Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

IVF

Posted by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 7:12 AM
  • 32 Replies
1 mom liked this

Question stolen from elsewhere:

They estimate that this new genetic screening technique will cost about $500, down from around $3,000. It would pre-screen embryos for genetic abnormalities and chromosomal integrity prior to implantation, thereby dramatically increasing the odds of having a successful pregnancy and healthy baby. This would reduce cost, miscarriages, and the fear of passing on heritable disorders such as Huntington's - those embryos containing abnormalities would simply not be used.

The controversy: People fear that this is taking us one-step closer to "designer-babies." If we can screen for disorders, what else will we begin screening for? Athletic ability? Height? Etc. 

http://www.ox.ac.uk/media/news_stories/2013/130708.html

MY QUESTION:

Why aren't the anti-choice folks all over IVF the way they are abortion? If they truly believe that personhood begins at conception, lobby against plan B and other forms of emergency contraceptive, then why don't we hear a big stink over IVF, which also results in a lot of embryonic lives being snuffed out?

Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!

by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 7:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
smalltownmom03
by Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 7:17 AM
1 mom liked this
Before the embryos are transfered there is a 0% chance that they will develop completely.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Woodbabe
by Woodie on Aug. 16, 2013 at 7:19 AM
1 mom liked this

Yet according to most pro-lifers, life begins at conception, not implantation. That means sperm meets egg and it begins to divide. So its 'alive'.

Quoting smalltownmom03:

Before the embryos are transfered there is a 0% chance that they will develop completely.

momaof8
by Bronze Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 7:24 AM
1 mom liked this

I was against Ivf for myself for that very reason. Any unused fertilized eggs would be abortion  to me. So we stopped when we reached that point. We adopted instead

mariekay
by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 7:44 AM

I'm against IVF and would choose adoption if I were unable to have biological children. 

smalltownmom03
by Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 7:52 AM
There are some prolifers that are against IVF because of that. Those are usually the ones that are also against birth control. Life does begin at conception. But just because it is alive doesnt mean that it has the potential to fully develope. There are varying degrees of prolife. For some of us the potential for full development has a lot to do with it. If they left the embryos in the dish without implanting them they would die naturally very quickly.

Quoting Woodbabe:

Yet according to most pro-lifers, life begins at conception, not implantation. That means sperm meets egg and it begins to divide. So its 'alive'.

Quoting smalltownmom03:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
smalltownmom03
by Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 7:55 AM
1 mom liked this
Oh and it's scientists that say that life begins at conception. The abortion debate isn't about when life begins. It is about when it is ok to end a life.

Quoting Woodbabe:

Quoting smalltownmom03:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 8:11 AM

I'd like to know, too.  I believe Catholics are against IVF in general.  Although I know Catholic doctors who work in the IVF field.  

There are lots and lots of frozen embryos around, and if people stop paying for their storage, the embryos are destroyed.  Plus, you have to wonder whether people who willingly have multiple embryos implanted in the hope that one or two will take are, at the very least, showing a kind of negligence towards the ones that don't survive.  Certainly you wouldn't allow living siblings to fight to the death for parental resources.  

Not a problem for me, because I am not a personhood occurs at conception type, but I think for those who feel this way, this poses a real ethical problem.  

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Aug. 16, 2013 at 8:58 AM

So you'd be deliberately making embryos just to let them....die. On purpose.

I'm pro-choice, I believe the mother has the final say over her body, but I can understand this being seen as kind of cruel.

Quoting smalltownmom03:

There are some prolifers that are against IVF because of that. Those are usually the ones that are also against birth control. Life does begin at conception. But just because it is alive doesnt mean that it has the potential to fully develope. There are varying degrees of prolife. For some of us the potential for full development has a lot to do with it. If they left the embryos in the dish without implanting them they would die naturally very quickly.

Quoting Woodbabe:

Quoting smalltownmom03:

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Aug. 16, 2013 at 9:01 AM

But that IS the essence of the debate: If science says life begins at conception, pro-lifers use this to be against many forms of birth control. They are adamant about this, why aren't they fighting as hard to ban IVF as they are to ban abortions?

Quoting smalltownmom03:

Oh and it's scientists that say that life begins at conception. The abortion debate isn't about when life begins. It is about when it is ok to end a life.

Quoting Woodbabe:

Quoting smalltownmom03:

Della529
by Matlock on Aug. 16, 2013 at 9:07 AM

Some Catholics are very much against IVF.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN