Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Alabama state champion coach and AD fired for being a member of the wrong church

Posted by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 11:54 AM
  • 26 Replies

Alabama state champion coach and AD fired for being a member of the wrong church

East Memorial Christian Academy, here playing in blue, is without its coach weeks before kickoff — BeRecruitedEast Memorial Christian Academy, here playing in blue, is without its coach weeks before kickoff — BeRecruited

As reported by the Montgomery Advertiser, Prattville (Ala.) East Memorial Christian Academy super coach Scott Phillips, who led the school’s football program to its first state playoff birth in years and coached the boys basketball team to the first state title in any sport, was dismissed because he refused to force his family to attend East Memorial Baptist Church.

While Phillips had never been forced to attend the school’s affiliated church when he was only a coach, that changed when he became the school’s athletic director. As confirmed by the Advertiser, East Memorial Christian Academy’s athletic director was expected to attend the East Memorial Baptist Church, even though there was allegedly not an official clause in the contract requiring such attendance.

Now former East Memorial Christian Academy coach Scott Phillips — USA Today/Montgomery AdvertiserNow former East Memorial Christian Academy coach Scott Phillips — USA Today/Montgomery Advertiser

Phillips tried to make that work, getting his family to start each Sunday at a 9 a.m. service atEast Memorial before attending an 11 a.m. service at his family’s church of choice, Church of the Highlands. Eventually that routine began to make Phillips feel dishonest, leading to a conversation with East Memorial officials where the coach and AD told them he didn’t feel comfortable attending Sunday services at East Memorial Baptist.

That was the last conversation he would have as the school’s AD.

"I was 30 seconds from turning the job down because of the church issue," Phillips told theAdvertiser. "They wanted me to transition from the Church of the Highlands to East Memorial. I never really liked that, so I went back in my administrator’s office and told them I was willing to give this a try, but I don’t know how this will work out?

"That was the last thing said."

Phillips insists that he tried to shift his family from Church of the Highlands to Eastern Memorial Baptist, but said he never reached any level of comfort about the decision. Eventually, he had to deal with the situation head-on, hoping that Eastern Memorial officials would be reasonable about his faith.

That was apparently too much to ask.

"In a nutshell, I told them I miss my old church," Phillips recalls. "I went in to share my heart to a pastor. Knowing what might happen, but kind of saying, 'Maybe we can work something out?' I knew that wasn’t going to be the end of it because it was going to be a process. It wasn’t received well."

by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 11:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Aug. 3, 2013 at 11:59 AM
2 moms liked this

Seeing how it appears there was no clause in his contract, stating he would indeed attend any particular church, that the school is wrong.

I may not like it, but I can see why the school would want their staff to attend their own church.  However, not stating that is a requirement of employment leaves the door open for staff to attend where they like.

Also, the fact that, while as merely a coach, it was fine he and his family attended else where, speaks volumes.

snookyfritz
by Platinum Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 12:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Catholics don't generally church hop, in fact it was a pretty hard and fast rule that you attended church in your parish.  I would suppose that a AD would be expected to attend the church where he is employed in an administrative capacity

KamWorthy
by Silver Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 12:28 PM
I may have missed it, but where in the article does it say he was "fired"?
sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 12:29 PM

As reported by the Montgomery Advertiser, Prattville (Ala.) East Memorial Christian Academy super coach Scott Phillips, who led the school’s football program to its first state playoff birth in years and coached the boys basketball team to the first state title in any sport, was dismissed because he refused to force his family to attend East Memorial Baptist Church.

in the first paragraph

Quoting KamWorthy:

KamWorthy
by Silver Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 12:29 PM
I agree. It's like when you have a District politician who lives out of the district he represents.
Quoting snookyfritz:

Catholics don't generally church hop, in fact it was a pretty hard and fast rule that you attended church in your parish.  I would suppose that a AD would be expected to attend the church where he is employed in an administrative capacity

KamWorthy
by Silver Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 12:31 PM
Oh, ok got it, THANK YOU!
Quoting sweet-a-kins:

in the first paragraph

Quoting KamWorthy:

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Why would you attend a church in an administrative capacity?

From the OP it doesn't sound administrative,,,,

Quoting snookyfritz:

snookyfritz
by Platinum Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 12:51 PM

An AD is administrative

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting snookyfritz:

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 12:53 PM

right for the school,. that serves no purpose in church

Quoting snookyfritz:

An AD is administrative

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting snookyfritz:

snookyfritz
by Platinum Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Of course it does, if you are a teacher/administrator at a church run school, you are expected to attend their church.  Common sense dictates that

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

right for the school,. that serves no purpose in church

Quoting snookyfritz:

An AD is administrative

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting snookyfritz:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)