Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Reality Of Who Actually Works For Minimum Wage Will Shock You

Posted by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 10:13 AM
  • 245 Replies
4 moms liked this

The Reality Of Who Actually Works For Minimum Wage Will Shock You

If you add up the totals in these charts, 75% of minimum wage earners are adults. Let that sink in for a minute. 70% have at least a high school degree, and some have had at least a year or two of college.
Take a look at the size of the big blue slice in the first pie chart — that represents adult women who are working for minimum wage, almost half of the total. This is why raising the minimum wage would make a huge difference for tons of families, especially those in which women are the primary breadwinners or single moms.

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 10:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
survivorinohio
by René on Aug. 18, 2013 at 10:17 AM

Adult women are 45% of the min wage workers! 

RandRMomma
by Maya on Aug. 18, 2013 at 10:22 AM
Oh wow! I didn't know that.
Della529
by Matlock on Aug. 18, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Interesting.

randi1978
by Bronze Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 10:34 AM
25 moms liked this

Sadly, I'm sure some will come in here and say they should have planned better, yada yada yada.....but the truth is that even if they have degrees or had some level of meaningful employment at one time, once you take time off to care for a family and something happens that puts you back into the workforce, your options are limited.  And a degree doesn't mean good job either.  While I am sure there are those who are in min wage jobs due to poor planning on their part, it certainly doesn't mean it's the group as a whole.

I think the other issue is that men often have a better chance at the higher paying job, even if he has a family and children (even single fathers), but a woman is seen as a risk and unable to dedicate herself fully to a job due to having children, even if married.  And a single mother sometimes had the odds stacked even higher against her for the same reasons.  Min wage jobs are often the only ones that offer some flexibility, but the costs of that is low pay and erratic hours.

meriana
by Gold Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 10:34 AM
4 moms liked this

Doesn't really surprise me what with so many of what were good paying jobs having been moved off-shore.

PestPatti
by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 10:39 AM
1 mom liked this

I have been saying minumum wage isn't reserved for those 1rst time employees, its just the LEAST the state allows an employer to pay.  

I work in Medical Billing, and there are women in my company who make minimum or just a little above that.  

ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 11:00 AM

I agree with this, especially the part about taking time off to care for your family hurting you in the job market, and the fact that women seem to need jobs that offer more flexibility, or part-time hours. Unfortunately, those jobs tend to pay quite a bit less.

Quoting randi1978:

Sadly, I'm sure some will come in here and say they should have planned better, yada yada yada.....but the truth is that even if they have degrees or had some level of meaningful employment at one time, once you take time off to care for a family and something happens that puts you back into the workforce, your options are limited.  And a degree doesn't mean good job either.  While I am sure there are those who are in min wage jobs due to poor planning on their part, it certainly doesn't mean it's the group as a whole.

I think the other issue is that men often have a better chance at the higher paying job, even if he has a family and children (even single fathers), but a woman is seen as a risk and unable to dedicate herself fully to a job due to having children, even if married.  And a single mother sometimes had the odds stacked even higher against her for the same reasons.  Min wage jobs are often the only ones that offer some flexibility, but the costs of that is low pay and erratic hours.

randi1978
by Bronze Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 11:08 AM
2 moms liked this

Exactly.  I was out of the work force for just under 2 yrs and I literally had to start from the bottom after splitting with my now ex husband.  It's been almost 7 yrs and we are finally at a comfortable spot in life.  Decent job with good pay, solid hours (8 - 5 Mon through Fri) and they are extremely generous when you need to take time off for kid related stuff.  But it was 7 yrs of struggle through various low to mid wage jobs and on and off public assistance.

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

I agree with this, especially the part about taking time off to care for your family hurting you in the job market, and the fact that women seem to need jobs that offer more flexibility, or part-time hours. Unfortunately, those jobs tend to pay quite a bit less.

Quoting randi1978:

romalove
by Roma on Aug. 18, 2013 at 11:09 AM
1 mom liked this

Most of those people are working part time jobs.  Many women are not working full time because of family restrictions.  Also, in many places in America, minimum wage is worth more than in other places.  Where I live, in NJ, it's pocket change in terms of spending power.  In places in the South and Midwest, it can be worth much more.

I know when I visit Mom Confessions group and they have threads on how much people make and how much they live on, a lot of people can live on minimum wage or a bit more.  A lot of them have a full time earner and a part time earner, supplementing.

I think minimum wage needs to be indexed by state, and not across the board the same in the country.

randi1978
by Bronze Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 11:13 AM

That's another great point.  The cost of living varies state to state and county to county.  Min wage holds well in some areas, but wouldn't get you a box in an alley somewhere else.

When I was still married, we lived in North Carolina.  Charlotte area.  Ex tool was making $8.50 a hour and everyone gushed about how great that pay was.  Here in WA, where we came from, that is less than min wage here and wouldn't be enough to be able to rent a studio unless you wanted to live in a place where you had one eye open every night.

Quoting romalove:

Most of those people are working part time jobs.  Many women are not working full time because of family restrictions.  Also, in many places in America, minimum wage is worth more than in other places.  Where I live, in NJ, it's pocket change in terms of spending power.  In places in the South and Midwest, it can be worth much more.

I know when I visit Mom Confessions group and they have threads on how much people make and how much they live on, a lot of people can live on minimum wage or a bit more.  A lot of them have a full time earner and a part time earner, supplementing.

I think minimum wage needs to be indexed by state, and not across the board the same in the country.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured