Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Poll

Question: What kind of car do you drive?

Options:

I drive a BMW

I drive a luxury car but NOT a BMW

I drive a foreign car/truck but it's just "regular"

I drive a car/truck made in the USA but it's just a "regular" car/truck

Other because I do not speak Car and Driver so I am sure I am missing something!

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 82

View Results

Study: BMW drivers are the worst

By Claes Bell · Bankrate.com
Thursday, August 15, 2013
Posted: 5 pm ET

Maybe  "Glengarry Glen Ross" writer David Mamet was onto something when he had Alec Baldwin's abusive and famously foul-mouthed character brag about his "$80,000 BMW."

Turns out there's substantial scientific evidence that BMW drivers are some of the most aggressive and selfish on the road.

car-blog-bmw-320i

A study conducted in 2012 by researchers at the University of California, Berkeley, and the University of Toronto examined driver behavior at a four-way intersection and crosswalk on busy roads in California. Drivers were graded on criteria such as whether they cut in front of other drivers or stopped for pedestrians in a crosswalk.

In general, luxury-car drivers were the least likely to be kind to other drivers and pedestrians, but BMW drivers earned a special mention from Berkeley researcher Paul K. Piff.

"One of the most significant trends was that fancy cars were less likely to stop," Piff told Benjamin Preston of The New York Times. "BMW drivers were the worst."

Maybe that penchant for aggressive driving has something to do with why the BMW 3 Series and BMW 7 Series hold spots on the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety's list of the top 10 models that generate collision insurance losses for car insurance companies.

Those losses are based on the frequency and size of collision insurance claims, and it's important to note, collision insurance only pays out when the driver is at fault, according to the IIHS. According to data from IIHS website, the collision insurance losses on BMW 7 Series are more than twice the average for vehicles nationwide, and BMW 3 Series two-doors are more than three times.

So the next time you're walking or driving down the road, you might want to give any cars with blue and white roundels, and their drivers, a wide berth.

What do you think? Are BMW drivers really the worst? If so, why do you think that is?

Read more: http://www.bankrate.com/financing/cars/study-bmw-drivers-are-the-worst/#ixzz2cEmbXulP
Follow us: @Bankrate on Twitter | Bankrate on Facebook

by on Aug. 17, 2013 at 10:44 AM
Replies (51-54):
OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 12:05 PM

I drive a car from a foreign carmaker that's made in the USA. It does seem to me that people who drive a BMW and Lexus feel they have preferential treatment on the road compared to others. It really irks me.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Aug. 19, 2013 at 12:33 PM

We have 3 foreign made cars, 2 of which are luxury brands, but no BMWs-

mariekay
by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 1:17 PM

I drive a Kia Sedona minivan.  

shanesmom24
by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 3:21 AM

no i am not a road snob lol.  i drive a jeep wrangler :)   and the slightest bit of sun, the top is off.  and unless you are driving a jeep wrangler ( where we do the jeep wave)  i dont notice what people are driving.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured