Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Baby Boy Dies After Ingesting Laundry Detergent Pod

Posted by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 3:39 PM
  • 15 Replies


Baby Boy Dies After Ingesting Laundry Detergent Pod

Posted on: 2:49 pm, August 16, 2013, by

(CNN) — A 7-month-old boy died in a Florida hospital after eating a laundry detergent pod, officials confirmed, although they have not said whether the detergent caused the boy’s death.

An investigation into the August 9 death is ongoing, said Terri Durdaller with the Florida Department of Children and Families.

The department has had a “prior history with this family,” Durdaller said, declining to elaborate. The Orlando Sentinel reports the mother and child were in a battered women’s shelter at the time of the incident.

There are no known documented cases of children dying from laundry detergent packets, said Dr. Cynthia Lewis-Younger, medical director for the Florida Poison Information Center.

Lewis-Younger would not confirm the baby, whom the Orlando newspaper identified as Michael Williams, had died as a direct result of consuming the pod.

If the cause of death is ruled as poisoning from the laundry detergent pod, it would be the first of its kind. Nationally, 5,753 children age 5 or younger have been sickened by eating laundry detergent packets so far this year, according to the American Association of Poison Control Centers.

Officials in the United States and the United Kingdom have raised concerns about the detergent packets, saying their color may make them appear to children as candy.

“The death of little Michael is a tragedy,” Durdaller said in an e-mail. “It reminds all of us as parents (about) the dangers of leaving household cleaning supplies around our little ones.

“Unfortunately, on average we lose 20 children each year to accidental poisoning in the state of Florida.”

Durdaller said the medical examiner will make the final determination on the cause of the baby’s death.

By Dorrine Mendoza

CNN

CNN’s Mike Ahlers, Marlena Baldacci and Devon Sayers contributed to this report.

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver


by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 3:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AtiFreeFalls
by Silver Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 3:47 PM
1 mom liked this

 :(

I make my own laundry detergent and household cleaners out of stuff that isn't toxic, but my son has eaten some really scary stuff.  Glass on Christmas eve when he was 1, tempera paint, and once he got ahold of a bottle of gun cleaner.  He didn't get it open, but I was so scared that there could have been some on the lid or leaking from under it that I called poison control anyway.  That number was on my speed dial.  I also called it when my brother was little because he ate lilac flowers.  I knew that the wood was poisonous and called them to make sure he wouldn't die.

Kids are effing scary, and it is SO IMPORTANT to put up anything that could harm them.  So sad :(

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 3:50 PM
1 mom liked this

How in the world did a 7 month old get a detergent pod?

AtiFreeFalls
by Silver Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 3:53 PM
1 mom liked this

 It said they were living at a battered women's shelter.  Which means mom probably didn't have much say in where the detergent was kept, and at 7 months it's possible the baby was mobile.

Quoting pamelax3:

How in the world did a 7 month old get a detergent pod?

 

survivorinohio
by René on Aug. 16, 2013 at 3:54 PM
1 mom liked this

My own children never had a poison scare and when I got my grandson my home was wayyy baby proofed yet he had more scares than I like to think about.  Glass cleaner, and vanilla deoderant were calls I made to poison control and was relieved they said he would be ok each time.  Kids are way scary and some are bound and determined.

Quoting AtiFreeFalls:

 :(

I make my own laundry detergent and household cleaners out of stuff that isn't toxic, but my son has eaten some really scary stuff.  Glass on Christmas eve when he was 1, tempera paint, and once he got ahold of a bottle of gun cleaner.  He didn't get it open, but I was so scared that there could have been some on the lid or leaking from under it that I called poison control anyway.  That number was on my speed dial.  I also called it when my brother was little because he ate lilac flowers.  I knew that the wood was poisonous and called them to make sure he wouldn't die.

Kids are effing scary, and it is SO IMPORTANT to put up anything that could harm them.  So sad :(


How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver


pamelax3
by Gold Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 3:56 PM

 I understand that..I guess my question would be how did the baby get it out of the container? it just does not make sense


Quoting AtiFreeFalls:

 It said they were living at a battered women's shelter.  Which means mom probably didn't have much say in where the detergent was kept, and at 7 months it's possible the baby was mobile.

Quoting pamelax3:

How in the world did a 7 month old get a detergent pod?

 


 

AtiFreeFalls
by Silver Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 4:01 PM

 Yeah, my daughter never ate anything weird.  Dog food off the floor, water out of her bath tub... but not paint and gun cleaner lol.  I'm really careful about where I put stuff, but until you learn the hard way that even little ones can knock stuff down, reach places you didn't expect them to reach and climb to heights you didn't think they could climb you don't know where safe IS.

My heart aches for this mother, who obvioiusly had already been through so much :(

Quoting survivorinohio:

My own children never had a poison scare and when I got my grandson my home was wayyy baby proofed yet he had more scares than I like to think about.  Glass cleaner, and vanilla deoderant were calls I made to poison control and was relieved they said he would be ok each time.  Kids are way scary and some are bound and determined.

Quoting AtiFreeFalls:

 :(

I make my own laundry detergent and household cleaners out of stuff that isn't toxic, but my son has eaten some really scary stuff.  Glass on Christmas eve when he was 1, tempera paint, and once he got ahold of a bottle of gun cleaner.  He didn't get it open, but I was so scared that there could have been some on the lid or leaking from under it that I called poison control anyway.  That number was on my speed dial.  I also called it when my brother was little because he ate lilac flowers.  I knew that the wood was poisonous and called them to make sure he wouldn't die.

Kids are effing scary, and it is SO IMPORTANT to put up anything that could harm them.  So sad :(


 

AtiFreeFalls
by Silver Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 4:02 PM

 The lid might not have been on correctly, it might have fallen and come loose, it might have been dropped behind the washing machine and no one knew it was there and that the baby could reach it...

No one just handed this baby a detergent packet.

Quoting pamelax3:

 I understand that..I guess my question would be how did the baby get it out of the container? it just does not make sense

 

Quoting AtiFreeFalls:

 It said they were living at a battered women's shelter.  Which means mom probably didn't have much say in where the detergent was kept, and at 7 months it's possible the baby was mobile.

Quoting pamelax3:

How in the world did a 7 month old get a detergent pod?

 

 

 

 

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 4:08 PM
1 mom liked this

 True.. It just does not make sense to me, sounds a little strange, that the baby would have the packet long enough for it to kill him, but they are not even sure that is the cause of death


Quoting AtiFreeFalls:

 The lid might not have been on correctly, it might have fallen and come loose, it might have been dropped behind the washing machine and no one knew it was there and that the baby could reach it...

No one just handed this baby a detergent packet.

Quoting pamelax3:

 I understand that..I guess my question would be how did the baby get it out of the container? it just does not make sense

 

Quoting AtiFreeFalls:

 It said they were living at a battered women's shelter.  Which means mom probably didn't have much say in where the detergent was kept, and at 7 months it's possible the baby was mobile.

Quoting pamelax3:

How in the world did a 7 month old get a detergent pod?

 

 

 

 


 

dalbax2
by Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 4:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I think there is more to the story than we are being told.

lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 4:14 PM
My oldest son ate a beetle, being a first time mom it scared the hell out of me. I called poison control and was sobbing. I could almost hear a slight humored tone on the other end of the line and he told me unless I had doused the beetle in bug killer all my son would get was extra protein that day. I earned my grey hair, every strand.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN