Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Should Undocumented Students get In-State Tuition Rates?

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2013 at 7:50 PM
  • 60 Replies

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/local&id=9207677 

Dozens of undocumented students at Wake Technical Community College are pushing for changes to a policy that requires them to pay out-of-state tuition.

The students are forced to pay the out-of-state fees, which are nearly four times the cost of in-state tuition, even if they graduated from a North Carolina high school and have been living in the state for some time.

Five students were arrested at Thursday's protest after repeated warnings to leave the campus. Wake Tech officials said the group didn't file the proper paperwork to protest at the college. The five individuals, ranging in age from 17-27, are all charged with second-degree trespassing.

Meanwhile, undocumented students moved their demonstration to the highway demanding equal tuition rights.

"I think it's discriminatory because they give us the opportunity already to be able to study here. We work really hard," said undocumented student Jose Rico.

Rico is one of the students who was arrested. He has been in community college for five years, lived in North Carolina for 10, and graduated from a North Carolina high school with a 3.9 GPA. Still, Rico is undocumented and forced to pay out-of-state tuition.

"It's almost $4,000 per semester. So I was able to go for like a year and a half. And I have to be taking one class per semester at a time, so it's been a long process for me to go to the next step," Rico said.

Rico said he also received a letter from Wake Tech last spring stating that undocumented students couldn't register for classes until one week after everyone else.

"I couldn't take any math or physics classes because they said it was already a week after, and they said I wasn't going to be able to catch up," Rico said.

Wake Tech President Dr. Stephen Scott said that with record enrollment this year, the college cannot guarantee classes.

"They can register in a more timely fashion, but still the number of people wanting our classes far exceeds our ability to deliver our resources," Scott said.

Federal law also prohibits colleges from granting undocumented students professional licenses and certain financial aid.

Cruz Nunez graduates from high school next year, but fears he won't be able to afford the costly tuition.

"We all have dreams, we have American dreams that we want to pursue, and we just want to fulfill them," Nunez said.

Critics say allowing undocumented students to pay in-state tuition is too costly and tax dollars should not go to support their education. They also say it takes away from U.S. citizens and legal immigrants in a tough economy.

Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!

by on Aug. 17, 2013 at 7:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
pvtjokerus
by Platinum Member on Aug. 17, 2013 at 7:53 PM

Well......no comment at this time....

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Aug. 17, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Why no comment?

Quoting pvtjokerus:

KhloesMom2009
by on Aug. 17, 2013 at 7:57 PM
1 mom liked this

I think that all students who want to educate themselves should get a fair rate, documented or otherwise.

If Jose is such a stellar student he should take measures to get his citizenship, visa or green card.

pvtjokerus
by Platinum Member on Aug. 17, 2013 at 7:58 PM
2 moms liked this

I have to think this one out first before I shoot my mouth off.  Colorado already offers in state fees for illegals while out of state legals really get the screws.  Maybe they should have to pay more than state fees but less than out of state fees if they have a certain GPA.  Still thinking it out.....

Quoting Woodbabe:

Why no comment?

Quoting pvtjokerus:

quickbooksworm
by Silver Member on Aug. 17, 2013 at 7:58 PM
8 moms liked this
No. If they were here legally they'd have to pay the international rate. Stop rewarding criminals FFS.
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Aug. 17, 2013 at 8:05 PM

Honestly, my first reaction is that any one here illegally should have to pay out of state fees.  Why wouldn't they?  They are not legal citizens.

But I realize there is more to this.

I will say, my daughter would have had to pay out of state had she stayed here and immediately began school.  While some one else, who is not a legal citizen, would have had to pay less.   Did not really seem fair at the time.

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Aug. 17, 2013 at 8:07 PM
3 moms liked this

Something tells me this is about kids brought here against their will, raised in this country and have already gone through the public school system. They've graduated and worked hard enough to gain admittance to college/tech school. 

Wouldn't it be better for society if education was affordable? They already do not qualify for most federal aid so they're paying cash up front. Is unemployment and welfare REALLY the better option?

Quoting quickbooksworm:

No. If they were here legally they'd have to pay the international rate. Stop rewarding criminals FFS.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Aug. 17, 2013 at 8:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Woodbabe:

Something tells me this is about kids brought here against their will, raised in this country and have already gone through the public school system. They've graduated and worked hard enough to gain admittance to college/tech school. 

Wouldn't it be better for society if education was affordable? They already do not qualify for most federal aid so they're paying cash up front. Is unemployment and welfare REALLY the better option?

Quoting quickbooksworm:

If this is indeed about those brought here as children, that, to me, is a different story.

However, the price for education, as a whole, should be more obtainable for many.

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Aug. 17, 2013 at 8:11 PM

What if he has already started the application? I mean if he's coughing up out of state tuition then I'm sure the 18 year old has an extra grand in his pocket...

Do you think they should put off their education until they're through the entire process to become a citizen first?

Quoting KhloesMom2009:

I think that all students who want to educate themselves should get a fair rate, documented or otherwise.

If Jose is such a stellar student he should take measures to get his citizenship, visa or green card.

greenie63
by Silver Member on Aug. 17, 2013 at 8:31 PM
3 moms liked this

The Dream Act was passed in Maryland. I think it's only fair, especially if they've graduated from high school in the state they reside in. They also must prove they paid taxes or their guardians for the past three years.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)