Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Student Artwork Saying 'God is Dead' Incites Protest From Georgia Mom

Posted by   + Show Post

Student Artwork Saying 'God is Dead' Incites Protest From Georgia Mom Crystal Miller

article image

Should a school be allowed to display student artwork that comments on the current life status of the deity? That question now faces a school district in Georgia, which is hanging an illustration containing the phrase, “God is dead,” on a classroom wall.

A mom in Newton County, Ga., was upset when her 10th grade daughter came home and told her about the artwork, which depicts a young, blonde girl frowning next to the offending quotation.

"It doesn't have a place on the school wall — just doesn't have a place in public school," Crystal Miller told Atlanta TV station WAGA.

But administrators at Alcovy High School say the poster will stay put. Miller is simply confused about the context in the proclamation of the Supreme Being’s demise is stated. The phrase “God is Dead” is a well-known passage in the 1953 play, "The Crucible," by acclaimed American playwright Arthur Miller.

The play dramatizes the Salem Witch Trials that took place in 1692 and uses the hysteria of that historical incident as an allegory for the anti-Communist hysteria of the time in which Miller authored the play. After writing the drama, which is considered one of the great works of the American theater, Miller himself was investigated for alleged Communist sympathies.

The controversial student artwork prominently displays the title, "The Crucible."

“Thousands of students read this book every year,” said Sherri Davis-Viniard, a spokeswoman for the Newton County school system. “If it’s not appropriate on the classroom wall, where is it appropriate?”

Miller, however, disagreed and even started a Facebook page to protest the “God is dead” artwork.

"If my child can't pray in school and they've taken religion out of school, for this to be plastered on the walls of the public school is a huge concern to me," Mitchell said.

On the Facebook page, which had garnered more than 1,200 “likes” as of Monday morning, Miller discusses the controversy and the attention it has brought her, saying, “I am telling myself and my family this is a roller coaster ride for Christ and for what we believe in ... for the love of God! We've got this!!”

SOURCES: MyFoxAtlanta, The Blaze, Huffington Post

by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 1:44 PM
Replies (151-156):
kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 1:24 AM
2 moms liked this
Yeah, considering you do not vet your sources either for bias or accuracy, I seriously doubt anyone takes you seriously anywhere, unless you are talking about like minded people who don't care about accuracy and fair/balanced information.

Quoting Looking4Truth:

Hahahaha So you are psychic?  I'm taken very seriously in every group I'm a member of here at CM except for this one, and it doesn't at all surprise me.  I am also taken very seriously on several other sites where I post in a group forum.  I'm sorry....but your psychic abilities aren't very accurate.  As far as whether or not anyone in this particular group takes me seriously, well, I really couldn't care less what the people in this group think.

Quoting kailu1835:

Of course you can. But you will never be taken seriously, on cm or any other forum.

Quoting Looking4Truth:

I can post a link to any site that I choose.  End of story.

Quoting kailu1835:

Here's a hint... Don't post a link you haven't vetted to see if there is any obvious bias.

Quoting Looking4Truth:

Good Grief, is everyone on this site off their medication?  I simply clicked on the very first site that came up after I clicked "Search."  How in the heck am I supposed to know what's IN a bloody sight when I've never been there before and I just happened to click on the first answer that popped up???  WOW!  Are you for real?  Seriously, you and the other paranoid women here who expect me to have ESP so that I already know what a site is about that I've never seen or heard about before are amazing!!!  Now I'm starting to find this hilarious!!  I'll tell you what.  Why don't you type in a question and then when all the sites come up, click on the very first one just because it's the first one and it's at the top.  Then once you've done that, I'll comment that you are a hate-filled whatever because you clicked on that very first site!  I mean really, the sheer audacity of you not knowing exactly what was in a site you'd never seen before!!!  How dare you!!!   Really?  You people make me laugh!!  Unbelievable!!!

Quoting kailu1835:

We know this because you posted a link to an anti Muslim hate site.

Quoting Looking4Truth:

So I frequent "anti-Islamic hate sites" do I?  And how would you know this?  Are you psychic?  I don't "frequent" any anti-Islamic web sites young lady.  I looked the one up today that I posted here as a reference for you.  As far as my Muslim friend goes, she knows everything about me and what I do as well as what I believe.  We are best friends, and we have agreed to disagree regarding certain beliefs that we both hold.  Some of our beliefs are in agreement, but others are complete opposites. I've known her for over 20 years, and if the fact that she is a staunch Muslim and I am a Gnostic Christian hasn't ruined our friendship yet, I highly doubt it will. 

Here's my edit....I highly respect Muslims and what they believe.  I admire their devotion to Allah, in how they wash before they pray and that they pray 5 times a day.  They are a peaceful people just as Christians are.  The only thing I am staunchly against are extremists, in any religion, even Christianity.  If you wonder how a Gnostic Christian can be best friends with a Muslim, it's because she is a loving, caring, funny, supportive, loyal and giving human being.  Her boys are awesome, and her hubby is also a very good man.  My friend is well aware of what Islamic extremists do and of how I feel about it.  It changes nothing about our relationship, nor does the fact that she believes Jesus Christ to be a prophet, whereas I believe Him to be the direct Son of God.  True friends don't let anything come between them, and that's how she and I are, and have been for many years now.

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

Does your Muslim friend know that you frequent anti-Islamic hate sites and quote them as representative of her faith?

Quoting Looking4Truth:

I really couldn't care less what you believe.  My friend doesn't need you to believe in her either! haha I'd actually tell you their names, but when I emailed her about your dumb response, she said people like you weren't worth responding to.  Oh well.  I tried.  As far as the 109 verses go, you really ought to do some research on that.  But since you're unable to do any research on your own, try this site.  It's all here.  http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/Quran/023-violence.htm   Oh, and by the way, I never said that any Muslim, Jew, or Christian saidthat we worship different Gods.  I simply said that Muslims believe their God to be different from the Christian God.  The Muslim God requires things from His followers that the Christian God does NOT require from His.  Sure, there is only one God, but different religions see Him differently.  Sheesh!  Even a child could understand that!

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

Yanno, I think I'm going to have to say, bullshit.  I just don't believe you.

I have NEVER in my entire life heard a single Muslim say that we worship different gods, or that they are different.

And for the record, you don't come across as anyone who would be friendly to a Muslim, but perhaps that's just my perception.  Or maybe it's your whole "109 versus calling them to war" crap.  

Allah is God.  God is Allah.

Quoting Looking4Truth:

I lived with a Muslim the whole time I went to college. She and I were roommates, and it was just the two of us in a dorm room.  I also have a best friend who is Muslim.  Muslims believe their Allah to be very different from the Christian God.  The Quran contains 109 versus that call them to war with non-believers, or infidels.  They do NOT take kindly to hearing anyone mock their Allah, whereas Christians put up with it all the time.  I think it is YOU who need to educate yourself!

Quoting sha_lyn68:

Quoting Looking4Truth:

I find it very interesting that people are allowed to say anything they want against God.  They can curse Him, hang up posters, protest and demand that God be removed from everything, but if this situation were about the Muslim God Allah, everyone would bend over backwards to make sure they didn't offend Muslim belief. Nobody dares criticize Allah. This country and everyone in it walks on eggshells when it comes to what the Muslims believe.  So why is it ok to completely disrespect the God that Christians believe in, when this would never be tolerated if it were about the Muslim God Allah?  It seems to me that this is an enormous example of pure hypocrisy on the part of our government, and on the part of the people in America.  How warped this is...and how very sad.

Muslims worship the same god that Christians do. Allah is the Arabic word for God. Please educate yourself.

autodidact
by Platinum Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 1:29 AM
1 mom liked this

except her child CAN pray in school . . .

susannah2000
by Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 1:50 AM

I think "Georgia Mom" needs to mind her own business, and this kid's artwork, and his teacher's class material, is not her business.

Looking4Truth
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Whatever, blah blah blah

Quoting kailu1835:

Yeah, considering you do not vet your sources either for bias or accuracy, I seriously doubt anyone takes you seriously anywhere, unless you are talking about like minded people who don't care about accuracy and fair/balanced information.

Quoting Looking4Truth:

Hahahaha So you are psychic?  I'm taken very seriously in every group I'm a member of here at CM except for this one, and it doesn't at all surprise me.  I am also taken very seriously on several other sites where I post in a group forum.  I'm sorry....but your psychic abilities aren't very accurate.  As far as whether or not anyone in this particular group takes me seriously, well, I really couldn't care less what the people in this group think.

Quoting kailu1835:

Of course you can. But you will never be taken seriously, on cm or any other forum.

Quoting Looking4Truth:

I can post a link to any site that I choose.  End of story.

Quoting kailu1835:

Here's a hint... Don't post a link you haven't vetted to see if there is any obvious bias.

Quoting Looking4Truth:

Good Grief, is everyone on this site off their medication?  I simply clicked on the very first site that came up after I clicked "Search."  How in the heck am I supposed to know what's IN a bloody sight when I've never been there before and I just happened to click on the first answer that popped up???  WOW!  Are you for real?  Seriously, you and the other paranoid women here who expect me to have ESP so that I already know what a site is about that I've never seen or heard about before are amazing!!!  Now I'm starting to find this hilarious!!  I'll tell you what.  Why don't you type in a question and then when all the sites come up, click on the very first one just because it's the first one and it's at the top.  Then once you've done that, I'll comment that you are a hate-filled whatever because you clicked on that very first site!  I mean really, the sheer audacity of you not knowing exactly what was in a site you'd never seen before!!!  How dare you!!!   Really?  You people make me laugh!!  Unbelievable!!!

Quoting kailu1835:

We know this because you posted a link to an anti Muslim hate site.

Quoting Looking4Truth:

So I frequent "anti-Islamic hate sites" do I?  And how would you know this?  Are you psychic?  I don't "frequent" any anti-Islamic web sites young lady.  I looked the one up today that I posted here as a reference for you.  As far as my Muslim friend goes, she knows everything about me and what I do as well as what I believe.  We are best friends, and we have agreed to disagree regarding certain beliefs that we both hold.  Some of our beliefs are in agreement, but others are complete opposites. I've known her for over 20 years, and if the fact that she is a staunch Muslim and I am a Gnostic Christian hasn't ruined our friendship yet, I highly doubt it will. 

Here's my edit....I highly respect Muslims and what they believe.  I admire their devotion to Allah, in how they wash before they pray and that they pray 5 times a day.  They are a peaceful people just as Christians are.  The only thing I am staunchly against are extremists, in any religion, even Christianity.  If you wonder how a Gnostic Christian can be best friends with a Muslim, it's because she is a loving, caring, funny, supportive, loyal and giving human being.  Her boys are awesome, and her hubby is also a very good man.  My friend is well aware of what Islamic extremists do and of how I feel about it.  It changes nothing about our relationship, nor does the fact that she believes Jesus Christ to be a prophet, whereas I believe Him to be the direct Son of God.  True friends don't let anything come between them, and that's how she and I are, and have been for many years now.

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

Does your Muslim friend know that you frequent anti-Islamic hate sites and quote them as representative of her faith?

Quoting Looking4Truth:

I really couldn't care less what you believe.  My friend doesn't need you to believe in her either! haha I'd actually tell you their names, but when I emailed her about your dumb response, she said people like you weren't worth responding to.  Oh well.  I tried.  As far as the 109 verses go, you really ought to do some research on that.  But since you're unable to do any research on your own, try this site.  It's all here.  http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/Quran/023-violence.htm   Oh, and by the way, I never said that any Muslim, Jew, or Christian saidthat we worship different Gods.  I simply said that Muslims believe their God to be different from the Christian God.  The Muslim God requires things from His followers that the Christian God does NOT require from His.  Sure, there is only one God, but different religions see Him differently.  Sheesh!  Even a child could understand that!

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

Yanno, I think I'm going to have to say, bullshit.  I just don't believe you.

I have NEVER in my entire life heard a single Muslim say that we worship different gods, or that they are different.

And for the record, you don't come across as anyone who would be friendly to a Muslim, but perhaps that's just my perception.  Or maybe it's your whole "109 versus calling them to war" crap.  

Allah is God.  God is Allah.

Quoting Looking4Truth:

I lived with a Muslim the whole time I went to college. She and I were roommates, and it was just the two of us in a dorm room.  I also have a best friend who is Muslim.  Muslims believe their Allah to be very different from the Christian God.  The Quran contains 109 versus that call them to war with non-believers, or infidels.  They do NOT take kindly to hearing anyone mock their Allah, whereas Christians put up with it all the time.  I think it is YOU who need to educate yourself!

Quoting sha_lyn68:

Quoting Looking4Truth:

I find it very interesting that people are allowed to say anything they want against God.  They can curse Him, hang up posters, protest and demand that God be removed from everything, but if this situation were about the Muslim God Allah, everyone would bend over backwards to make sure they didn't offend Muslim belief. Nobody dares criticize Allah. This country and everyone in it walks on eggshells when it comes to what the Muslims believe.  So why is it ok to completely disrespect the God that Christians believe in, when this would never be tolerated if it were about the Muslim God Allah?  It seems to me that this is an enormous example of pure hypocrisy on the part of our government, and on the part of the people in America.  How warped this is...and how very sad.

Muslims worship the same god that Christians do. Allah is the Arabic word for God. Please educate yourself.

Kristi831
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 3:05 PM
1 mom liked this

It sounds to me that the student was merely depicting a literary work. 

streetsmeethere
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 7:47 PM

I see nothing wrong with it. I do not think anything religious should be a source of propaganda in a public school but in this case it was an expression from a student that was in context to what they were studying. If they were studying world war two and had a star of David on a poster would anyone be upset?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured