Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Homeless Couple Shot By Sheriff Deputies Awarded $4.1 Million (VIDEO)

Posted by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 4:49 PM
  • 7 Replies

An LA couple has gone from being homeless to being millionaires, after the man and woman, who were innocent, were shot over 15 times by LA sheriff's deputies.

Angel Mendez and his then-fiance, Jennifer, were sleeping in a shack on a friend's property in Lancaster, Calif. when deputies barged in looking for a parolee in October 2010, KTLA reports in the video above.

Deputies said they saw a BB gun and began shooting.

Angel was shot 14 times and Jennifer, who was pregnant, was shot once in the back and had a graze wound to her hand, the Los Angeles Times reports. Angel had to have part of his leg amputated.

“I kept screaming for them to ‘stop shooting, stop shooting, my fiance is pregnant, it’s just a BB gun,’” Angel said.

The couple was awarded $4.1 million when a judge ruled their civil rights were violated. The deputies involved were cleared of any wrongdoing in an internal investigation.

video

by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 4:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Aug. 18, 2013 at 4:52 PM
4 moms liked this

Good.

Of course the deputies were cleared of any wrong doing.

It is the LAPD, after all.

Some of the money awarded to these people should have to come from their paychecks.

Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 5:41 PM
I'm glad they were compensated. An it's a shame the officers weren't reprimanded.
Della529
by Matlock on Aug. 18, 2013 at 6:19 PM

I wonder how police handled these types of things three, four, five or ten decades ago.

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Aug. 18, 2013 at 6:30 PM

Quoting Della529:

I wonder how police handled these types of things three, four, five or ten decades ago.

Did an oopsy and turned up to work the next day.

Della529
by Matlock on Aug. 18, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Quoting turtle68:

Quoting Della529:

All without the BILLIONS of dollars we spend today.  I am appalled that my local sheriffs office obtained "patriot act" funds to purchase a high-faulutin skid-steer, instead of using that funding for preventative  or other measures.  Entirely too many police departments in this country are becoming too militaristic.

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Aug. 18, 2013 at 7:57 PM

Quoting Della529:

Quoting turtle68:

Quoting Della529:

All without the BILLIONS of dollars we spend today.  I am appalled that my local sheriffs office obtained "patriot act" funds to purchase a high-faulutin skid-steer, instead of using that funding for preventative  or other measures.  Entirely too many police departments in this country are becoming too militaristic.

It seems to me that the US police force act on defense first and preventative second.  

Shoot first ask questions later.....for ALL situations.  I dont know if they are trained to do this or whether they arent trained enough and fear and self protection kicks in in the heat of the moment?

It appears that more time is spent on explaining and covering up their actions.

RandRMomma
by Maya on Aug. 18, 2013 at 8:02 PM
This.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Good.

Of course the deputies were cleared of any wrong doing.

It is the LAPD, after all.

Some of the money awarded to these people should have to come from their paychecks.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)