Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Are you a Snob on the Highway?

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2013 at 10:44 AM
  • 54 Replies
1 mom liked this

Poll

Question: What kind of car do you drive?

Options:

I drive a BMW

I drive a luxury car but NOT a BMW

I drive a foreign car/truck but it's just "regular"

I drive a car/truck made in the USA but it's just a "regular" car/truck

Other because I do not speak Car and Driver so I am sure I am missing something!

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 82

View Results

Study: BMW drivers are the worst

By Claes Bell · Bankrate.com
Thursday, August 15, 2013
Posted: 5 pm ET

Maybe  "Glengarry Glen Ross" writer David Mamet was onto something when he had Alec Baldwin's abusive and famously foul-mouthed character brag about his "$80,000 BMW."

Turns out there's substantial scientific evidence that BMW drivers are some of the most aggressive and selfish on the road.

car-blog-bmw-320i

A study conducted in 2012 by researchers at the University of California, Berkeley, and the University of Toronto examined driver behavior at a four-way intersection and crosswalk on busy roads in California. Drivers were graded on criteria such as whether they cut in front of other drivers or stopped for pedestrians in a crosswalk.

In general, luxury-car drivers were the least likely to be kind to other drivers and pedestrians, but BMW drivers earned a special mention from Berkeley researcher Paul K. Piff.

"One of the most significant trends was that fancy cars were less likely to stop," Piff told Benjamin Preston of The New York Times. "BMW drivers were the worst."

Maybe that penchant for aggressive driving has something to do with why the BMW 3 Series and BMW 7 Series hold spots on the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety's list of the top 10 models that generate collision insurance losses for car insurance companies.

Those losses are based on the frequency and size of collision insurance claims, and it's important to note, collision insurance only pays out when the driver is at fault, according to the IIHS. According to data from IIHS website, the collision insurance losses on BMW 7 Series are more than twice the average for vehicles nationwide, and BMW 3 Series two-doors are more than three times.

So the next time you're walking or driving down the road, you might want to give any cars with blue and white roundels, and their drivers, a wide berth.

What do you think? Are BMW drivers really the worst? If so, why do you think that is?

Read more: http://www.bankrate.com/financing/cars/study-bmw-drivers-are-the-worst/#ixzz2cEmbXulP
Follow us: @Bankrate on Twitter | Bankrate on Facebook

by on Aug. 17, 2013 at 10:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
viv212
by Gold Member on Aug. 17, 2013 at 11:04 AM
Is Toyota a foreign car because its made in Japan?
viv212
by Gold Member on Aug. 17, 2013 at 11:05 AM
I heard this on the news the other day. They also said people who drive blue Beamers are the most aggressive.
justinnaimee
by Bronze Member on Aug. 17, 2013 at 11:08 AM
I drive a bmw and I'm a very curteous driver. I'm always stopping to let cars in or people cross the road. My only real exception is in construction zones if someone waits til the last second to try and get over. That pisses me off.
Luvnlogic
by Silver Member on Aug. 17, 2013 at 11:14 AM
2 moms liked this
Not a snobby driver, but I am a snobby parker. If there's a beat up or rusted out car next to an open spot, I move right along. Based on they have less to lose from a door ding than I do. *shameful confession*
momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Aug. 17, 2013 at 11:25 AM
1 mom liked this

Audi drivers are the very worst.  At least where I live.  

coolmommy2x
by Silver Member on Aug. 17, 2013 at 11:26 AM
1 mom liked this
This is funny because a year and a half ago when we got our Audi, we noticed that Beemers loved trying to race us. We always let them win because we don't race and because if they felt that insecure that they had to be the fastest, we felt bad for them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
coolmommy2x
by Silver Member on Aug. 17, 2013 at 11:27 AM
1 mom liked this
Haha...I'm an Audi and I just confirmed that BMW drivers are the worst! =)

Quoting momtoscott:

Audi drivers are the very worst.  At least where I live.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
redbutterfly666
by Bronze Member on Aug. 17, 2013 at 11:27 AM
1 mom liked this

i drive a chevy cobalt.....i literally yell at people(while im in my car with my windows up) who drive like a total dumbass,other then that im not really a snobby driver......and iv noticed a lot people who have "fancy" cars drive like shit most of the time and dont give a shit about anyone except themselves

LIMom1105
by Bronze Member on Aug. 17, 2013 at 11:41 AM
2 moms liked this
Most foreign cars are actually made in the USA, but the companies are foreign based. So yes and no.

My husband has been saying this for years about BMWs. Sure enough 90% of the time when we see someone cutting off everyone, speeding outrageously, or ignoring basic traffic courtesies, it's a BMW driver. I think the owners have a sense of entitlement, but they also probably attract an aggressive mentality. I'm sure there are good BMW drivers too, but generally I think this theory holds.

Quoting viv212:

Is Toyota a foreign car because its made in Japan?
stormcris
by Christy on Aug. 17, 2013 at 11:46 AM

I have to say other because I know my entire car, although being made by Ford and Dodge, were not made in the US entirely. They are just regular cars. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)