Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Miss. Law Requires Umbilical Cord Blood From Underage Moms For DNA Testing

Posted by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 3:20 PM
  • 64 Replies

Miss. Law Requires Umbilical Cord Blood From Underage Moms For DNA Testing

article image

A new Mississippi law will require that if a girl younger than 16 gives birth and will not say who the father is, the blood from her umbilical cord will be collected so that DNA tests can be conducted in order to paternity information. The state believes the law will help in prosecuting statutory rape cases. Mississippi has one of the highest teen pregnancy rates in the United States.

Critics of the painless procedure say that it is an invasion of privacy and — at about $1,000 per DNA test — an expensive one at that, The Big Story.

Gov. Phil Bryant said the point of the DNA tests is to aid in the prosecution of grown men who have sex with underage girls.

"It is to stop children from being raped," Bryant said. "One of the things that go on in this state that's always haunted me when I was a law-enforcement officer is seeing the 14- and 15-year-old girl that is raped by the neighbor next door and down the street."

He added: "A lot of DAs and judges don't want to take these cases on. Oftentimes, the female doesn't want to press charges or the parents do not want to. So, we've just got to stop this."

The law went into effect on July 1, but it has n0t been put into use yet.

Bear Atwood, the legal director for the American Civil Liberties Union of Mississippi, points out that the law might stop an underage girl who does not want to reveal the identity of her baby's father from getting prenatal care.

"Will she decide not to have the baby in a hospital where she can have a safe, happy, healthy delivery?" she said.

"Most often, it is not middle school boys that are getting the middle school girls pregnant," said Judge Janace Harvey Goree, who oversees child support cases in four counties in central Mississippi. "When you're seeking child support quite often in these situations, they don't identify the father and so quite often you don't know until way down the road that the person who is the father is a relative or the boyfriend ... of someone else in the household.”

by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 3:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Aug. 2, 2013 at 3:22 PM

LiliM
by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 3:40 PM
8 moms liked this
I find it tragically amusing that the States that are the most red are almost always screaming about too much government..... and yet take the most state aid and are the most intrusive into people's personal lives.

Not that it's a bad thing to have two legal parents.

I have never been bothered by the idea that a child be subject to a DNA test at birth. One always knows their mother... but it's a wise child as knows it's father.

But such an idea has always been decried as too invasive.Trust a red nosy Parker state to find another way to spin it.
futureshock
by Ruby Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Good.

enlightened_24
by Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 4:02 PM
1 mom liked this

What I can never understand is the lack of charges. I get that the parent may want to spare their child further humilitation but this country needs to get its shit together. All to often I hear about these kids being sexually abused and the community lashes out at the victim. Really? I pray nothing ever happens to my kids but if it does, they will not see the inside of a jail cell, just the inside of a dirt hole.

BellaByrdie
by Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 4:35 PM
1 mom liked this
Not all parents believe their children when they make claims of sexual abuse and rape. I wish I could give you this information based on theory or someone I once knew. But sadly I wasn't believed when I told of constant sexual abuse. And just as bad. two of my friends mothers knew I was being sexually abused and STILL did nothing. Sometimes the lack of charges stems from a lack of belief that anything happened.
Quoting enlightened_24:

What I can never understand is the lack of charges. I get that the parent may want to spare their child further humilitation but this country needs to get its shit together. All to often I hear about these kids being sexually abused and the community lashes out at the victim. Really? I pray nothing ever happens to my kids but if it does, they will not see the inside of a jail cell, just the inside of a dirt hole.

BellaByrdie
by Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 4:39 PM

I applaud the thought and the wish behind it.  Children should be protected.  And sometimes the people harming young teenage girls are family members. 

But how will that help them?  How can they justify the violation of rights?  

TCgirlatheart
by TC on Aug. 2, 2013 at 4:40 PM
3 moms liked this
W. T. F.
TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Aug. 2, 2013 at 4:41 PM
3 moms liked this
I do Not agree wIth this. Regardless of age a person should still have rights to their body and their babys body. To take blood against their will and store it should be illegal.
TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Aug. 2, 2013 at 4:42 PM
1 mom liked this
I also applaud someone trying to do something about it but it does not justify them losing their rights at all.

Quoting BellaByrdie:

I applaud the thought and the wish behind it.  Children should be protected.  And sometimes the people harming young teenage girls are family members. 

But how will that help them?  How can they justify the violation of rights?  

katy_kay08
by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 4:43 PM
3 moms liked this

so the cord blood will be collected at birth and this is a problem? This is generally discarded as medical waste and it will certainly speed up the process when a young mother refuses to submit to the testing of her child.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)