Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Would this freak you out?(Picture may be disturbing: viewer discretion advised)

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2013 at 1:13 PM
  • 53 Replies

40 pythons found in Canadian hotel room

Little more than a week after a giant python crushed two young Canadian boys to death, police have recovered 40 of the snakes from a hotel room.

Australian Carpet Python hatchlings
40 pythons were discovered in plastic storage bins in a room rented by a couple who were staying at the motel in Brantford, 62 miles south west of Toronto, for just one night Photo: ALAMY

The reptiles were found in several plastic storage bins on Thursday night in a room in Brantford, Ontario, where a couple who had been evicted from their home were staying, police said in a statement.

Officers have opened a probe into the incident but they did not say where the couple were at the time or whether the pair would be charged with breaking local laws that prohibit owning pythons.

The snakes, which ranged in length from 30 centimetres to 1.4 metres, were in poor health and have been taken in by the Canadian Society for the Protection of Animals, where a veterinarian is monitoring them.

The find comes 11 days after Connor and Noah Barthe, aged six and four respectively, died in the eastern town of Campbellton, New Brunswick when an African python escaped from its terrarium and killed them.

The boys had been enjoying a sleepover with a friend, whose father’s private menagerie of exotic animals included the python.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/canada/10249191/40-pythons-found-in-Canadian-hotel-room.html

by on Aug. 17, 2013 at 1:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Aug. 17, 2013 at 1:17 PM
2 moms liked this

Next time when you put out a thread about snakes and use a graphic picture, could you please put a disclaimer or warning in the title. Even seeing pictures of these creatures freaks me out!

stormcris
by Christy on Aug. 17, 2013 at 1:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Sorry. I put it up. 

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

Next time when you put out a thread about snakes and use a graphic picture, could you please put a disclaimer or warning in the title. Even seeing pictures of these creatures freaks me out!

tnmomofive
by Bronze Member on Aug. 17, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Yes elllllllll!!! 

I saw things like this on that show Animal hoarders.

stormcris
by Christy on Aug. 17, 2013 at 1:20 PM

Oh my

Quoting tnmomofive:

Yes elllllllll!!! 

I saw things like this on that show Animal hoarders.

cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Aug. 17, 2013 at 1:24 PM
1 mom liked this

When I first moved into my own apartment after college, one of my neighbors had six pythons in his apartment next door. It always made me nervous. I do not think people should own snakes like that. They are unpredictable wild animals, not cute, fluffy kitties. 

momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Aug. 17, 2013 at 1:26 PM
1 mom liked this

It upsets me because of how poorly the animals were treated.  I hope some can be saved.  Of course, if I was someone working at the motel and found them ... I would need a new pair of pants.   

I have my doubts about the initial python story.  

Della529
by Matlock on Aug. 17, 2013 at 1:28 PM

In plastic totes/bins, no.  Out in the room roaming freely, yes.

PS.  We have a high school - it was built in the mid 20's - where rattle snakes have been found nesting under the building.  They have been removed repeatedly, but keep turning up.  THAT would seriously freak me out!

SilverSterling
by MrsSilverusSnape on Aug. 17, 2013 at 1:28 PM
7 moms liked this

Nagini Had babies!!! Voldemort will be Pleased!!!!

stormcris
by Christy on Aug. 17, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Wow That would concern me if I live near it.

Quoting Della529:

In plastic totes/bins, no.  Out in the room roaming freely, yes.

PS.  We have a high school - it was built in the mid 20's - where rattle snakes have been found nesting under the building.  They have been removed repeatedly, but keep turning up.  THAT would seriously freak me out!

stormcris
by Christy on Aug. 17, 2013 at 1:29 PM

lol

Quoting SilverSterling:

Nagini Had babies!!! Voldemort will be Pleased!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN