Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Police Mistake Tomato Plants for Marijuana, Destroy Farm

Posted by on Aug. 15, 2013 at 9:16 AM
  • 41 Replies
1 mom liked this

Police Mistake Tomato Plants for Marijuana, Destroy Farm 

article image

Several residents at the “Garden of Eden” sustainability garden in Arlington, Texas, claim that local police raided their farm because they thought tomato plants were marijuana plants.

The police reportedly damaged the garden's property and the crops during the Aug. 2 raid, which included a SWAT team.

“They came here under the guise that we were doing a drug trafficking, marijuana-growing operation. They destroyed everything,” said garden owner Shellie Smith to WFAA-TV.

Apparently, an undercover officer and a helicopter surveillance crew believed there was probable cause that the wrong kind of plant was being grown in the garden and an armed raid was planned.

“They can’t even tell the difference between tomato plants and a marijuana drug cartel," said farm resident Quinn Eaker to NBC Dallas-Fort Worth. "That’s just really bad intel.”

According to the Garden of Eden's website, the raid lasted for an estimated 10 hours.

However, the City of Arlington stated: “No cultivated marijuana plants were located on the premises. Narcotics detectives and members of the tactical unit cleared the scene within 45 minutes.”

According to reports, police officers removed legally cultivated plants such as blackberries and okra. Police also removed pallets, tires and cardboard that were used for sustainability projects.

Instead of the damage done to the farm, police spokesman Christopher Cook seemed more concerned about the reaction on Facebook against the police.

“That’s what concerns me about their social media allegations," Cook told the Dallas Morning News. "Yes, they were initially handcuffed, however once it was determined it was secure they were taken out of handcuffs. Typically we wouldn’t do that, but they were compliant."

Sources: Dallas Morning News, WFAA-TV, NBC Dallas-Fort Worth, IntoTheGardenofEden.com

by on Aug. 15, 2013 at 9:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Woodbabe
by Woodie on Aug. 15, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Ooh they screwed up! LOL

SyllabaryBisque
by Bronze Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 9:19 AM
Dumbasses..
krysstizzle
by DeepThought on Aug. 15, 2013 at 9:24 AM
3 moms liked this

Jeeeeez. 

That's fucking ridiculous. And gardens/farms are labors of love. Destroying food crops is akin to the gravest sin, imo.

jarkrt
by Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 9:28 AM
Oh, wow lol police failure. I feel bad for the people cuffed. How humiliating.
yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 9:30 AM
2 moms liked this

Oh wow.  I am speechless.  This time of year, in Texas these plants had fruit/vegetables on them.  I didn't realize MJ plants produced big red orbs.

Mrs.Pedro
by Bronze Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 9:33 AM
3 moms liked this
How the hell do you mistake that?! They look nothing alike. I hope they at least pay them for what was destroyed and materials so they can try again next year.
UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 9:36 AM

That is heartbreaking. I'm so sorry for those people :(

bxmom2580
by on Aug. 15, 2013 at 9:38 AM
So how are they going to make it right? They destroyed the crops, the city/state should pay
stormcris
by Christy on Aug. 15, 2013 at 9:39 AM
1 mom liked this

My tomatoes look nothing like that. However, why is it we suddenly now have a change to a previous SCOTUS ruling about what is in plain sight not including what can be viewed from a helicopter.

supercarp
by Silver Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 9:53 AM
2 moms liked this

How can anyone mistake a tomato plant for anything else? The whole plant smells like tomatoes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)