Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

local animal encounters (total fluff)

Posted by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 5:54 PM
  • 68 Replies

Carpy's crickets gone wild post inspired this idea.  What are some of your favorite/funniest/scariest "wild" animal stories.  (I know we love our pets but let's talk about those critters that may not be as near and dear to our hearts).  

Generally speaking, I'm a giant coward with anything smaller than a cat.  When we first moved into our house years ago we had trees all around it, apple trees right up to the back porch and as a result we had tree frogs EVERYWHERE.  They would get in the bbq and jump at you when you would open the lid and would even hide in the window tracks INSIDE the house if you left a door open too long or a screen wasn't in all the way.  That first year in the house was a twitchy one for me.  I learned to appreciate them as long as they were outside and not jumping anywhere.  

Last summer we had about three little tree frogs take up residence in my Hens and chicks right on the front porch.  One hot summer day I was showing my parents that they like to hid in the plant.  If I sprayed the plant with the hose they would come out of hiding.  Well one jumped right out of the plant onto the hot driveway and I paniced worried that it was going to burn it's little feet.  I quickly turned the hose to hose down the driveway and in my panic I ended up hosing my father down.  :|  

Here is a picture of the frog

by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 5:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
my4kids274
by Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 5:59 PM

We just moved into this house 7 months ago.  Just recently after a large rain we were downstairs in our basement and heard a lot of chirping...It sounded like we had frogs in our basement.  Well when my dh went to investigate we found 50 + baby frogs in our sump pump.  Apparently they had made their way in through the pipe from the outside of the house.  I love frogs so my son and dh started calling me the "frog lady" due to the frogs being in the sump pump well in the basement... 

katy_kay08
by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 6:01 PM

That would not be a good thing for me.  I'm good with these things being outside but run like a girl (I'm pretty sure the term came about after watching me run in the middle of a hissy fit) when they get in the house.  

Quoting my4kids274:

We just moved into this house 7 months ago.  Just recently after a large rain we were downstairs in our basement and heard a lot of chirping...It sounded like we had frogs in our basement.  Well when my dh went to investigate we found 50 + baby frogs in our sump pump.  Apparently they had made their way in through the pipe from the outside of the house.  I love frogs so my son and dh started calling me the "frog lady" due to the frogs being in the sump pump well in the basement... 

stormcris
by Christy on Aug. 2, 2013 at 6:03 PM
2 moms liked this

I have spent this summer trying to make sure my husband doesn't kill things. We have a resident garter snake that is three foot long (yes I am sure it is a garter snake) which is long for one of those type. He was about to kill the bees and wasp around my banana tree and I said those wasp will kill the bugs in the garden (predatory wasps for squash bugs) and the bees and wasp are pollinators without which this planet would die. I have encountered a black widow, as it was outside I left it alone. The coyote in the woods was a great find. I have red birds and crows that hang around the house as well as multiple others. 

ShannyLouisiany
by Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 6:04 PM
1 mom liked this
when I was in high school, I lived with my dad in Mississippi. a possum got into the house somehow. my stepmother chased it out with a broom. whilst swatting it to frighten it toward the door, it shit all over a wall. *gag*
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katy_kay08
by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 6:05 PM
2 moms liked this

animal encounter number 2: 

One summer a small yellow finch took a liking to us and would spend the day sitting on our window sills looking inside the room at us.  We first thought he was doing it to see his reflection but he would follow us around the house and peek in the windows and tap on them.  

Here he was greeting us one morning.  

katy_kay08
by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 6:06 PM

oh yuck 

Quoting ShannyLouisiany:

when I was in high school, I lived with my dad in Mississippi. a possum got into the house somehow. my stepmother chased it out with a broom. whilst swatting it to frighten it toward the door, it shit all over a wall. *gag*

my4kids274
by Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 6:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Last year we had a bull frog that got into my house at the beach.  I literally had my kids in stitches laughing at me when I was chasing it around the house trying to catch the darn thing in a garbage can to put it back outside.  lol.

I have some interesting encounters through the years though.  I stepped on a copperhead snake while camping.  When we living in San Antonio I had a neighbor call me at 6 am in the morning to come over to kill a scorpion that was in her bathtub.  I had rattle snakes sunning themselves on my front porch and we had tarantulas in our front yard.  lol.  I think the funniest enounter in Texas was when my 2 yo kept looking out the front window saying Horsey Mommy.  I looked outside and I had 4 horses in my front yard grazing and eating my newly planted flowers.  I called the police and they laughed at me and then told me I could get in trouble for this prank call.  I told them it was not a prank call and I needed them to come out.  They came out and herded the things back into their pasture that was across the street from my house.  lol. 

Quoting katy_kay08:

That would not be a good thing for me.  I'm good with these things being outside but run like a girl (I'm pretty sure the term came about after watching me run in the middle of a hissy fit) when they get in the house.  

Quoting my4kids274:

katy_kay08
by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 6:09 PM
1 mom liked this

I've had the "leave the bees alone" discussion as well.   Snakes, now they would be fair game as I want no part of them.  

We used to have a lot more encounters when we lived in the valley.  Coyotes in the field next door, raccoons walking the fence in the morning.  Up here the only thing we encounter are neighbor dogs that snuck through the fence to visit.  

Quoting stormcris:

I have spent this summer trying to make sure my husband doesn't kill things. We have a resident garter snake that is three foot long (yes I am sure it is a garter snake) which is long for one of those type. He was about to kill the bees and wasp around my banana tree and I said those wasp will kill the bugs in the garden (predatory wasps for squash bugs) and the bees and wasp are pollinators without which this planet would die. I have encountered a black widow, as it was outside I left it alone. The coyote in the woods was a great find. I have red birds and crows that hang around the house as well as multiple others. 

katy_kay08
by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 6:12 PM

Oh no! I love the horsey story!  

Our neighbors had cows one year and they were getting ready to take them to auction.  One jumped the fence and took off through our neighborhood.   I was on the phone watching it and remember saying "uh mom, I have to call you back there is a cow running through the yard"  We spent the evening looking for the cow who took off and hid in the blueberry farm across the weigh.  Needless to say they didn't find her in time to take her to auction.  Smart cow.  :) 

Quoting my4kids274:

Last year we had a bull frog that got into my house at the beach.  I literally had my kids in stitches laughing at me when I was chasing it around the house trying to catch the darn thing in a garbage can to put it back outside.  lol.

I have some interesting encounters through the years though.  I stepped on a copperhead snake while camping.  When we living in San Antonio I had a neighbor call me at 6 am in the morning to come over to kill a scorpion that was in her bathtub.  I had rattle snakes sunning themselves on my front porch and we had tarantulas in our front yard.  lol.  I think the funniest enounter in Texas was when my 2 yo kept looking out the front window saying Horsey Mommy.  I looked outside and I had 4 horses in my front yard grazing and eating my newly planted flowers.  I called the police and they laughed at me and then told me I could get in trouble for this prank call.  I told them it was not a prank call and I needed them to come out.  They came out and herded the things back into their pasture that was across the street from my house.  lol. 

Quoting katy_kay08:

Quoting my4kids274:

rotPferd
by Silver Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 6:16 PM
1 mom liked this

I had a face to face encounter with a skunk by climbing up a creek embankment. Needless to say, I jumped back into the creek. lol Have encountered numerous snakes in the barn while cleaning stalls, been stung twice by scorpions, one was in my shirt when I was 8 mos pregnant. Me and my mom used to pour gas into tarantula holes and set them on fire when they came out (it was HER idea). My dad would get so mad!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN