Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Did I do the right thing? (personal story from yesterday)

Posted by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 11:23 AM
  • 166 Replies
2 moms liked this
Yesterday, I had a vet appointment for one of my four fur babies. This particular babe keeps rubbing his face on the concrete in an effort to relieve his irritated eyes from chronic allergies, subsequently damaging his cornia. Though he gets injections to control the itching, he still likes to rub. My DH and arrive, and as I'm getting Max out, and my DH is removing the boxes of fresh bell peppers I brought for my vet friend, I hear this man speaking in a very mean tone. I look, and it's a large man about 50, and an elderly woman, about 80. She's walking with a cane, and shuffling along very slowly. I expect it's a mother and son situation ( husband must have passed). The man said..."hurry up would ya?! You are taking forever! Lady says..." we'll, I, I, I'm trying to move, but I want to lock the car first"....."click the keychain woman, the one in your hand for Christ sakes!!" he replies. Now by this point I have had enough.....I say, rather loudly...."really? Am I seeing and hearing this right now?" I go over to the woman..."you want to lock your doors mam?"..."yes"...."ok, let me see your keys".....I push the lock button, the car beeps twice, indicating its locked. ....she replies..."thank you honey"....I take her arm under mine, walk her in the office, get her seated, and right in front of everyone, including the son, I say...."now as long as I'm here and you're here, if you need one thing, ask me!" I looked at the son, and he said in a very low voice without looking at me..."thanks". Now, I know it "felt" right to say and do what I did, but truly, in this day and age, was this really any of my business?
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 11:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Carpy
by Ruby Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 11:28 AM
9 moms liked this
Yes, if he treats her like that in public, how does she get treated in private.
KamWorthy
by Silver Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 11:33 AM
1 mom liked this
Oh, I know. That crossed my mind. Also, while we were sitting in the waiting room, my husband noticed the son was either going through withdrawals, or had some sort of neorological disorder. I'm thinking from the looks of it, he was a drug addict. Then when I got in and told my doctor about what I saw, he conformed, yes, the son is a drug addict, and his mother's care giver. My doctor has called authorities, nothing, that he knows of, has come of it. Sad!
Quoting Carpy:

snookyfritz
by Platinum Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 11:36 AM

I wonder if the doctor should have divulged information like that to you

..MoonShine..
by Redwood Witch on Aug. 3, 2013 at 11:36 AM
I agree.

Quoting Carpy:

KamWorthy
by Silver Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 11:38 AM
1 mom liked this
I think a vet can, now if it was information about their dog being a drug addict, that may be a different story...lol Anyway...back on track...did I do the right thing or not?
Quoting snookyfritz:

I wonder if the doctor should have divulged information like that to you

candlegal
by Judy on Aug. 3, 2013 at 11:40 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes you did the right thing.

KamWorthy
by Silver Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 11:43 AM
But truly, how was it my business? She wasn't in harms way really, just being treated poorly.
Quoting candlegal:

momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 11:44 AM
3 moms liked this

This was at a vet's office?  Where was their animal?  How would the vet know the details of the situation between the mother and the son and that the son was an addict and her caregiver?  

However, if things happened as you say, it was nice of you to help the lady with her keys.  

candlegal
by Judy on Aug. 3, 2013 at 11:45 AM
1 mom liked this

When somone is being mistreated, it is your business.

Quoting KamWorthy:

But truly, how was it my business? She wasn't in harms way really, just being treated poorly.
Quoting candlegal:

brewstersmama
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 11:45 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes!! That is so sad, I have a soft spot for the elderly, that broke my heart :'(
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)