Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Regal Cinemas Majestic Stadium's Screening Of 'The Butler' Causes Controversy With Reported Police Presence

Posted by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 5:03 PM
  • 213 Replies
1 mom liked this

Regal Cinemas Majestic Stadium's Screening Of 'The Butler' Causes Controversy With Reported Police Presence

Regal Cinemas Majestic Stadium the butler
Police were present at a screening of "The Butler."

The Regal Cinemas Majestic Stadium movie theater in Silver Spring, Md. is in hot water after reports that the theater ordered an abnormally heavy level of police presence at a weekend screening of "Lee Daniels' The Butler."

A woman named Tiffany Flowers took to Twitter on Sunday to express her "utter disgust" at the treatment of movie-goers and to speak out against the police activity that seemed to be confined to the showing of "The Butler." She explained that the movie theater required patrons' tickets to be checked twice before they were allowed to enter the theater, where they were then met by a police officer who was directing their moves.

Flowers went on to add that armed guards faced the crowd as the movie played, before insinuating that the security choice was made because the movie drew a largely black crowd. "The almost entirely black audience of 'The Butler' was subjected to watching the film while armed guards faced the audience," Flowers wrote on Twitter. "Why?"

"Lee Daniels' The Butler," which tells the story of former White House butler Eugene Allen, performed well at the box office this weekend. The star-studded film brought in $25 million at 2,933 theaters.

While representatives at the Regal Cinemas Majestic Stadium did not deny the incident in a phone call with HuffPost Entertainment, they would not give an official comment on the police presence. Calls to Regal Entertainment Group were not immediately returned.

More Tweets below

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/18/regal-cinemas-majestic-stadium-the-butler-police-presence_n_3776893.html

by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 5:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 5:11 PM
I really liked the movie, saw it in Denver but no police and I didn't really notice the majority color of the crowd.
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Aug. 18, 2013 at 5:14 PM
3 moms liked this

I am looking forward to seeing this movie.

There is no reason to have such a police presence.  I would have been livid, if not offended, at the suggestion.

Mommabearbergh
by Gold Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 5:15 PM
5 moms liked this
Wth its a movie and having armed guards at a movie is ridiculous because the crowd is black. It's ridiculous in general
JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Aug. 18, 2013 at 5:20 PM
4 moms liked this
And had something happened the cry would have been - where were the police?

Shut up.
sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 5:21 PM
1 mom liked this

'This Week' Sunday Spotlight: Bill Hamilton's 55 Years in the White House

Play video

ABC News
Anja Crowder 2 hours ago Politics & GovernmentWhite House

Opening this weekend, 'Lee Daniels' The Butler' chronicles the life of late White House butler Eugene Allen through his decades of service in the White House.

Former White House storeroom manager Bill Hamilton has had an equally impressive run at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave., spending the last 55 years there before his retirement earlier this summer, making him the longest serving White House staff member ever.

In an interview for "This Week," Hamilton said the first rule for a White House staff member is to check your politics at the door.

"When a president comes in, it doesn't make a difference whether he's Democrat or Republican, you're there for the president," Hamilton told ABC News' Reena Ninan.

Hamilton joined the White House staff at the age of 20, going on to serve 11 presidents from Eisenhower to Obama over the last half-century.

"It was being part of history," Hamilton says. "Nixon resigned from the presidency, that was a hard time and I didn't think I would be there when the President [Kennedy] was assassinated... and to get the first black president I didn't think that would ever happen in my lifetime."

abc bill hamilton mi 130816 16x9 608 This Week Sunday Spotlight: Bill Hamiltons 55 Years in the White House

Hamilton explained what it was like being a black man in the White House during the civil rights movement.

"Even where there was the March on Washington and Martin Luther King, I was the only one who went out. No one would go out. They said, 'We can't go out there, you're going to lose your job. I said, you won't lose your job... I went out to listen to him speak... it was really very thrilling."

While the fight for civil rights waged on in the streets of Washington, Hamilton says the White House was not immune to the symptoms of racial prejudice and inequality.

"Oh, it was very hard," says Hamilton. "They were promoting other people, but weren't promoting blacks."

But Hamilton did stand up for his fellow White House staff members to gain one measure of equality, delivering the Johnson White House an ultimatum - either the black staff members would receive more pay or they wouldn't work at an upcoming state dinner.

"We're not going to work the state dinner. This is the only way we're going to get a raise," Hamilton said. "Two days later we had our raise."

After witnessing decades of history from the White House before his retirement, one thing remains that Hamilton says he wishes he had seen: the first woman president.

"If Mrs. Clinton was to win, I would say I wish I was still working there," Hamilton says.

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 5:21 PM
5 moms liked this

Why would something happen

shut up

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

Shut up.

JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Aug. 18, 2013 at 5:24 PM
2 moms liked this
Why wouldn't it? Ask the people who own the theater. Apparently they thought it was necessary.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Why would something happen

shut up

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

Shut up.

Della529
by Matlock on Aug. 18, 2013 at 5:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting FromAtoZ:

I am looking forward to seeing this movie.

There is no reason to have such a police presence.  I would have been livid, if not offended, at the suggestion.

PinkButterfly66
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 5:26 PM

Wow, in Silver Spring?  That's not a backwards po dunk town, either.  Regal cinemas also started doing purse checks in VA right after Holmes shot up the Colorado cinemas.  They weren't checking the men AND it wasn't security doing the checking either, it was the kids that take the tickets.  We stopped going to that theater for a while.  The last time we went, they weren't doing it any more.

Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 5:39 PM
3 moms liked this
My oldest dd and I cannot wait to see this movie. We are hoping to go this week.

Sounds like the theater made a lot of ASSumptions.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)