Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Pastor explains that daughters should not be taught independence, only to be homemakers

Posted by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 2:24 AM
  • 132 Replies

Pastor explains that daughters should not be taught independence, only to be homemakers

August 16, 2013

Pastor Steven Anderson of the Faithful Word Baptist Church in Tempe, Arizona, explains to us that his daughters will be taught to be homemakers while his sons are taught to be independent. Pastor guy says that sons should be taught independence and daughters should not because he knows stuff.

I’m guessing that he has a Red Phone to God, which is pretty cool.

Sanderson

Starting around the 43.00 mark, Mr. Pastor explains when it’s ok to have sexy time.

Patheos has the dialogue:

I say I’ll teach that unto my sons and you say, well, aren’t you gonna teach that to your daughters? I’m gonna tell you this: It’s not gonna be humanly possible for anyone to commit fornication with my daughters. [Laughter] And you know what? You’re laughing but I’m not kidding… You say, what about when they go get a job? Well, they’re not going to get a job. Why would my daughters go get a job? What do they need a job for? You know what, I’m gonna pay for them, I’m gonna pay their bills. And you know what? When I’m done paying for them, their husband’s gonna pay for them. And I hope that he doesn’t fail in his responsibility to provide and send them off to work or something, but you know what, at that point, it’s none of my business. At that point, it’s not my responsibility. But you know what? When I pass off my daughters unto their husband, I’m gonna be able to guarantee that they’re a virgin because I’m gonna make it to where it’s not even humanly possible. Because I’m not gonna have them out gallivanting around town. I’m not gonna have them going off to work, and going out with all these people…

And you say, what if you don’t like the guy they’re dating? They’re not gonna be dating a guy that I don’t like. A guy that I don’t like is gonna get his face punched in.

So after Pastor guy gets done punching people in the face, he says:

And you say, well why the double standard? Um, ’cause everything in the Bible’s a double standard?! ‘Cause I’m not a feminist?! ‘Cause men and women are different? ‘Cause my sons are gonna be taught to be independent. My daughters are gonna be taught not to be independent. [Fake crying noises] My sons are gonna be taught to go out and work hard and make a living! My daughters are gonna be taught to be a homemaker, okay? You don’t like that? Well, whatever, that’s what the Bible teaches…

And if your parents are no longer alive, it is better for the inept orphaned daughter to be a wandering idiot than to be independent. Amen.

by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 2:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
-Celestial-
by Pepperlynn on Aug. 18, 2013 at 2:25 AM
14 moms liked this

I've already told my 2 girls over and over to be sure to have a career and their own home before committing. Shit happens and I want them to be able to fall back on their own 2 feet. 

autodidact
by Platinum Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 2:38 AM
9 moms liked this

and I'd explain to him that his is precisely the kind of blinkard, philistine pig-ignorance that I warn my children about.

Ziva65
by Gold Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 2:38 AM
4 moms liked this

ugh- here we go again...

I have an uncle that thought that way. His two girls are even in arranged marriages. Arranged by the Mennonite church, ultra conservative sect. Years later, his girls don't speak to him. They were not allowed to go to college, were completely homeschooled, and created a dowry. They even sewed thier own underwear. They seem happy, but honestly they don't even know any different. It is their entire lifestyle, they never knew they had a choice or options, because it was never presented and they never left their community.  Sorry, those days are gone IMO.

It's great to have old fashioned values, and homemaking skills. I have no issue with a girl who wants to be a homemaker, and wants to stay home with her kids. That's totally great, by choice. That said, I think she should always have a means of her own support. They don't have to work, they don't have to contribute to the household income, if they want to- they can. If they are left alone, they can support themselves... oh, I guess he's thinking they will marry the brother like in the Bible?

For my daughter, she knows she wants a career, flexible enough to work or stay home, and high paying enough to take care of herself and a family if she had to. That's what I did...I stayed home for years when my kids were little. If I had to though, I could totally support our family without a husband. (Don't get me wrong, I love him dearly, but I'd be fine without him too...).

autodidact
by Platinum Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 2:58 AM

so it's not his problem if his daughter and grand kids starve due to some deadbeat? as it sounds like he'll be picking their spouse and demanding they be unemployable, it sure as fuck is.

jadedcynic
by NerdyJen on Aug. 18, 2013 at 3:24 AM

Ah, shit, the wacko is close by.

bxmom2580
by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 3:36 AM
12 moms liked this
I have zero respect for religions that promote the oppression of women
stormcris
by Christy on Aug. 18, 2013 at 4:16 AM
3 moms liked this

I can only say I am so thankful that my dad was all about women's rights and Independence. (Well except he was somewhat opinionated about the length of hair on a woman after she married but that is more because he was born in 1917.)

12hellokitty
by Platinum Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 7:29 AM
2 moms liked this

Wonder how many sermons the friendly atheists listens to in order to find this stuff?  

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 7:32 AM
1 mom liked this
This is pretty much the polar opposite of what I teach my DD. And my DS too for that matter.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 7:33 AM
3 moms liked this

It's the kind of thing I heard, in person, frequently, when I was growing up.  As in, many, many a Sunday at my fundamentalist church.  There are more people out there with this mindset than you want to believe.  It is not at all difficult to find.  

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Wonder how many sermons the friendly atheists listens to in order to find this stuff?  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN