Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

School To Use Hair Test To Screen For Student Alcohol Use

Posted by on Aug. 6, 2013 at 8:27 AM
  • 44 Replies

Would you allow this or refuse to have your high school student tested?

link

CHICAGO (CBS) — Students will face mandatory testing for drugs and also alcohol this school year, at one northwest suburban high school.

Concerns about underage drinking prompted St. Viator High School in Arlington Heights to add alcohol to its random drug test policy.

The test will use hair samples to determine whether a student has used alcohol in the past 90 days.

St. Viator administrators say random drug testing of students has been ongoing since 2007, and less than 1 percent have come back positive.

“We’re adding this test because we care about our kids and we want them to be the that best God created them to be,” said Corey Brost, St. Viator President.

“It’s a great vehicle for them to understand that if you’re not going to be accountable to your parents, you’re going to be accountable to somebody,” said Joe Farwell, a parent of a student at St. Viator.

And students say, it may do the job.

“Kids fear getting suspensions from school or detentions even and maybe what their parents will do, if they find out they’re getting caught, so I think it actually will make a difference,” said St. Viator student Miguel Aguilar.

The private school believes it is among the first in Illinois to have a mandatory alcohol testing policy.

A spokesman for the American Civil Liberties Union questions the decision, but concedes in this case that because the school is private, only parents can object to the testing.

School officials said the tests won’t pick up trace levels of alcohol from Communion wine. Two positive tests would result in disciplinary action.

Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!

by on Aug. 6, 2013 at 8:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
muslimah
by on Aug. 6, 2013 at 8:41 AM
5 moms liked this

They are over stepping their boundaries. It is the schools job to teach our children and that is where their job ends. All else is up to the parents.

stormcris
by Christy on Aug. 6, 2013 at 8:46 AM

I think this is a waste of time and effort. I do not agree with it.

romalove
by Roma on Aug. 6, 2013 at 8:48 AM

It's a private school, so they can be so intrusive I guess.

I wouldn't like it.  I would worry about false positives, and the time and money spent on such an endeavor.

TCgirlatheart
by TC on Aug. 6, 2013 at 8:49 AM

The drug testing doesn't bother me, many jobs do that as well.  I"ve never heard of alcohol testing by a job though, so...

However, I would be concerned with how the cost would be handled and how much time it would take up.  

~"Free the child's potential, and you will transform both the child and the world."

Dr. Maria Montessori~

jadedcynic
by NerdyJen on Aug. 6, 2013 at 8:54 AM

I don't mind the drug testing, as long as they are using reliable tests, but the alcohol testing bothers me. Some kids with diabetes can test positive for alcohol if their sugar levels get too high. I wouldn't want my kid falsely accused of alcohol use because of a health care condition.

Since it is a private school, though, the simple option would be to enroll my child elsewhere.

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Aug. 6, 2013 at 8:56 AM

It's a private school so they can test if they like. I would not be ok if this were a public school. I think it is very intrusive.

Suzy_Sunshine
by Silver Member on Aug. 6, 2013 at 9:40 AM

My child would never attend a parochial school so this is not an issue for us. However if, for some reason, he did I would not allow this testing.

prommy
by Silver Member on Aug. 6, 2013 at 10:15 AM
1 mom liked this

My sons friend died in June, he was 16 years old. He had been drinking and came home drunk, his father got angry and grounded him. The boy got mad and ran out of the house, got on his 4 wheeler and took off into the woods  before his dad could stop him. He hit a tree. 24 hours later his heartbroken parents had to make the decision to pull the plug on their child. They didn't know that he'd been drinking for awhile because he went to friends houses and drank there and spent the night, they only figured it out after his death when they read the text messages on his cell phone. Maybe if the school did alcohol testing his parents could have been warned and the reaction wouldn't have been made in a moment of anger but in an informed way so that they could help their son stop drinking alcohol. I've read lots of comments on CM about how it takes a community to raise a child...maybe this is an instance in which that school community could be really helpful.

snookyfritz
by Platinum Member on Aug. 6, 2013 at 10:20 AM

I would be in front of the school board.  No one is going to drug test my child.

c_ramirez8606
by on Aug. 6, 2013 at 10:24 AM

NO NO NO way in hell would I allow a school to do this. They are over stepping.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)