not for girls under 18
cindilou13
by Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 1:50 PM

I think it's a good thing for the majority of women.  I know there will be some that don't take responsibility and plan ahead who will take advantage of the easy access to have to take even less responsibility for themselves.  But for the majority of people I think it's great.

mistressflora
by Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 1:53 PM

I got plan b once, IDC either way, i am 30 , I am married, its not like im 16!  I didnt get mine at the pharmacy I got mine through the dr.  I think selling it in aisles would promote teens to steal them. We should be promoting safe sex, not unsafe sex, then take a pill to take care of it! ( idk if anyone legalized it for 18 and under yet just saying, if they didnt)

LindaClement
by Linda on Aug. 2, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Yes, it is good.

No, I've never had an awkward moment purchasing anything.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured