Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

3 Oklahoma Teens Allegedly Killed Australian Baseball Player for Fun

Posted by   + Show Post

3 Oklahoma Teens Allegedly Killed Australian Baseball Player for Fun

As the family of an Australian baseball player gunned down in Oklahoma mourns his death, police said today that the athlete was targeted by three teenagers who simply "wanted to see someone die."

The suspects followed Chris Lane, 22, as he jogged alongside a road in Duncan, Okla., Friday afternoon, shot him in the back and left him to die on the side of the road, said Duncan police Chief Danny Ford.

"They were bored and just wanted to see somebody die," Ford told ABCNews.com.

Lane, who was on a baseball scholarship at East Central University in Ada, Okla., and was in town visiting his girlfriend, died shortly after he arrived at the hospital, Ford said.

While no one witnessed the shooting, Ford said several people heard a gunshot and reported seeing ablack car speeding away from the area of the shooting.

Authorities used surveillance video from local businesses, Ford said, and noticed a black vehicle had pulled behind a hotel for 11 minutes after the shooting before driving away.

A frantic three hours passed, Ford said, without any sign of the vehicle, until a call came in Friday evening "that there were three juveniles at a house with guns and wanting to kill somebody."

Ford said officers found three teens in the vehicle, which was parked at a church parking lot near the home.

"They were pretty uncooperative," Ford said. "[But] after questioning them and getting consent to search the car, we found evidence that made us believe they were involved."

Ford declined to elaborate on what evidence was found in the car. After the teens were arrested, Ford said the driver, who is 17, told police they were all at the scene of the slaying and that the 16-year-old suspect pulled the trigger.

The three teens, ages 15, 16 and 17, have been charged with first-degree murder. Their names have not been released and they have not yet been arraigned on the charges.

The killing of Lane has rattled the quiet town of 24,000, where Ford said he couldn't recall the last time there was a murder.

"I don't think we average one [murder] a year," he said. "Basically, we're a rural Oklahoma community."

Peter Lane told the Sydney Morning Herald his son was "a kid on the cusp of making his life."

"There's not going to be any good come out of this because it was just so senseless," Lane said.

"He was an athlete going for a jog like he would do five or six days a week in terms of his training schedule," he said. "It's happened, it's wrong and we just try and deal with it the best we can."

by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 9:39 PM
Replies (161-165):
candlegal
by Judy on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Quoting tooptimistic:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting tooptimistic:

What ever Sweets. 

Do you post racist things on twitter?  I know I don't.  Do you listen to racist music?  I know I don't.

I was asking you a legitimate question about your son. 

Just because the officers listed the one as white, doesn't mean if he has a black father he identifies with being white.  Its the only reason I asked about your son.  Your little guy has lighter skin, and may idenify as being black, like his dad.  Boys usually do identify with being like their dads.

What kind of stories am I making up now?  Very racist tweets  where posted.  They talked about knocking off woods (whites) and then they shot down a white guy in cold blood.  That's not a story, thats all true. 

What difference would be to you if they charged these three with a hate crime? 

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Children shouldn't be brought into these conversations

All you conservatives feel the need to discuss my children's race when ever this crap comes up- it's disgusting

The driver was white - it was listed by the police . One was black the other biracial

What is so hard to understand about that?

You are making stories up that he was targeted because of race. Why? Why lie about it?

Because that's the conservative racist position being pushed

Except they didnt realize the one teen was white or the other has a white mom

And they were racist? Or one was quoting rap lyrics on Twitter but hanging with a white and biracial friend?

Quoting tooptimistic:

Oh, so because he had one light skinned friend he wasn't racist..  OOOOKAY. 

Why do you think it wasn't a hate crime?  Why be so admant it wasn't.

The one was tweeting very racist things, and was an obvious racist.  I think he was picked because he was white.  That's a hate crime.

When I asked about your son I wasn't being snarky.  I was wondering if you considered him black or white.  The driver in

this case looks like he is probably biracial too, even though I don't think its been said yet.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Why would they it wasn't a hate crime

Again more righties trying to make it about something it isn't

One of the teens may or may not have been racist (seems odd that he would have a white friend and a bi-racial friend if her were so racist)

As for my little guy he is biracial when he gets older he will self identify and yes he is very light. His skin is as white as mine ....and none of that has anything to do with this case

Quoting tooptimistic:

I wonder if they will charge them a hate crime then.

Quoting dawnie1:

It has been made racial now. It has been reported that one of the killers tweeted that 90% of white people were nasty and he hated them. 

No, but some of the music I have on my ipod I have no doubt you would consider racist. I have everything from Barry Manilow to Wutang....but I don't quote it on Twitter The only reason you asked is because you are wrong and decided discussing my kids and their race would distract from that. What you did is deplorable. Leave my kids and their race OUT OF YOUR posts. If you cannot make your point without bringing in my kids racial status than you have no point worth making

No it was a legitimate questions, and not a distraction.  Sorry it offended you so much. The chip on  you sholder is so heavy it must be hard to carry around every day.  You are the one who is obsessed with race. 

Oh, and something is either racist or its not..  Listening to racist music says so very much about you.

Have a good day, sweets.

Someone on here seriously needs a name change.

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:54 AM

No it was a legitimate questions, and not a distraction.  Sorry it offended you so much. The chip on  you sholder is so heavy it must be hard to carry around every day.  You are the one who is obsessed with race. 

Oh, and something is either racist or its not..  Listening to racist music says so very much about you.

Have a good day, sweets.

No, it was a disgusting attempt to bring my kids into a conversation that has NOTHING to do with them....

No chip on these shoulders. Calling out women who use children and their race doesn't indicate a chip....you deserved to be called out on that. it was low and unecessary and indicates your lack of character

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Have a good day, sweets.

I have a few suggestions for you and her

candlegal
by Judy on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:59 AM

LOL

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Have a good day, sweets.

I have a few suggestions for you and her

tooptimistic
by Kelly on Aug. 27, 2013 at 11:20 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting tooptimistic:

Quoting sweet-a-kins

No, but some of the music I have on my ipod I have no doubt you would consider racist. I have everything from Barry Manilow to Wutang....but I don't quote it on Twitter The only reason you asked is because you are wrong and decided discussing my kids and their race would distract from that. What you did is deplorable. Leave my kids and their race OUT OF YOUR posts. If you cannot make your point without bringing in my kids racial status than you have no point worth making

Have a good day, sweets.

LIAR...  You LIE..

sidesplittinglaughter

We should stop and just let  her have the last word.. If you say it loud enough,  big enough then  you must be right, don't you know.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)