Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Pro-lifers are murdering hypocrites

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2013 at 6:39 PM
  • 56 Replies

You're opinions on this article...

by

Pro-lifers are hypocrites because, contrary to popular thought, criminalizing abortion and actually lowering the abortion rate are not the same thing. According to a global study by the World Health Organization and the Guttmaker Institute, the legal status of abortion has no effect on a country’s abortion rate. The same study found that where abortion is illegal it is an extremely dangerous procedure, which results in the worldwide death of roughly 70,000 women each year. So if you’re pro-life, in the traditional sense, you’re endorsing the senseless death of women, for a policy change that will not lower the abortion rate.

The only things that reduce a nation’s abortion rate are an increase in its overall living standard and a strong commitment to reproductive/contraceptive education. For instance, Uganda is one of the poorest countries in the world, abortion is illegal, and its sex education focuses on abstinence alone. At 54 per 1,000 women of reproductive age, that country subsequently has one of the highest abortion rates in the world. The Netherlands, by contrast, has a much higher living standard, abortion is legal, and the rate is a scant 6 per 1,000 women. The United States’ living standard is generally on par with the Netherlands, and yet the abortion rate is 21 per 1,000—double that of Western Europe.

Why? Well, according to the National Institute of Health, the low Dutch rate can be attributed to their firm commitment to family planning services, and sexual/contraceptive education. Like so many other issues in this country, we’ve been given a false choice. Abortion’s been framed as “pro-choice” vs. “pro-life,” legal vs. illegal, moral vs. immoral, Republican vs. Democrat.

It’s a very emotionally charged debate based on false assumptions. Regardless of your moral convictions on abortion, I think everyone can agree that as a society we want fewer of them. No one likes abortion. But the thing is, that will only happen with smart policies. It will not happen out of moral outrage. It will not happen out of anger and other extreme emotions. It will not happen by threatening women with prison.

Pro-lifers like to think they’re standing on the moral high-ground in this debate. Nothing could be further from the truth. They’re hypocrites, up to their eyes in the blood of women and the fetuses they supposedly want to protect — or they would be, if they ever got their way.

by on Aug. 7, 2013 at 6:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rgba
by Bronze Member on Aug. 7, 2013 at 6:40 PM
Bump for the prolifers...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rgba
by Bronze Member on Aug. 7, 2013 at 6:40 PM
I mean for the prolifers to answer, lol...

Quoting rgba:

Bump for the prolifers...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BlueRay
by Bronze Member on Aug. 7, 2013 at 6:44 PM
1 mom liked this
Bias aside, this has some good points
IhartU
by Gold Member on Aug. 7, 2013 at 6:52 PM
3 moms liked this

I for one am sick of people saying abortion should be illegal but when asked, they have no idea what should be done with all those unwanted children that would be born. They don't seem to want to think about all the child abuse, poverty, murder, suicide and increase in crime and addictions that would cause. I mean what do they want to do? Have lotteries to give away unwanted babies? Stick them all in foster homes? Make them live in work houses? Give away a baby with every purchase of a new car?

They have no long term solutions- all they have is tunnel vision: save the fetus save the fetus! They only care about them until they're born. Most of them are conservative republicans who are against any kind of welfare and hate poor people which IMO makes no friggin sense.

katy_kay08
by on Aug. 7, 2013 at 6:53 PM

murder is a legal term for the act of unlawful killing. 

While I might get the general idea of the author I think the hyperbole only distracts from the intent.  

SandyLaxner
by Bronze Member on Aug. 7, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Quoting IhartU:

I for one am sick of people saying abortion should be illegal but when asked, they have no idea what should be done with all those unwanted children that would be born. They don't seem to want to think about all the child abuse, poverty, murder, suicide and increase in crime and addictions that would cause. I mean what do they want to do? Have lotteries to give away unwanted babies? Stick them all in foster homes? Make them live in work houses? Give away a baby with every purchase of a new car?

They have no long term solutions- all they have is tunnel vision: save the fetus save the fetus! They only care about them until they're born. Most of them are conservative republicans who are against any kind of welfare and hate poor people which IMO makes no friggin sense.

I think that abortion is murder.  being pro life does not immediately follow that I know what to do with all the babies born instead of aborted.  That is ridiculous.  I feel that we have no right to decide what innocent lives or dies. 

DanaG70
by Bronze Member on Aug. 7, 2013 at 7:08 PM
5 moms liked this

Don't forget all of the abortion doctors pro-lifers have killed over the years.

jaxTheMomm
by Platinum Member on Aug. 7, 2013 at 7:15 PM
3 moms liked this

At the heart of the matter - how to reduce abortions - he's right.

But I don't think pro-lifers will ever accept that.  I'm not sure if that makes them hypocrites, rather, so blindly dedicated to their cause that they can't see the forest through the trees.  I've tried to point this out multiple times here to rabid pro-lifers, and they refuse to answer and instead deflect.

Their morals seem to get in the way of what they state is their actual objective, which makes me doubt that objective.

lifeforchrist
by on Aug. 7, 2013 at 7:18 PM
2 moms liked this

senseless death of women? haha right. Maybe they should use their sense before they get pregnant. If the idiot women want to put themselves into danger thats on them.

IhartU
by Gold Member on Aug. 7, 2013 at 7:31 PM
4 moms liked this

Quoting SandyLaxner:

Quoting IhartU:

I think that abortion is murder.  being pro life does not immediately follow that I know what to do with all the babies born instead of aborted.  That is ridiculous.  I feel that we have no right to decide what innocent lives or dies. 

Of course you don't know what to do because you don't care enough to think beyond saving that 'innocent life'.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)