Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Disabled Man Crawls Off Plane Because It Was Allegedly the Only Option?

Posted by on Aug. 5, 2013 at 8:48 AM
  • 173 Replies

Disabled Man Crawls Off Plane Because It Was Allegedly the Only Option

by Amy Boshnack 

A man is suing Delta Airlines because he claims he had no other option than to crawl off a plane, then down the stairs of the plane to the tarmac, and then over to his waiting wheel chair. Wait! What?

Can you imagine how humiliating that must have been? Baraka Kanaan was flying from Hawaii to Nantucket, Massachusetts to attend a conference and thought he had covered all his bases. He had done his due diligence, making sure to call the airline weeks before his flight to confirm that his disability could be accommodated. And by the way -- he isn't required to call -- he just did to double check! He was told there wouldn't be any problems. But when his first flight got cancelled because of weather -- he rescheduled for the next day. Things went south pretty quick.

Kanaan had been in a car accident in 2000 that left him partially paralyzed. And so he needs a wheelchair to get around. He claims, in his recently filed lawsuit, that not only did he receive no help from the crew but that, unbelievably, he had to do the same thing on the way home!

The official complaint states:

...two days later, Mr. Kanaan's return flight, Flight 4245, was again delayed by defendants, and, when boarding formally began, he was again informed that the necessary safety equipment, an aisle chair and a lift, were unavailable, but that they 'could provide a piece of cardboard to put down so that his clothes wouldn't get dirty...

How nice of them to offer some cardboard so he wouldn't dirty his clothes as he crawled through the aisle. I mean, really, that was the least very least they could do.

What on earth?

Does this surprise you?

by on Aug. 5, 2013 at 8:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sister_Someone
by on Aug. 5, 2013 at 10:14 AM
39 moms liked this

Corporations and assholes who chair them have long ago ceased to surprise me.

What does surprise me and I do find rather hard to believe is that all the other people on the plane watched this unfold and did nothing to help. Why didn't two or three people pick him up carry him to his seat? I'm not even a person who makes a habit out of helping others just because, but you can bet your ass I'd be offering this man my help if I saw that. Granted, I'm tiny and probably wouldn't be able to do much, but I would put all of my 110 pounds into trying.

colins_mom
by Silver Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 10:17 AM
2 moms liked this
im with you.

Quoting Sister_Someone:

What does surprise me and I do find rather hard to believe is that all the other people on the plane watched this unfold and did nothing to help. Why didn't two or three people pick him up carry him to his seat? I'm not even a person who makes a habit out of helping others just because, but you can bet your ass I'd be offering this man my help if I saw that. Granted, I'm tiny and probably wouldn't be able to do much, but I would put all of my 110 pounds into trying.

survivorinohio
by René on Aug. 5, 2013 at 10:32 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Sister_Someone:

This

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

Mrs.Pedro
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 10:33 AM
5 moms liked this
Some people have no decency... It appears a whole plane full of people in this instance. I could not have say idly by while he just crawled around I the ground. I most certainly would have helped, likely by asking others to come help me as I'm a weakling lol... But I'm going to assume that he got off last and that is why nobody came to help him while on the plane... But I'm sure there were probably a few people or at least other workers on the Tarmac who could have helped him.
Piskie
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 10:35 AM
1 mom liked this
People with wheelchairs usually go on and get off last due to the time and space it takes.
This doesn't surprise me. Although it saddens me greatly that people don't give others even the most basic consideration
Woodbabe
by Woodie on Aug. 5, 2013 at 10:39 AM
7 moms liked this

I can't believe the STAFF were allowed to just stand there and watch! I flew yesterday and an elderly lady was in the front row. The stewardess helped her to stand and to move to her wheelchair, but when other passengers tried to offer her assistance she made it clear that it was HER responsibility to assist this lady and they couldn't help her. So that the STAFF of this airplane allowed this man to crawl on and off the plane...THAT is what pisses me off. If there was no machinery then it was their job to assist that man. I'd sue their asses off.

I'm pretty sure this falls under the ADA.

Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!

specialwingz
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 10:54 AM
11 moms liked this

Well, after spending 10 years with a major airline, I can tell you explicitly that "crawling off the plane" was NOT his only option.  I would love to see video proof of his claim.

specialwingz
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 10:58 AM
4 moms liked this

Actually, people in wheelchairs are boarded FIRST so as to get them situated in their seats BEFORE the congestion of other passengers.  They are taken off last for the same reason.  I spent 10 years with a major airline and have taken care of MANY disabled passengers.

Quoting Piskie:

People with wheelchairs usually go on and get off last due to the time and space it takes.
This doesn't surprise me. Although it saddens me greatly that people don't give others even the most basic consideration

masonmomma
by on Aug. 5, 2013 at 10:58 AM
4 moms liked this
I have a hard time believing it went the way he describes. So many people with disabilities fly on a regular basis and this is the first time I've ever heard anything like this. And in such a public place with no witnesses? Something is missing here.
Della529
by Matlock on Aug. 5, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Oh how airlines have changed over the years.  This wouldn't surprise me. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)