Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Mormons..

Posted by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 3:17 PM
  • 112 Replies

Mobile Photo

by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 3:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Aug. 2, 2013 at 3:18 PM

.... I don't get it

AlekD
by Gold Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 3:23 PM
2 moms liked this
Their cookies are average.

Its all about the funeral potatoes.
snookyfritz
by Platinum Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 3:24 PM

I thought funeral potatoes was a Southern thing, protestant for sure, but Southern

Della529
by Matlock on Aug. 2, 2013 at 3:25 PM

OooKay

AlekD
by Gold Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 3:25 PM
I have never been to the south. Its definitely a mormon thing up here.

Quoting snookyfritz:

I thought funeral potatoes was a Southern thing, protestant for sure, but Southern

Della529
by Matlock on Aug. 2, 2013 at 3:33 PM

I've never heard of a potato casserole being called funeral potatoes in the south.  The recipe sounds like something we have at reunions, Easter, large get-togethers, potlucks, etc., and of course at funerals, but I've never heard anyone call them that.

Perhaps this was a recipe that traveled from the south to the intermountain west when it was being settled. 

Quoting snookyfritz:

Pema_Jampa
by SxyTaco on Aug. 2, 2013 at 3:35 PM
5 moms liked this

I don't understand the hate in general towards Mormons. I have always met very kind and loving people who were Mormons. Maybe there is a lot of misunderstanding about the religion?

Pema_Jampa
by SxyTaco on Aug. 2, 2013 at 3:36 PM

From mesquitemamma 6 years ago
  • 55 minutes to make
  • Serves 12

This recipe got its "tongue in cheek" name by always being part of the luncheon after a Mormon funeral. I’m confident there are other religions that have their funeral staples too and I’m sure this dish isn’t isolated to just Mormons! Read more

Ingredients

How to make it

• Grease 9x13 baking dish and preheat oven to 350
  • In large bowl combine soups, sour cream, cheese, onions, and the 1/2 cup of melted butter.
  • Gently fold hash browns into mixture.
  • Pour mixture into pan.
  • Combine crushed corn flakes and the 2 Tbs. of melted butter and sprinkle on top of potato mixture.
  • Bake for 30 minutes.
  • *If wanting to, you can use cubed potatoes instead of hash browns but you will need to increase baking time to 55 minutes.
AlekD
by Gold Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 3:39 PM
2 moms liked this
I love Mormons. They have never been anything but sweet to me. They could be a bit clique-y at school and I disagree with their theology pretty vehemently, but they are generally well-intentioned people.

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

I don't understand the hate in general towards Mormons. I have always met very kind and loving people who were Mormons. Maybe there is a lot of misunderstanding about the religion?

snookyfritz
by Platinum Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 3:40 PM
3 moms liked this

My husband used to teach in a heavily Mormon area.  He loved the kids.  Very well behaved and very hard workers.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)