Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

What shocked you when you first joined CM?

Posted by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 7:30 PM
  • 182 Replies
3 moms liked this

First off, let me preface this with: this post was not inspired by the foolery going on in any other news group.

Is there anything that shocked you when you joined CM that just doesn't seem like a big deal at all now?

I was in a patient's room today, when their pastor came in and was just speaking with her and her family about different things. It sparked a memory of when I very first joined CM. I remember being shocked by quite a few things And I find it interesting how my feelings and opinions have changed over the years.

I first joined CM pretty early on it was sometime in 2006, I believe.

I am going to put myself out there and possibly have these things used against me later, but I'm willing to deal with that, lol. This feels like it should be a fluffy post.

Ok, so my very first experience here was a volatile circ post. I had no idea that there was a circ debate going on, my kids were way past that age, and I was shocked at the anti circ movement! I didn't know of any parents choosing to not have it done.

Now, it's one of those things that is no big deal. Parents choose to do it, or to not do it, I have no feelings on the matter. LOL.

Another thing I discovered here is openly atheist moms. That right there to me was so far out of my realm of experience, I didn't know what to think. Truly, being an atheist was very controversial in my world.

Now, I enjoy talking to women of all different faiths and atheists too. Atheists really make me think about things that I have always held as a given in life, in a completely different way.

There is more stuff but I have got to get my grocery shopping done, plus It's embarrassing to admit to such naivety.

Please join me in this and hopefully this can be a light post.

I'm on mobile so please overlook any typos that I may have missed:)

OH I remember this epic post in NC club. It's sad that it turned epic.

Some chick posted a picture of her child in the winter. In a car seat. He was wearing a coat. Hit the fan, I mean, splat!

by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 7:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
katy_kay08
by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 7:35 PM
8 moms liked this

I was truly surprised by the things people will share on the internet, from pictures of bloody toilet paper covered in poo to mucus plugs and kidney stones caught in the strainer.   The things people share around here just goes beyond my comprehension.  Nothing seems to be off the table for some.  

joyfree
by Silver Member on Aug. 4, 2013 at 7:35 PM
10 moms liked this

I was shocked by the number of mean-spirited women on here... Luckily, they are fairly small in number.

punky3175
by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 7:36 PM
I'll join you in the being unaware of the circ/no circ debate. My DS will be 14 at the end of the month and I do remember my male co-workers trying to convince me not to circumcise him (or at lease one male co-worker.)

I also didn't know there were people who thought of birth control pills as a form of abortion.
romalove
by Roma on Aug. 4, 2013 at 7:37 PM
7 moms liked this

I was shocked at the number of people who reject science.

I was shocked at the number of people who think it's their business what other people do regarding breastfeeding or circumsizing or cosleeping.  

I was shocked at how mean spirited some people were.

Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Aug. 4, 2013 at 7:39 PM
4 moms liked this

I was shocked at the level of racism and bigotry here. In fact my first post was something about "Southern Pride" with a mix of how racsim appeared to me to be entwined into the "southern pride" culture.

Now, I am no longer so shocked by other's blantant racism; I am now just saddened by it. But it did wake me up and make me realize that there is a whole country of hate out there.

Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Aug. 4, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Nothing really. 

lancet98
by Silver Member on Aug. 4, 2013 at 7:40 PM
5 moms liked this

I was shocked by both the racism and the ignorance as well as the lack of true discussion.

None of this has become a 'non issue' for me.  I find it very disturbing that parents are responsible for raising children and are so racist and so ignorant - and so proud of being that way.

momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Aug. 4, 2013 at 7:44 PM
4 moms liked this

I was surprised by how fast I grew to like and respect some posters, and equally to dislike others.  Also by the variety of experiences here, they always remind me about how my own history shapes my POV.  

lga1965
by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 7:45 PM
1 mom liked this

All of these...

plus, the filthy language that so many Moms use that I never hear in "real life". LOL. Seriously, nobody in my family or friends or people I have known since high school , people we met all over the USA and Germany (we were a USAF family)..... nobody uses filthy words. Wow! Why does it happen at CM ?

I am surprised and shocked at the general lack of respect for teachers and education ,too.

Quoting romalove:

I was shocked at the number of people who reject science.

I was shocked at the number of people who think it's their business what other people do regarding breastfeeding or circumsizing or cosleeping.  

I was shocked at how mean spirited some people were.

onethentwins
by Bronze Member on Aug. 4, 2013 at 7:48 PM

That people think that resorting to taking the door off a teenagers room, is good parenting. That people think that a 13 year old can "choose" to make the adult decision to have sex.  That if a 16 year old becomes pregnant that it's perfectly good parenting to throw her out so that she can be responsible for the choice she made, like babies are a tool for punishment.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN