Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

s/o of sorts Freewill

Posted by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 6:16 AM
  • 28 Replies
1 mom liked this

If you believe in freewill, how would it affect your thinking to learn it was false?

Do you think it would benefit humanity to know there was no such thing as freewill?

by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 6:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
punky3175
by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 6:20 AM
4 moms liked this
I think if I learned there was no such thing as free will I might just give up. What would be the point in striving to be better if everything was already laid out ahead of time and nothing you did could change it? I think humanity as a whole would get worse. Free will gives us hope and without hope people lose their drive to succeed.

Very interesting question. Can't wait to see how it develops.'
smartin27284
by Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 6:28 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't think it is possible to disprove free will/ If there was no such thing as free will, I think it would be a detriment ot humanity.

stormcris
by Christy on Aug. 18, 2013 at 6:36 AM

Do you think that in order to have freewill we must make concious decisions? Just curious as it is a point of contention with the idea of freewill.

Quoting smartin27284:

I don't think it is possible to disprove free will/ If there was no such thing as free will, I think it would be a detriment ot humanity.

smartin27284
by Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 6:40 AM
1 mom liked this

I believe that is the whole basis for free will.

Quoting stormcris:

Do you think that in order to have freewill we must make concious decisions? Just curious as it is a point of contention with the idea of freewill.

Quoting smartin27284:

12hellokitty
by Ruby Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 7:22 AM

How are you defining freewill?

stormcris
by Christy on Aug. 18, 2013 at 7:25 AM

Freedom of humans to make choices that are not defined by prior causes or devine intervention.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

12hellokitty
by Ruby Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 7:35 AM
What prior causes?
Quoting stormcris:

Freedom of humans to make choices that are not defined by prior causes or devine intervention.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

stormcris
by Christy on Aug. 18, 2013 at 7:40 AM

Forces that are outside our control.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

What prior causes?
Quoting stormcris:

Quoting 12hellokitty:

momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 7:56 AM
1 mom liked this

Nice topic, I look forward to seeing how it plays out!

There's a lot of interesting scientific research about how the decisions we make are influenced by factors beyond (or beneath) our conscious control.  

I don't think that free will and an omnipotent and benevolent creator go together, but I don't believe in such so I don't have to do the moral gymnastics to get around this problem.  It doesn't bother me or affect how I live my life:  I will still use my brain and what information I have on hand to decide whether I will have toast and coffee or toast and tea for breakfast and consider that a decision that "I" made, for practical purposes.  

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Aug. 18, 2013 at 8:07 AM
3 moms liked this

I see us more like ants running around seemingly in randomness but with a specific purpose.

So freewill gives us the motivation to create our own paths...but in the end our purpose is menial and death is imminent.

I couldnt live with knowing that freewill didnt exist and that we are just tiny little beings being played on a universe sized chess board.  

On the other hand lying in bed and eating whatever I wanted and die from pleasure isnt such a bad thing :-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN