Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Homosexual activist goes after pro-family group, wants donor list public

Posted by   + Show Post

A homosexual activist is attempting to weaken the National Organization for Marriage and eat away at its donor list. 

Chris Plante, regional director for NOM, describes Fred Karger as "a serial, frivolous case filer" who travelled from California to Iowa to file a campaign finance complaint against the organization.

“This same gentleman, an openly gay activist who fancies himself president of the United States one day, has filed similar complaints in Maine and California,” Plante says. “And at no time has NOM been found guilty of any wrongdoing.”

Plante, Chris (NOM-RI)So Plante considers the complaint harassment or, as he puts it, “a witchhunt.”

“It's an effort to silence people who would stand for marriage in the public square,” says Plante, “who would criticize and critique our politicians and judges who redefine marriage against the will of the people.

The complaint stems from NOM's successful work to oust three activist Iowa Supreme Court justices who legalized homosexual marriage from the bench.

“I spoke with the gentleman who filed the complaint and he was quite honest,” Plante tells OneNewsNow. “He said, My effort is to dry up your funding stream and silence your voice. And he knows that by forcing NOM to reveal donors, which we do not have to do under the law, will certainly scare people from donating.”

The complaint was made to the Iowa Ethics and Campaign Disclosure Board. The executive director and lead counsel for the board was the clerk for one of the unseated judges, and Plante says they are seeking her removal for her very vocal prejudice against the National Organization for Marriage. 

Source
by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 8:19 AM
Replies (11-20):
prommy
by Silver Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 8:49 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

Yeah. You wouldnt want those "gays" to be equal to you...

Quoting blondekosmic15:

The point many who support traditional marriage have been making for yrs. Some gays will not be content with equal rights & benefits.

quote>

“He said, My effort is to dry up your funding stream and silence your voice. 

He  isn't exactly being fair minded either...everyone gets to have their beliefs and support those beliefs. Sometimes It isn't about whether you are for or against something, it's whether or not you believe that everyone has the right to voice their opinion and support that opinionin this country. Trying to shut something down because you don't find it agreeable is tyrannical.

blondekosmic15
Wishing everyone a very happy new year~
Yesterday at 7:08 PM
by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 8:54 AM

Quoting momtoscott:

LOL at anyone characterizing this group as "pro family."  

Of course you will say this. You resent anyone who does not support gay marriage, homosexual acts because they embrace their Christian faith & the moral teachings of Jesus~

blondekosmic15
by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 8:57 AM

Sorry, you do not understand the true nature of loving thy neighbor.

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

Quoting blondekosmic15:

The point many who support traditional marriage have been making for yrs. Some gays will not be content with equal rights & benefits.

quote>

blondekosmic15
by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 9:08 AM

Quoting Della529:

What the Media Say

NY Daily News: NOM is "a shadowy group run by religious fundamentalists is bankrolling a pitched crusade against same-sex marriage in New York." (June 12, 2011)

Wall Street Journal (conservative columnist James Taranto): "If the National Organization for Marriage were a commercial enterprise, its "Let the People Vote" campaign would be a case of deceptive advertising." (July 26, 2011)

The Washington Independent: “Per NOM’s numbers, just two individuals contributed more than $6 million to the organization’s political arm – accounting for about two-thirds of NOM’s 2010 revenue, while single donations below $5,000 covered only 8 percent of reported revenue.” (December 12, 2011)

Huffington Post Politics: "NOM has not just attempted to roll back disclosure laws in the states, it has also purposefully failed to disclose the identities of its donors, often times in violation of the law, triggering state-level investigations, court cases and appeals cases." (August 24, 2011)

Talking Points Memo: "The anti-gay group National Organization for Marriage was caught trying to pass off a picture of a rally for President Obama as that of an anti-gay marriage rally." (October 25, 2011)

Washington Post: "According to the complaint [filed by the Human Rights Campaign], the Ruth Institute is listed as a project of NOM's Education Fund, which is incorporated as a 501(c)3 nonprofit group… Donations to such charities are tax-deductible, but the groups are prohibited from participating in political campaigns. NOM has spent more than $200,000 in an attempt to unseat Sen. Barbara Boxer (D-Calif.), but the Ruth Institute is supposed to steer clear of those efforts." (October 13, 2010)

Hometown Annapolis: "Say you're an interest group that wants to make it seem as if the public is on your side. Just commission a poll, ask the questions a certain way and voilà! You have the poll result you wanted. That's what an anti-gay-marriage group [NOM] has just done."

Sorry Della, the liberal media is extremely bias in their reporting. I take much of what they say with a grain of salt. You bash Conservatives & Christians when they post articles to support personal beliefs & the causes they embrace. Research a powerful tool when you compare & analyze various points of view to seek the truth~

meriana
by Platinum Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Quoting prommy:

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

Quoting blondekosmic15:

quote>

He  isn't exactly being fair minded either...everyone gets to have their beliefs and support those beliefs. Sometimes It isn't about whether you are for or against something, it's whether or not you believe that everyone has the right to voice their opinion and support that opinionin this country. Trying to shut something down because you don't find it agreeable is tyrannical.

Quite a few activists (not just LGBT activists) take the view that those who do not agree with them completely and support their cause through action and/or donation, are hate-filled bigots who must be silenced. It's a sad state of things when having a differing opinion and voicing it gets one labled as hateful. It's also very destructive to the concept and practice of free speech.

lilangilyn
by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 9:20 AM
4 moms liked this

I am all for Plante going after NOM. If NOM were wanting to restrict the rights of women, we would want a bulldog like Plante on our side. We would think he was an heroic activist.

But because the subject is gays and their rights, he suddenly become this awful person trampling on the rights of Christian heterosexuals. If you look back in history, many people felt this same way about Martin Luther King. They believed if minorities had the same rights as whites, then chaos would ensue and they would lose their rights. Hasn't happened yet as far as I can see.

Personally, I would like gay activists to become more militant and agressive by really going after churches, politicians and groups like this that deny them full personhood. Not through violence,but with law suits, demonstrations, and with writing campaigns.

I have many dear friends that are gay. And this might be the real issue. People who don't support gay rights are usually very afraid of what they don't know or understand.

prommy
by Silver Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 9:20 AM

Quoting meriana:

Quoting prommy:

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

Quoting blondekosmic15:

quote>

Quite a few activists (not just LGBT activists) take the view that those who do not agree with them completely and support their cause through action and/or donation, are hate-filled bigots who must be silenced. It's a sad state of things when having a differing opinion and voicing it gets one labled as hateful. It's also very destructive to the concept and practice of free speech.

Agreed!

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 9:25 AM
5 moms liked this

I think donor lists should be public. If donations are free speech you should have to be accountable for them.

momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 9:27 AM
5 moms liked this

I don't resent people like this, although I do pity their rigidity and dislike their hatefulness towards others.  Resent implies envy, and I do not envy people like you.  

Quoting blondekosmic15:

Quoting momtoscott:

LOL at anyone characterizing this group as "pro family."  

Of course you will say this. You resent anyone who does not support gay marriage, homosexual acts because they embrace their Christian faith & the moral teachings of Jesus~

lga1965
by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 9:28 AM
1 mom liked this
Good for you "homosexual activist", I'll help !
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN