Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Bakery Investigated for Refusing to Bake Lesbian Wedding Cake

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2013 at 7:49 AM
  • 325 Replies

The state of Oregon has launched a discrimination investigation against a family bakery owned by Christians who refused to bake a wedding cake for a lesbian couple.

The Bureau of Labor and Industries will investigate whether Sweet Cakes by Melissa violated a 2007 law that protects the rights of gays, lesbians, bisexual and transgender people in employment, housing and public accommodations.

Aaron and Melissa Klein told Fox News they turned down requests to bake cakes for gay weddings because it goes against the Christian faith and their right to religious freedom.

“I believe marriage is between a man and a woman,” Klein said. “I don’t want to help somebody celebrate a commitment to a lifetime of sin.”

The 2007 Oregon law provides an exemption for religious organizations and religious schools but does not allow private business owners to discriminate based on sexual orientation.

Labor Commissioner Brad Avakian told The Oregonian he is committed to a fair and thorough investigation to determine whether the bakery discriminated against the lesbians.

“Everybody is entitled to their own beliefs, but that doesn’t mean that folks have the right to discriminate,” he told the newspaper.

Last January, the bakery made national headlines when it refused to bake a cake for the lesbian couple. The couple eventually filed a discrimination complaint with the labor bureau.

Klein said they have nothing against homosexuals – but because of their religious faith they simply cannot take part in gay wedding events.

Their decision has been costly.

Gay rights groups have launched boycotts and pickets against the family-owned business. The LGBT community has also threatened wedding vendors who do business with the Kleins.

“They’re trying to shut us down and they have completely alienated us from our wedding vendors,” he said. They have killed our business through mob tactics.”

Klein said he’s had to take a fulltime job hauling garbage just to pay the bills and feed his five children.

“Between the LGBT community doing what they’ve done and now what the state is doing, it’s hurt our business,” he told Fox News.

Klein said his family has also been subjected to death threats.

“I’ve gotten almost a dozen death threats,” he said. “They said they hope my kids get sick and die.”

In spite of the violent threats and protests, Klein said they are standing firm.

“We are not called to take the easy way out as Christians,” he said. “We’re called to stand for truth.”

He said what’s happening to their small business should be a warning to other Christians around the country.

“This is a fight that’s been coming for a while,” he said. “Be prepared to take a stand. Hopefully, the church will wake up and understand that we are under attack right now.”

Should the Kleins be found guilty of violating state law, they could face $50,000 in fines and penalties. It would spell the end of Sweet Cakes by Melissa.

“If we lose, I guess the business goes under,” he said. “It’s a small price to pay for standing for truth and traditional marriage.”

Avakian told The Oregonian a guilty verdict would not necessarily mean the end of their business.

“The goal is never to shut down a business,” he said. “The goal is to rehabilitate. For those who do violate the law, we want them to learn from that experience and have a good, successful business in Oregon.”

source

by on Aug. 17, 2013 at 7:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
romalove
by Roma on Aug. 17, 2013 at 7:53 AM
10 moms liked this

Good.  They are a public accommodation and are bound by the anti-discrimination state laws.

Aslen
by Silver Member on Aug. 17, 2013 at 7:59 AM
10 moms liked this

Quoting romalove:

Good.  They are a public accommodation and are bound by the anti-discrimination state laws.

This. Oregon is a state where you can not refuse business based on sexual orientation. Baker broke the law, plain and simple. Instead of "I can't bake your cake because you're gay." he should have said, "Ladies, I'm sorry, I'm totally booked that day and wouldn't have a way to give you the service you deserve." Proves teabaggers=dumb as hell
Aslen
by Silver Member on Aug. 17, 2013 at 8:00 AM
8 moms liked this

Anyone else having pictures of lunch counters in The South run through their heads?

This is the same thing. Wonder how the teabaggers will defend segregation....

romalove
by Roma on Aug. 17, 2013 at 8:02 AM

Quoting Aslen:

Anyone else having pictures of lunch counters in The South run through their heads?

When it comes to religion, they think that trumps everything else.

I think they need to pass a law that states for profit businesses cannot have religious affiliation.

Religion is the purview of people and religious institutions.

-Celestial-
by Pepperlynn on Aug. 17, 2013 at 8:03 AM
1 mom liked this
Aaron and Melissa Klein told Fox News they turned down requests to bake cakes for gay weddings because it goes against the Christian faith and their right to religious freedom.

Im thinking they need to open their bible again and read whats in red..,
Aslen
by Silver Member on Aug. 17, 2013 at 8:05 AM
1 mom liked this

They fail to realize thewir religious beliefs do not supersede state law. THEY brought this lawsuit on themselves. the GLBT community didn't bring it to them

Quoting -Celestial-:

Im thinking they need to open their bible again and read whats in red..,

mariekay
by on Aug. 17, 2013 at 8:05 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Aslen:

I think they need to pass a law that states for profit businesses cannot have religious affiliation.

Passing a law stating that a for-profit business can't have religious affiliation would be a violation of freedom of religion.  For-profits should be able to affiliate with any religion they please.  

romalove
by Roma on Aug. 17, 2013 at 8:07 AM
5 moms liked this

Quoting mariekay:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Aslen:

Passing a law stating that a for-profit business can't have religious affiliation would be a violation of freedom of religion.  For-profits should be able to affiliate with any religion they please.  

How is a business affiliated with a religion?  People believe, a business is not a person.

Furthermore, there is a problem with competing interests in the law.  This Colorado case is a good example.  Their religious beliefs make them think they can discriminate.  Colorado law says they cannot.  They are a public accommodation.

If you put "black" or "Jew" or "women" as the group they wished to discriminate against, would that be OK?

mariekay
by on Aug. 17, 2013 at 8:11 AM
3 moms liked this

Quoting romalove:

Quoting mariekay:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Aslen:

How is a business affiliated with a religion?  People believe, a business is not a person.

Furthermore, there is a problem with competing interests in the law.  This Colorado case is a good example.  Their religious beliefs make them think they can discriminate.  Colorado law says they cannot.  They are a public accommodation.

If you put "black" or "Jew" or "women" as the group they wished to discriminate against, would that be OK?

Plenty of businesses are affiliated with religion.  Take Lifeway Christian Stores, for example.  They shouldn't be forced to sell books or materials on causes they disagree with. 

And I didn't say discrimination is okay; it is not okay.  But it is not discrimination to refuse to make a cake for a lesbian couple when you personally disagree with the homosexual lifestyle.  

I said that businesses should be allowed to refuse service if they wish.  It's about personal freedom and not being forced to cater to causes they disagree with. The government has too much say in how people can run their businesses.  

romalove
by Roma on Aug. 17, 2013 at 8:13 AM
5 moms liked this

Quoting mariekay:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting mariekay:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Aslen:

Plenty of businesses are affiliated with religion.  Take Lifeway Christian Stores, for example.  They shouldn't be forced to sell books or materials on causes they disagree with. 

And I didn't say discrimination is okay; it is not okay.  But it is not discrimination to refuse to make a cake for a lesbian couple when you personally disagree with the homosexual lifestyle.  

I said that businesses should be allowed to refuse service if they wish.  It's about personal freedom and not being forced to cater to causes they disagree with. The government has too much say in how people can run their businesses.  

You are not understanding what the law would mean.

No one would be "forced" to sell that which they don't intend to sell.  A bookstore for Christian books wouldn't have to have a Hustler section, any more than they would be required to open a food counter.

That wouldn't be their business.

But a Christian book store couldn't tell some people they can buy the books they are selling and tell other people they are not permitted to buy those books.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)