Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Convicted Pedophile Jerry Sandusky's Victim Gets Huge Payout - Should the school have to pay?

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 10:09 AM
  • 45 Replies

Convicted Pedophile Jerry Sandusky's Victim Gets Huge Payout

by Jeanne Sager

Jerry SanduskyHere's a name we haven't missed in the news. We haven't heard much from former Penn State Assistant Football Coach Jerry Sandusky since his conviction on 45 counts of sexual abuse last year, but his name is back in the news. Because while the pedophile is safely ensconced behind bars -- unable to ever hurt another child -- his victims are still looking for justice.

At least one of them has gotten it -- a 25-year-old man identified as "Victim 5" is the first of the many boys Sandusky hurt while running Second Mile, a football program for at-risk youth on the college campus. He sued Penn State for the trauma he endured, and he won!

Victim 5 reportedly met Sandusky via Second Mile and attended football games at Penn State with him. He said he was groped in the school's showers by the convicted pedophile and was one of the eight young men who bravely testified during Sandusky's trial. Now he will be getting several million dollars out of Penn State.

He's the first victim to get money but surely won't be the last. A total of 26 settlements are expected to come out in the weeks and months ahead, all based on claims made by young men hurt by Sandusky. The claims could hurt the university but is not expected to bankrupt the school, which will go after Second Mile for remuneration.

What do you think of the university paying out? Should the school have to pay up?

by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 10:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
happinessforyou
by Bronze Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 2:01 PM

I guess that as an employee of the school, the school should pay for what their employee did while on company time/company location etc..etc..

BUT-his own estate should have to pay too (insurance-whatever). His wife should be selling off all of their assets and emptying their accounts to pay back something to his victims.

AND- all of the employees who admitted/proved to have known what was going on should be paying too!

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 2:01 PM
5 moms liked this

Yes, the university should have to pay out, because its agents (other coaches, and athletic workers) covered up the scandal.

Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Aug. 19, 2013 at 2:03 PM

I completely read the title wrong... I thought it was talking about the perv himself getting money... >.< ( i sooooo need glasses.. and a hearing aide .. fuck me)

anyway, yes, I think the victim should get a payout.

mamav2215
by Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 2:55 PM

if he had not used the football program and the school to abuse children... then no. but he molested children in the SHOWERS owned by the school and the school turned a blind eye. So then yes.... i do. 

mariekay
by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 3:20 PM
1 mom liked this

I think the school should pay because it helped cover up the crimes.  

lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 3:27 PM
2 moms liked this
Any institution that aids in the cover up of a sex abuse sandal should have to pay.
ThatTXMom
by Platinum Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 4:00 PM
Totally and completely agree.

Quoting TranquilMind:

Yes, the university should have to pay out, because its agents (other coaches, and athletic workers) covered up the scandal.

mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 4:15 PM

You don't get to cover up a henious crime and not pay for it in one way or another. A fine like this could be an incentive to not be fucking pieces of human garbage in the future. As in, don't cover up crimes just to save face. 

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Aug. 19, 2013 at 4:15 PM

The school aided in allowing this man to continue on with his horrific actions.

Yes, they absolutely should have to pay out.

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 4:53 PM

the school covered it up, so yes they should pay

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured