Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Bigoted Christian Extremists Get Lost At Sea For Months After Leaving US In Protest Of Homosexuality

Pema_Jampa
Yesterday at 4:19 PM
Labrinth - Earthquake ft. Tinie Tempah

The album Electronic Earth is released on 2nd April. Click here to pre-order now! iTunes - http://smarturl.it/LabrinthEE (Standard) http://smarturl.it/Labrin...

Posted by on Aug. 13, 2013 at 3:53 PM
  • 30 Replies
1 mom liked this

Bigoted Christian Extremists Get Lost At Sea For Months After Leaving US In Protest Of Homosexuality

Author August 12, 2013 9:06 am

When the Gastonguay family sailed away from America in May, they believed they were leaving behind a government that supports taxes, abortion, and homosexuality. You see, they’re the kind of Christians who feel persecuted because the government won’t adhere to Biblical law that supposedly outlaws gays and bans a woman’s right to choose. They are also convinced that government controls the churches because being gay and choosing to have an abortion aren’t illegal. So they left the United States in protest and set course for the island of Kiribati, which is between Hawaii and Australia. The family took “a leap of faith” and believed God would answer their prayers to take them to a land where they can practice their extreme and hateful religious beliefs. Well, God responded and it was epic.

The Gastonguay family swiftly got lost at sea and remained that way for 91 days. During that period of time, their vessel was battered again and again by squalls and storms. The only food they had left consisted of honey and juice.

According to Raw Story,

A Canadian cargo ship spotted them and offered them some supplies. But the large ship bumped into the small boat, resulting in even more damage.

With their supplies running low, they were eventually picked up by a Venezuelan fishing vessel that spotted them.

The captain said, ‘Do you know where you’re at? You’re in the middle of nowhere,’” Gastonguay told the Associated Press.

Upon being rescued by the fishing boat, they were transferred to a Japanese cargo ship which arrived in Chile two weeks later. The US Embassy there then arranged for the family to be flown back home to Arizona, presumably on the government’s dime, which wouldn’t be possible without taxes. Taxes also pay the US Coast Guard, which gladly kept relatives informed of where the Gastonguays were and how they were doing. One thing that taxes do not pay for is abortion, all because of the Hyde Amendment which forbids federal tax dollars from being used to fund the procedure.

As for homosexuality and abortion, both are protected by the Constitution. The Constitution, which unlike the Bible is the true law of the land in America, protects the equal rights of all people, even a gay person’s right to get married and be treated fairly. It also protects women’s privacy and personal liberty, thus protecting the right to choose. Also, if the Gastonguays actually paid attention, they would know that churches aren’t controlled by the state due to the fact that there is a wall of separation between the two. Churches aren’t taxed either.

To be sure, the Gastonguay family had a long and eventful journey. But their story makes one wonder why more conservative Christians aren’t following their lead. Surely they would enjoy living in other nations such as Russia, where gays are outlawed. Or Somalia, where government is powerless and guns are everywhere. Or perhaps they’d be much happier in Iran, where women are oppressed and there is a state religion. Or maybe even North Korea, where the poor starve and massive military budgets are the norm.

See a pattern? All of these nations have values that run contrary to our constitutional ideals but fall in line with the ideals of the extremist conservatives of today. America would more than likely be much better off if conservatives sailed away like the Gastonguays to places where they can feel right at home oppressing people and forcing their beliefs on others. Then they can stop bitching about taxes, gays, and women’s rights, and the rest of us can get on with moving this country forward.

Read more: http://www.addictinginfo.org/2013/08/12/christian-bigots-lost-at-sea/#ixzz2bsfPbWVF

by on Aug. 13, 2013 at 3:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
romalove
by Roma on Aug. 13, 2013 at 3:58 PM
2 moms liked this

This story actually made me lol the first time I saw it.

Luvnlogic
by Silver Member on Aug. 13, 2013 at 4:02 PM
So, when it says they relied on god to guide them, does that mean they didn't chart a course or use GPS? That takes some balls, for sure!
JustCJ
by Silver Member on Aug. 13, 2013 at 4:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Ha! I always rely on God when I use my Tom Tom. That sucker gets me lost often..

Quoting Luvnlogic:

So, when it says they relied on god to guide them, does that mean they didn't chart a course or use GPS? That takes some balls, for sure!

SmtmsAlwys
by Member on Aug. 13, 2013 at 4:09 PM
2 moms liked this
Mwahahaha.

Perhaps that was their God's response to their bigotry. Too bad they're probably not listening since it doesn't jibe with what they want.
LiliM
by on Aug. 13, 2013 at 4:09 PM
2 moms liked this
I snickered when I read this. They didn't protest the US government "control" that facilitated their ability to be rescued and sent back home.

As a long time sailor, they should be fucking slapped. To take the family on a Pacific voyage without being prepared. Dumb asses.

Hey, you're welcome, asshats. Ya know, for your terrible government covering the pickle your stupid selves got into.

People who just take off on a water voyage on a whim piss me off. That's one way they die.
Della529
by Matlock on Aug. 13, 2013 at 4:09 PM

I read this in he the Sunday paper.

True. >>>  "wonder why more conservative Christians aren’t following their lead. Surely they would enjoy living in other nations such as Russia, where gays are outlawed. Or Somalia, where government is powerless and guns are everywhere. Or perhaps they’d be much happier in Iran, where women are oppressed and there is a state religion. Or maybe even North Korea, where the poor starve and massive military budgets are the norm....All of these nations have values that run contrary to our constitutional ideals but fall in line with the ideals of the extremist conservatives of today."

JustCJ
by Silver Member on Aug. 13, 2013 at 4:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Well, he did spare them death at the sea...which could have happened. sarcasm

Quoting SmtmsAlwys:

Mwahahaha.

Perhaps that was their God's response to their bigotry. Too bad they're probably not listening since it doesn't jibe with what they want.

Luvnlogic
by Silver Member on Aug. 13, 2013 at 4:14 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't rely on him, but do scream his name quite often when lost. Usually OMG!!!!

Quoting JustCJ:

Ha! I always rely on God when I use my Tom Tom. That sucker gets me lost often..

Quoting Luvnlogic:

JustCJ
by Silver Member on Aug. 13, 2013 at 4:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm pervy to a lot of WTF's!!!!

Quoting Luvnlogic:

I don't rely on him, but do scream his name quite often when lost. Usually OMG!!!!

Quoting JustCJ:

Quoting Luvnlogic:

candlegal
by Judy on Aug. 13, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Hah, what a piece of trash web site.   Some of you that have a problem with the sites I use probably love this one.   

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)