Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Clarkson Blocked From Taking Austen's Ring

Posted by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 11:22 AM
  • 9 Replies

I really don't care about celebrity news, normally, but this story caught my eye. It isn't really about Clarkson at all, but rather about the situation and the ruling.  

Clarkson Blocked From Taking Austen's Ring

By

The British government is trying to stop Kelly Clarkson from taking a ring that belonged to novelist Jane Austen out of the country.

The chart-topping singer and "American Idol" winner bought the turquoise and gold ring at an auction last year for more than $230,000, according to the BBC.

Culture Minister Ed Vaizey made the decision to defer granting an export license for the ring "on the grounds that it is so closely connected with our history and national life that its departure would be a misfortune," according to a statement from the U.K.'s Department for Culture, Media and Sport on Thursday.

"Jane Austen's modest lifestyle and her early death mean that objects associated with her of any kind are extremely rare, so I hope that a U.K. buyer comes forward so this simple but elegant ring can be saved for the nation," Vaizey said in a statement.

The ring is one of only three pieces of jewelry known to have belonged to the iconic English author of such classics as "Pride and Prejudice," "Emma" and "Persuasion."

The ring was first passed on to Austen's sister, Cassandra, who then gave it to her sister-in-law Eleanor Austen when she became engaged to Henry Thomas Austen. The ring has remained in the Austen family ever since, according to the U.K. Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

"Jane Austen placed great significance on jewelry's link to personal relationships both in her life and in her novels," the Department of Culture said in a statement. "Often reflecting the characters of wearers in her novels, jewels were frequently much more than symbols of vanity and excess."

Vaizey is offering U.K. buyers a chance to keep the ring in the U.K. Potential buyers have until Sept. 30 to match the $232,836 price tag. The deadline could be extended to Dec. 30 if"a serious intention to raise funds" is made. If someone does not come forward to match the price, the export license will be granted.

Kelly Clarkson's fiance, Brandon Blackstock, a talent manager and Reba McEntire's stepson, reportedly had a replica made for her. Clarkson did not immediately respond to ABC News' request for comment.

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/kelly-clarkson-blocked-taking-jane-austens-ring-uk-171753971.html

by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 11:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
GLWerth
by Gina on Aug. 3, 2013 at 11:24 AM
1 mom liked this

While I understand why this would be a significant artifact for the nation, I wonder why it was even at auction at all, if it is considered so important.

The woman bought it and should be allowed to take it wherever she wishes.

Also, if the British government is this upset about this ring, do they plan to return, say, the many Egyptian artifacts they currently have in their museums?

stringtheory
by Gold Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 11:41 AM
1 mom liked this
I had heard about this also. I guess if they want it to stay in the country so badly, the government should provide a grant to a local institution to match the funds.
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Aug. 3, 2013 at 11:47 AM
2 moms liked this

If they want this ring to remain in the country why was it up for auction to being with, allowing any one to bid?

More of a thought versus an actual question.

I would be interested in knowing the rules, so to speak, of this auction and what, if any, side with the keeping it in the country, as well as, extending the auction in order for someone within the country to out bid her.

stringtheory
by Gold Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 11:51 AM
2 moms liked this
I was trying to find out who auctioned the ring, and the closest I've read was in the BBC article linked in the op; all it said is that the ring has been in the Austen family until the auction. That doesn't explain if it was part of some sort of estate sale, or if a living family member chose to auction it off knowingly to a foreigner...

Quoting FromAtoZ:

If they want this ring to remain in the country why was it up for auction to being with, allowing any one to bid?

More of a thought versus an actual question.

I would be interested in knowing the rules, so to speak, of this auction and what, if any, side with the keeping it in the country, as well as, extending the auction in order for someone within the country to out bid her.

katy_kay08
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 11:59 AM
2 moms liked this

Maybe the government should have purchased it to insure it stayed in the possession of the country.

TCgirlatheart
by TC on Aug. 3, 2013 at 12:12 PM
2 moms liked this

"Culture Minister Ed Vaizey made the decision to defer granting an export license for the ring "on the grounds that it is so closely connected with our history and national life that its departure would be a misfortune," according to a statement from the U.K.'s Department for Culture, Media and Sport on Thursday."

Well, why didn't anyone think of this before the auction??

AlekD
by Gold Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 12:15 PM
2 moms liked this

survivorinohio
by René on Aug. 3, 2013 at 1:04 PM

I love the graphic and tend to agree however it should not have been sold at auction and since it was it should go to the highest bidder.

Quoting AlekD:

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

greenie63
by Silver Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 1:20 PM

If the UK wanted it to stay there, they should have purchased it and placed it in a museum. 

She bought it, now it's hers to do with as she wishes. Who knows maybe she'll be gracious enough and donate it to the UK. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)