Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Student Artwork Saying 'God is Dead' Incites Protest From Georgia Mom

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 1:44 PM
  • 156 Replies

Student Artwork Saying 'God is Dead' Incites Protest From Georgia Mom Crystal Miller

article image

Should a school be allowed to display student artwork that comments on the current life status of the deity? That question now faces a school district in Georgia, which is hanging an illustration containing the phrase, “God is dead,” on a classroom wall.

A mom in Newton County, Ga., was upset when her 10th grade daughter came home and told her about the artwork, which depicts a young, blonde girl frowning next to the offending quotation.

"It doesn't have a place on the school wall — just doesn't have a place in public school," Crystal Miller told Atlanta TV station WAGA.

But administrators at Alcovy High School say the poster will stay put. Miller is simply confused about the context in the proclamation of the Supreme Being’s demise is stated. The phrase “God is Dead” is a well-known passage in the 1953 play, "The Crucible," by acclaimed American playwright Arthur Miller.

The play dramatizes the Salem Witch Trials that took place in 1692 and uses the hysteria of that historical incident as an allegory for the anti-Communist hysteria of the time in which Miller authored the play. After writing the drama, which is considered one of the great works of the American theater, Miller himself was investigated for alleged Communist sympathies.

The controversial student artwork prominently displays the title, "The Crucible."

“Thousands of students read this book every year,” said Sherri Davis-Viniard, a spokeswoman for the Newton County school system. “If it’s not appropriate on the classroom wall, where is it appropriate?”

Miller, however, disagreed and even started a Facebook page to protest the “God is dead” artwork.

"If my child can't pray in school and they've taken religion out of school, for this to be plastered on the walls of the public school is a huge concern to me," Mitchell said.

On the Facebook page, which had garnered more than 1,200 “likes” as of Monday morning, Miller discusses the controversy and the attention it has brought her, saying, “I am telling myself and my family this is a roller coaster ride for Christ and for what we believe in ... for the love of God! We've got this!!”

SOURCES: MyFoxAtlanta, The Blaze, Huffington Post

by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 1:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stringtheory
by Gold Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 1:50 PM
5 moms liked this
So no literary allusions in student art at public schools. Got it, now kindly remove religious description from history books. Also, parts of the bible were required reading when I was in 10th grade; perfectly acceptable because it was for my literature class. We discussed the use of parable, the poetry of psalms, etc. Soooo...
"What is she so afraid if?!"
Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Aug. 19, 2013 at 2:05 PM
1 mom liked this

So, the crucible shouldn't be read in schools? I mean, if that is what the artwork was alluding to... *needs to get the Crucible... *

PhoenixsMommy10
by Bronze Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 2:07 PM
4 moms liked this
Some people will get all worked up over anything.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stormcris
by Christy on Aug. 19, 2013 at 2:09 PM
1 mom liked this

For those trying to tell everyone else how to live move to the Stepford community and then all will act the same.

LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 2:10 PM

I wonder what her stance is on artwork depicting Jesus.  Is that allowed, to her mind, or does she just want anythign she percieves as (since she's an idiot and doesn't realize it's a line from a classic work of art itself) differing from her belief to be banned? 

meriana
by Platinum Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 2:11 PM
5 moms liked this

And if a student did artwork from another book (or even that same book) that suggested or quoted a positive towards God, and it was hung in the classroom, there'd be a huge uproar about the school endorsing religion. If they can't have anything that someone just might view as endorsing religion or that offends someone because they aren't religious in any way, then they shouldn't be able to hang things that endorse a lack of religious belief either.

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 2:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Maybe her kid doesn't belong in public school.

julainepw
by Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 2:17 PM
5 moms liked this
If they are going for no religion in school, God related images and messages should not be displayed either positive or negative.
12hellokitty
by Platinum Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 2:20 PM
3 moms liked this
Considering atheist organizations are suing schools for having anything related to religion why would this reference be any different? Let me guess because it is a negative reference atheist can come up with reasons it should be allowed.....
Quoting stringtheory:

So no literary allusions in student art at public schools. Got it, now kindly remove religious description from history books. Also, parts of the bible were required reading when I was in 10th grade; perfectly acceptable because it was for my literature class. We discussed the use of parable, the poetry of psalms, etc. Soooo...

stringtheory
by Gold Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 2:31 PM
Except they are not suing over ANYTHING related to religion. Please see my original comment for examples.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Considering atheist organizations are suing schools for having anything related to religion why would this reference be any different? Let me guess because it is a negative reference atheist can come up with reasons it should be allowed.....

Quoting stringtheory:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)