Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

The Reality Of Who Actually Works For Minimum Wage Will Shock You

The Reality Of Who Actually Works For Minimum Wage Will Shock You

If you add up the totals in these charts, 75% of minimum wage earners are adults. Let that sink in for a minute. 70% have at least a high school degree, and some have had at least a year or two of college.
Take a look at the size of the big blue slice in the first pie chart — that represents adult women who are working for minimum wage, almost half of the total. This is why raising the minimum wage would make a huge difference for tons of families, especially those in which women are the primary breadwinners or single moms.

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 10:13 AM
Replies (241-245):
luckystars2012
by Silver Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 4:09 PM
That's great for her. That doesn't mean that the average Applebee's worker should make that much.

Most positions have a cap in wages, especially waitressing jobs. If you want a job where you can move up the corporate ladder, get an education.

And no, it's not a guarantee, but it's better than being Susie welfare and guaranteeing you will always be poor because you couldn't be bothered to put in some effort.

Quoting survivorinohio:

My DIL is a fine dining waitress and she makes between 300 and 500 weekly for about 25-30 hours work Thats her hourly + tips.

If suzie shows up and does what is expected of her then suzie should be eligible for raises and promotions.

College and or skill sets are not guarantees.  Plenty of people long established in carreers have found themselve looking at minimum wage in recent yrs.

Quoting luckystars2012:

No, I do not think jobs like Walmart, waitressing, etc are worth more than minimum wage. And yes I have done those types of jobs.

An employer should have to pay for the work being done. NOT "how many kids she popped out and needs to feed".

If an adult wants to earn a livable wage, they should go to college and/or obtain the skills for a job that is worth a livable wage.

Susie welfare and her three kids aren't going to be sustained by her job at McDonald's, and it's not McDonald's job to say "oh ms welfare has three kids we need to pay her more".

Raising the minimum wage to what you could call a "livable wage" would be devastating to our economy and cause more people to be out of work.

I just checked monster.com

There are about 150 jobs from the past two weeks that pay above 15$ an hour just in our county-IF you have the skills and qualifications they need. Susie won't make the cut.

Quoting survivorinohio:

Ode to the days of the sweat shop when the greedy owners only had to pay what they thought a person was worth ie not much.

I do take issue with people who do not think people work is worthy of a living wage.  Unl;ess you are part time and in school you should be able to live IMO.

If you dont want poor kids begging in the streets and shanty towns and the like then people need to make a living wage.  I think its ridiculous that any adult doing whats required of them in a position is considered unworthy of livable wages.

I feel like I talk to Scarlet Ohara before the war on here lol.

You dont think people who get up and go to work on time are worthy of making a living wage.  Slavery is better huh?

Quoting luckystars2012:

Im talking about people who wAnt/expect things they did not earn.

A woman who never went to college, had thee kids before she was 25, has no job skills or anything that makes her worth more than minimum wage-yet she feels she should be able to make more than what she has earned, and if she can't earn it she will get t through welfare.

People who piss and moan about their poor standing in life and yet they have not done what it takes to hold a better job than the one they have.

The common belief by those people that it is everyone's fault but there's for the situation they are in.

That sense of entitlement, expectation of deserving more than you have earned, and blaming others when you don't get it. That is what really scares me.

Quoting survivorinohio:

Anyone who has job in this market is like "working for what they earn"  I cant imagine so many slackers are holding their jobs now, in this climate.

If you cant understand the dangers of the trends that began 30 yrs ago or so then I dont know what to say.  The margin will grow and you will feel it eventually, your kids will feel it for sure.  We need to fix it.  These holders of wealth need to be responsible in how they make and build their money and they need to be accountable for it when its not above board.

When Ceos allow companies to fail they should not reap rewards in the multi millions, its obscene.

America has always been a producer, as this trend has occurred we have also been reducing our production due to off shore ventures etc.  When the ability to consume is affected adversely enough but this trend perhaps the reality of it all will sink in.

Quoting luckystars2012:

Anytime people want things they do not work for it should piss all hardworking people off.

I do not begrudge the top earners what they have earned. Wy would they not have a right to what they have built?

Quoting survivorinohio:

For me its about 80 % of the people clambering for their share of 20% of the wealth.  It isnt so personal for me.  Some things are bigger than the individuals and in my world view thats how I see it.

Then we have the true value of our "wealth" on the world market and that becomes even more troublesome for the future.

There is a sense of entitlement on both sides of this thats equally destructive, you just choose to see the side that pisses you off while embracing your own sense of entitlement that gives you the self percieved right to make assumptions and judgements of others.

Quoting luckystars2012:

The top earners in this country do not concern me. What concerns me is the sense of entitlement and the "it's everyone else's fault" that runs so rampant through this country.

Quoting survivorinohio:

I am not jealous or angry either.  I am concerned for my grandchildren.

Quoting luckystars2012:

If I wanted to, yes I believe I could.

My ambition has always been to provide a better life for my kids, to ensure that they will go to college without debt and be able to build the careers they want. To keep my family self sufficient and off welfare.

I am not jealous or angry at the top earners in our country for what they have. Imo that attitude is just sour grapes and people wanting to blame someone else for their troubles.

Quoting survivorinohio:

Do you believe you have the drive to climb into the top 1%? The opportunities? You should think about what their actions mean for the rest of us, you included.

Quoting luckystars2012:

AmaraG
by Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 4:11 PM
Not really surprising, considering the minimum wage is so high no one can afford to pay much more than minimum to people with degrees.
viv212
by Gold Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 5:21 PM
Very nice. I want to say you're lucky but I know you won't agree so I will say... Very, very nice. You sound talented :) and good for you :)

Quoting luckystars2012:

It varies.  I mostly work from my home office or meeting with clients in their homes.  Sometimes that adds up to 20 hours a week, sometimes its 60-70.

There are others who work similar hours but its all about production.  I'm one of the top 20 reps in our company, out of about 5000.  

In short-my boss loves me because I make him and the company oodles of money.

Quoting viv212:

I think my boss will beg my supervisor to come back but it's because not only is the supervisor a major kiss ass but because she also puts in at least 70 hours a week. Do you put in that kind of time also, or do you strictly do the 8-5?

Quoting luckystars2012:

The reason women find themselves in that position is usually because they do not plan well enough.

My dd and ss are 6 and 9. I waited this long to have another baby because kids are expensive.

I'm not paying thousands for daycare. I pay a couple hundred a month for after school care a few days a week for the two oldest.

When my baby is born in November, I will have 3-6 months of fully paid maternity leave with a guarantee that my job will be waiting for me. Why? Because I've spent the last several years making myself indispensable to my company. They want me to return to my job. The first thing my boss said when I told him I was pregnant was "please don't quit. We need you".

I won't be paying thousands for daycare when I return to work. I will pay a fair chunk for the infant, probably around 350-400. Plus 150 or so for after school care for the two older ones.

Out of a six figure income, it's very doable.

I wanted another baby three years ago. So bad I could feel it in my arms. I ached for it. But I waited because I knew that having plenty in savings, a solid career, and my dd in school would make it a million times easier.

Better choices and better planning make a big difference.

Quoting stacymomof2:

The real issue is not just women.  The real issue is that women do the work of raising families by a vast majority and they pay the price.  Not all women had babies when they were young and uneducated and if they did well now what?  The baby is here now.  If we as a society value families and children then something has to change.

Even women who have good jobs and are college educated can't get time off without paying for it with their career.  It has everything to do with the value this country places on children and families.  Ours is the ONLY rich country who doesn't offer paid time and other guarantees to help women have children without giving up a career.

Even a woman with a good career and education would be severely restricted in even having two kids.  What kind of salary do you have to earn to be able to pay thousands a month in daycare?  Of course many women faced with this have chosen to take a break until kids are in school and what do you think that does for their career?  There are a lot of women in my position...college educated, waited to get married, waited to have kids, and are barely earning a few hundred a month after daycare costs just to hang onto a job so there will be something there after the kids go to school.  And they (like me) still pay the price by being less available and flexible than other employees.  I haven't taken sick day in years due to my kids being sick and having to stay home with them.  If it's just me, well then I have to go.

coronado25
by Silver Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 5:28 PM
For everyone that thinks people working in science are paid big bucks, entry level lab positions and field positions are mosyly all minimum wage. I worked running pcr and making dna standards and breeding transgenic animals...minimum wage to start folks and no benefits unless you are full time...hate it when people squeal and fuss about biotech saying everyone gets paid big bucks and is in cahoots with some global evil plan....
OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 5:48 PM

The entry level techs where I work and in my previous place of employment were all paid more than minimum wage to start. 

***shrugs***

Quoting coronado25:

For everyone that thinks people working in science are paid big bucks, entry level lab positions and field positions are mosyly all minimum wage. I worked running pcr and making dna standards and breeding transgenic animals...minimum wage to start folks and no benefits unless you are full time...hate it when people squeal and fuss about biotech saying everyone gets paid big bucks and is in cahoots with some global evil plan....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)