Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Video Game Murder Same as Real Murder

Posted by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 11:07 AM
  • 98 Replies

Video Game Murder Same as Real Murder, Claims Pat Robertson 

article image

Today on the 700 Club, Pat Robertson was asked by a viewer if playing pretend video games was seen as sinful by God.

"What do you think the bible has to say about video games? Is there a way to interpret the Bible for 'virtual sins? I'm not the type of person who would do half of these things in games in real life, but does God see it as a sin if we enjoy them in a virtual setting?" asked the viewer.

The Bible never mentions imaginary scenarios involving imaginary sins.

"Jesus said, 'if you look upon a woman with thoughts lust in your heart, you've committed adultery with her, ' so that's a virtual sin," said Robertson, noted MediaMatters.org

However, Jesus never mentioned looking upon an imaginary woman, but was referring to real women.

Robertson then admitted he had never actually played a video game, but added, "I think mayhem, killing, Grand Theft Auto, they get pretty bizarre. So if you're murdering somebody in cyberspace in a sense you're performing the act, whether you like it or not."

In 2005, Robertson supported real-life killing in the form of the Iraq War and claimed anyone who dared to even criticize the war was actually committing "treason" against the United States.

Source: MediaMatters.org

by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 11:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
caito
by Silver Member on Aug. 4, 2013 at 11:10 AM
3 moms liked this

lmfao omg.

I guess I've committed thousands of murders then.

nuclear_sugar
by Jaye on Aug. 4, 2013 at 11:13 AM
1 mom liked this
Robertson is a nut, but I don't really understand why so many moms are OK with their kids playing violent and murderous games...it IS simulating a horrible act, and it HAS TO affect young minors in some way...I don't think it's a "sin" to play Grand Theft Auto, but I don't see it benefitting me or my kids in any way, so that stuff does not come in our house.
lilblu399
by Bronze Member on Aug. 4, 2013 at 11:15 AM
3 moms liked this
Lol. This is just as goofy as those people who believe video games lead to violence.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
parentalrights1
by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 11:15 AM
No it didn't effect me at all. Lol

Quoting nuclear_sugar:

Robertson is a nut, but I don't really understand why so many moms are OK with their kids playing violent and murderous games...it IS simulating a horrible act, and it HAS TO affect young minors in some way...I don't think it's a "sin" to play Grand Theft Auto, but I don't see it benefitting me or my kids in any way, so that stuff does not come in our house.

celestegood
by Silver Member on Aug. 4, 2013 at 11:15 AM
I am against those types of games, but disagree with him. Who can presume to know the thoughts and will of God?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
IhartU
by Gold Member on Aug. 4, 2013 at 11:15 AM
1 mom liked this

Guess what? I actually agree with him! You are getting pleasure from killing even though it's not killing something for real.

parentalrights1
by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 11:16 AM
Every single person that thinks that is not a gamer lol. They assume

Quoting lilblu399:

Lol. This is just as goofy as those people who believe video games lead to violence.

mlg1989
by Bronze Member on Aug. 4, 2013 at 11:17 AM
I mean I see what he is saying however he says a lot of questionable things so I wouldnt exactly deem him worthy of telling me what and how God thinks.

sstripedmonkey
by Member on Aug. 4, 2013 at 11:18 AM
She and I are both gamers, this guy is a nut case. We do monitor what our kids play though and we keep the murder games until after their asleep.
LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Aug. 4, 2013 at 11:19 AM
Yeah, no. Not actually killing not alive imaginary characters is virtual worlds is nothing at all like actually killing a flesh and blood person in the real world. Robertson is a loon bot!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)