Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Paying kids to do chores

Posted by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 12:41 PM
  • 33 Replies

Do you think paying your kids to do chores is teaching them to only 'do good' in return for money? Or do you see it as teaching them that work =  money, a life lesson many are lacking these days?

Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!

by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 12:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jelly.Finch
by Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 12:45 PM
1 mom liked this
We have a mixture of chores that are paid and that aren't. My kids are 3 and 4. They MUST clean up their toys, make their beds, but their clothes in the hamper, and dishes on the counter. Those are not paid. We have a bucket filled with Popsicle sticks that they can pick from to earn "money" (tokens for game time, extra tv time, etc.) those are things like, help fold laundry, pick up chihuahua poop, rinse the dishes, dust.
A lot of things they still need help with, but they already have a firm understanding, for their age, of responsibility.
JakeandEmmasMom
by Platinum Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 12:50 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting Jelly.Finch:

We have a mixture of chores that are paid and that aren't. My kids are 3 and 4. They MUST clean up their toys, make their beds, but their clothes in the hamper, and dishes on the counter. Those are not paid. We have a bucket filled with Popsicle sticks that they can pick from to earn "money" (tokens for game time, extra tv time, etc.) those are things like, help fold laundry, pick up chihuahua poop, rinse the dishes, dust.
A lot of things they still need help with, but they already have a firm understanding, for their age, of responsibility.
This is basically how it works in our house too. This way, they understand that they have certain responsibilities that don't get rewarded, they are just expectations of living responsibly in the family. But they also have to have a way to earn money, because certain things they want, they have to earn the money and pay for it themselves.
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Aug. 16, 2013 at 12:52 PM
2 moms liked this

Depends on the kid and how the overall being paid is presented.

I've never paid the kids in order to have them carry their responsibilities in the home.

Extra or making more of an effort, sure.

I did not want them to think the only positive consequence to doing what you should be doing was monetary.

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 12:53 PM
1 mom liked this

No, but i think it puts the emphasis on money, rather than contributing to the functionality of the home.

Work doesn't actually equal money...there are lots of people who work really hard who don't have any and lots of people who barely work at all with tons of it.

I think chores teach empathy and personal responsibility, virtues we are lacking without a doubt.

SuzCahn
by Bronze Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 12:57 PM

My kids don't get paid for making their beds or cleaning their bathrooms, that sort of stuff.

They earn money for doing extras. Giving the dog a bath, washing my car, organizing the pantry, etc.

Then the money is divided into mason jars they both have. one for tithe, one for savings and one for spending. Eventually we will add a bills jar.

Arroree
by Ruby Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 12:58 PM

I don't believe in paying them to do regular household chores since it teaches a bad lesson, that they should recieve some form of payment for keeping a clean home and picking up after themselves. I've seen that it leaves many young adults having a much harder time not living in a pigsty because they don't have that drive to do it without pay.

I do however agree with paying them to do extras such as helping with garden work or fix-it type work since most people never own a home and it isn't always their responsibility to do that sort of thing. That to me is teaching them that they could/should get paid for work they do.

Just as i would never pay them to babysit a sibling or relative but they will be paid for babysitting anyone elses child.

That's just my feelings on it, i don't judge others for their opinions and choices in this matter.

cindilou13
by Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 1:07 PM

I agree with both of these.  Combination of personal responsibility and expectations but also a way to earn money and understand getting paid for hard work. 

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

Quoting Jelly.Finch:

This is basically how it works in our house too. This way, they understand that they have certain responsibilities that don't get rewarded, they are just expectations of living responsibly in the family. But they also have to have a way to earn money, because certain things they want, they have to earn the money and pay for it themselves.

tanyainmizzou
by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 1:11 PM

I have given my son an allowance that goes in his piggy bank/savings since he was born.

OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 1:12 PM

I don't pay my kids to do chores.  They are contributing members of the household and need to do their part by helping around the house. 

I do pay the older ones if I ask them to watch their little brother for more than an hour or so, or if they're asked to do a project that will take awhile and is out of the norm.

canadianmom1974
by Gold Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 1:21 PM
I do pay my oldest for babysitting his brothers. Not for a quick trip to the store, but if we're going out for the whole evening, or when I have to work, yeah he gets paid for that.

Unfortunately, because he's a boy, there's a stigma against him as a babysitter. And he's great with kids. He is super awesome and patient with my young nieces (maybe less patient with his brothers, but that's par for the course), and would make an awesome babysitter, but most people don't want a boy babysitting their kids.

Quoting Arroree:

I don't believe in paying them to do regular household chores since it teaches a bad lesson, that they should recieve some form of payment for keeping a clean home and picking up after themselves. I've seen that it leaves many young adults having a much harder time not living in a pigsty because they don't have that drive to do it without pay.

I do however agree with paying them to do extras such as helping with garden work or fix-it type work since most people never own a home and it isn't always their responsibility to do that sort of thing. That to me is teaching them that they could/should get paid for work they do.

Just as i would never pay them to babysit a sibling or relative but they will be paid for babysitting anyone elses child.

That's just my feelings on it, i don't judge others for their opinions and choices in this matter.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN