Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Atheist books placed alongside bibles in state park cabins

Posted by on Aug. 15, 2013 at 5:58 AM
  • 293 Replies
2 moms liked this

CARTERSVILLE, Ga. — 

Atheists delivered books of their choosing to Red Mountain State Park cabins after Gov. Nathan Deal approved their presence alongside Bibles.

"One for each bedroom," said Ed Buckner former president of the American Atheists. "Same as the Bibles we're told."

A few months ago, Buckner found nine Bibles in bedrooms at state park cabins. He lodged a complaint and the state temporarily removed Bibles to consider constitutional implications. 

When the governor had them returned, he said other religious texts could be placed in cabins with the Bibles.

"There's always two sides you know: The dark side and the light," said park visitor David Smith. "And the light side always outshines darkness, so there you go."

Buckner said religious books should be in libraries, not parks.

"It promotes hatred of atheists," he said. "There are things it does that I don't think the state should be involved with. But if they're going to be involved, we should at least have some counters to it."

The books delivered are "Skeptically Annotated Bibles" and "Fear Faith Fact Fantasy." The group plans to deliver books called

"Why I am not a Muslim" to another state park next week.

All books have to be reviewed by park management before being distributed in the rooms.

The atheists put a sticker in every book saying it was donated as part of a program developed by Deal.

"I just hope there's enough room to put my miscellaneous change in the drawer," said park visitor Robbie Simmons.

Deal did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the matter.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/atheist-books-placed-alongside-bibles-state-park-c/nZPSY/

by on Aug. 15, 2013 at 5:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mariekay
by on Aug. 15, 2013 at 6:26 AM
5 moms liked this

I guess I don't see the big deal.  If you don't want to read either the Bible or the other publications, then don't read them.  Some may want to read them. 

ETA: I wouldn't have a problem with all such literature being removed from cabins, hotel rooms, etc.  Most people will bring their own literature if they want to read while traveling.  JMO. 

JTROX
by Gold Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 6:43 AM
5 moms liked this

Why do atheists need a book with the Bible?  Atheism is not a religion.  Should any random group of people be allowed to put their propaganda in a hotel room?  That's just weird.

I would understand if it was about putting other religious material alongside the Bible, as to not have the appearance of promoting a govt religion.

romalove
by Roma on Aug. 15, 2013 at 6:47 AM
7 moms liked this

Quoting JTROX:

Why do atheists need a book with the Bible?  Atheism is not a religion.  Should any random group of people be allowed to put their propaganda in a hotel room?  That's just weird.

I would understand if it was about putting other religious material alongside the Bible, as to not have the appearance of promoting a govt religion.

It's anti-religious material, from what I can tell.  A book called "Fear Faith Fact Fantasy" is likely to tell you why your religion is nonsense.

Having said that.....good.  If they insist on having religious material in the government run state park cabins, they run the risk of having an anti-religious balance.  Otherwise, it does appear to be endorsement of religion.

As far as I'm concerned, the Gideons are just as much "any random group of people allowed to put their propaganda in a hotel room" as the atheist group is.  

JTROX
by Gold Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 6:52 AM

But, should these places have to put in any materials people drop off promoting their random thoughts on the matter?

Quoting romalove:

Quoting JTROX:

It's anti-religious material, from what I can tell.  A book called "Fear Faith Fact Fantasy" is likely to tell you why your religion is nonsense.

Having said that.....good.  If they insist on having religious material in the government run state park cabins, they run the risk of having an anti-religious balance.  Otherwise, it does appear to be endorsement of religion.

As far as I'm concerned, the Gideons are just as much "any random group of people allowed to put their propaganda in a hotel room" as the atheist group is.  

stormcris
by Christy on Aug. 15, 2013 at 6:52 AM
4 moms liked this

The position of the absence of a religion is also deemed protected and as such they can place their material to counterweight against religious material in order to protect against a 1st amendment violation. Being without a religion still presents a religious consideration because it states the antithesis to religion. If they were put in alone they too would violate the 1st amendment anti-establishment clause.

Quoting JTROX:

JTROX
by Gold Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 6:54 AM
2 moms liked this

A Bible in a cabin does not establish a govt religion.  

Quoting stormcris:

The position of the absence of a religion is also deemed protected and as such they can place their material to counterweight against religious material in order to protect against a 1st amendment violation. Being without a religion still presents a religious consideration because it states the antithesis to religion. If they were put in alone they too would violate the 1st amendment anti-establishment clause.

Quoting JTROX:

stormcris
by Christy on Aug. 15, 2013 at 6:56 AM
4 moms liked this

In a government owned park in a government owned cabin it does. This would not apply to a random hotel room. The Holiday Inn can still place only bibles if it so chooses.

Quoting JTROX:

A Bible in a cabin does not establish a govt religion.  

Quoting stormcris:

Quoting JTROX:

romalove
by Roma on Aug. 15, 2013 at 6:57 AM
5 moms liked this

Quoting JTROX:

But, should these places have to put in any materials people drop off promoting their random thoughts on the matter?

Quoting romalove:

Quoting JTROX:

If that's a concern, remove the Bibles.

If you keep the Bibles, then yes, you open the door for all the other groups to use the state park cabins to display propaganda.

Your holy book is another person's propaganda.  That's just how it is.  But for the Christians insisting that the Bibles stay where they put them, there would be no counter materials in the rooms.

prommy
by Silver Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 7:07 AM
1 mom liked this

Don't like it, don't read it. It's funny how that works, isn't it?

romalove
by Roma on Aug. 15, 2013 at 7:11 AM
7 moms liked this

Quoting prommy:

Don't like it, don't read it. It's funny how that works, isn't it?

Well, yes.

And no.

Yes, if you don't like it, don't read it.

But that really isn't the issue here.

The issue is, does having Bibles in a state park cabin show endorsement of religion, any religion at all, by the government.

It "can" be seen in that light.  It also opens the door to other groups then being allowed to bring their religious, or anti-religious, or irreligious texts in order for there not to appear an endorsement of any particular religion or religous point of view.

When this story was discussed before, I said I envisioned the possibility of their being so many texts and pamphlets in rooms that there wouldn't be enough room for the traveler's belongings.

A sentiment expressed by someone in the article here.

It would have been easier to remove the Bibles.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)