Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

The Side of the Catholic Church Many People Don't Know

Posted by on Aug. 8, 2013 at 8:38 AM
  • 81 Replies
7 moms liked this

A Walk of Hope is planned for Saturday, Oct. 5, in Veterans Park, Hamilton, in honor of 100 years of service and more than 6 million people helped by Catholic Charities, Diocese of Trenton.

TRENTON - A Walk of Hope is planned for Saturday, Oct. 5, in Veterans Park, Hamilton, in honor of 100 years of service and more than 6 million people helped by Catholic Charities, Diocese of Trenton.

There is no entry fee for the walk, which will begin at 10 a.m. Participants are encouraged to register as a team captain or team and to invite friends to sponsor them on their walk - at any amount from $5 to $5,000.

The Walk of Hope will be followed by an afternoon of games and other activities as well as food.

"We hope this community event will raise awareness of our services as well as support so that we can continue well into our second century of alleviating human suffering in central New Jersey," said Nancy Tompkins, development director at Catholic Charities.
   Sponsorships are available.

Employing a staff of 600 and scores of volunteers all sharing the mission of alleviating human suffering, Catholic Charities, Diocese of Trenton, is observing its centennial with events throughout 2013.

For a complete listing of events, visit http://www.cctrenton100.org/.

The centennial website features a video, timeline of milestones in the organization's first century and a calendar of events.

"This is an exciting year for our organization and a time to reflect and give thanks for the more than six million individuals who relied on us for assistance and compassion during the last 100 years," said Executive Director Marlene LaĆ³-Collins. "We hope to inspire others to adopt our mission in any way they can throughout this year and to join us at our community events."

Catholic Charities, Diocese of Trenton, a faith-inspired nonprofit agency, works to alleviate human suffering through a variety of services that include behavioral health care, domestic violence prevention and treatment, help with basic needs, housing assistance, job training and supported employment and addiction treatment.

The organization is recognized by the Chronicle of Philanthropy as one of the most fiscally efficient nonprofits in the country, using less than 10 percent of its revenue for administrative costs.

It was suggested to me by a couple of other mom's on CM that if I feel badly about all of the negative posts surrounding the Catholic Church I should post something positive about it so people can see the other side.  My belief is that this post will get a small number of responses while the posts that are negative will get many more.
by on Aug. 8, 2013 at 8:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kmary
by Member on Aug. 8, 2013 at 8:45 AM
2 moms liked this

Thank you for posting this.  My grandfather (a self-proclaimed "Catholic hater") even said once that one thing Catholics do extremely well is help the suffering.  Catholic relief services are often the first on the scene of major disasters...even before the Red Cross gets there!  But no one hears about it because they don't want or seek praise for the work they do.  Millions of the most destitute people around the world and right here in the United States owe their very survival to the Catholic church.

macbudsmom
by Silver Member on Aug. 8, 2013 at 8:47 AM
2 moms liked this

Catholics rock!

Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Aug. 8, 2013 at 8:57 AM
1 mom liked this

Though I am a lukewarm Catholic at best, I do agree they do a lot of charity work. In my city, they have a lot of agencies to help the poor, addicted, etc.  

Della529
by Matlock on Aug. 8, 2013 at 8:59 AM
3 moms liked this

Catholics do an amazing amount of charity.  That is one of the things I've always loved about the faith.

punky3175
by Punky on Aug. 8, 2013 at 9:03 AM
4 moms liked this
As a pagan, I thank you for posting this. Throughout the day, i try to remember to bump for you because you are correct - it's the negativity everyone is attracted to and encourage while ignoring the positive.
yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Aug. 8, 2013 at 9:14 AM
4 moms liked this

Catholic Charities is probably my favorite charity.  They get a lot done on a thin dime.

The individual Catholic Churches also do a lot.  My old church joined 2 other churches in town to provide a weekly dinner meal for anyone.  We also over the course of a couple of years were able to get fresh water to an African village, they are working on another one now.  The RE children started a vegetable garden each spring volunteers took care of the garden and all the food went to the local soup kitchen and food pantry.  I think it is these little small things that make up the backbone of the giving in this country.  People don't need accolades for doing it, they do it because the want to help.

snookyfritz
by Platinum Member on Aug. 8, 2013 at 9:14 AM
1 mom liked this

There are so many positive aspects of the Catholic Church.  Thanks for showing this.  We are in process, at my parish, of putting together a team to offer youth in our parish more access to other teens in the dioceses for fellowship and charity work. 

We are getting ready for our Faith Formation kick off in a couple of weeks and we are very excited to see what the year brings.

Our monthly free dinner for anyone in the community goes on too.

muslimah
by on Aug. 8, 2013 at 9:17 AM

I hope this event turns out well

prommy
by Silver Member on Aug. 8, 2013 at 9:23 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting snookyfritz:

There are so many positive aspects of the Catholic Church.  Thanks for showing this.  We are in process, at my parish, of putting together a team to offer youth in our parish more access to other teens in the dioceses for fellowship and charity work. 

We are getting ready for our Faith Formation kick off in a couple of weeks and we are very excited to see what the year brings.

Our monthly free dinner for anyone in the community goes on too.

We started a youth program last year, so far it's going well. We have  gotten together in the past and helped to build a house for a family and when my son was diagnosed with leukemia in 2009 (He's doing great now!) they had a car wash to raise money to help us. They raised almost $1,000 and a fellow parishioner who refused to be named matched that amount. These are good people!

snookyfritz
by Platinum Member on Aug. 8, 2013 at 9:29 AM

One of our parishoners donated the land for our local community college to build an extension office on.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)